HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I couldn't hellp but notice that people are living in this building! There are lights on at night there are posters up on the walls it amazing they want to live in this semi-done building. I guess they don't have to worry much about the noise of construction the Moe's only work for three hours a day (if that) and not everyday either.

I'm still reserving judgement on this but so far it looks unique and somewhat beutiful.

I drove by there tonight and with the lights on inside you can see there is one suite on the 3rd floor at the corner of Cornwallis that is finished or nearly so. Maybe the Moes live there to save on rent.

The red cladding looks bad, the other colors less so. The red stuff seems to be all scuffed and faded.

Edited to add: The crane went up in July, 2006, so it has been under construction for well over 2 years.

Last edited by Keith P.; Aug 2, 2008 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:21 AM
we built this city

Who wants to bet they won't be done by the end of the summer?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Who wants to bet they won't be done by the end of the summer?
I'll bet they won't be done by the new year.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 2:55 AM

I drove past Spice tonight and I wonder if the Moes are abandoning that goofy siding. In the balcony bays they are using what looks like either beige vinyl siding or clapboard, possibly Hardiplank. On the walls on the Barrington side in certain sections is vertically-corrugated paneling of some sort, maybe metal, maybe not. It all looks very strange now.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I drove past Spice tonight and I wonder if the Moes are abandoning that goofy siding. In the balcony bays they are using what looks like either beige vinyl siding or clapboard, possibly Hardiplank. On the walls on the Barrington side in certain sections is vertically-corrugated paneling of some sort, maybe metal, maybe not. It all looks very strange now.
As I recall from the renderings... those sections were always supposed to be beige.

Also... someone recently posted that this must be the slowest construction project of all time. No way. That honor definitely goes to the Glubes Loft Townhouses on Cornwallis Street. That's been under construction since before Spice was even a glimmer in the developers eye.

http://www.glubeslofttownhouses.com/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 2:42 PM

I also noticed the beige colour this week. Maybe we should start calling this the "rainbow building"? Of course that implies that it is beautiful, which IMO it is not.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 3:35 PM

This building just keeps getting uglier and uglier every time...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 1:06 AM

So once again I am lead to believe people ARE living in this building. I was talking to someone today who is already moved into the building. The bought their condo for $150'000 pre-construction (~$200'000 now) with an additional charge of $10'000 for a parking spot.

They've named each room a different type of spice (thyme, cinnamon, orengeno, ect).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 2:25 AM

I also saw people coming out of it yesterday that looked like they were living there. Not everyone is in. A friend of mine has a friend who bought in the building and the report there is that he was suppose to move in February. He let his apartment go and has spent the last several months living at home waiting for them to hurry up and finish! Just another story that reminds me of my vow not to buy into new condos.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 6:29 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 4:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a flickr photo (from baseman79) that shows this development:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bfoto/2870847173/sizes/l/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 11:22 AM

It is still proceeding at a glacier-like pace. There were several lifts and cranes there this week to assist with the exterior siding which still looks like crap. I would not expect it to be close to finished for at least another 6 months at this rate.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 3:15 PM
You talkin' to me?

With the slow rate of which this is getting built, I wonder what kind of effect the elements have had on it in this time? If I were a buyer, I certainly would not trust it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 6:17 PM

I know it's a bit late in the game now, but this building should have been 2-3 times taller.

Does anyone know how long this construction has been going on? It's been over 2 years hasn't it?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 8:32 PM

The crane went up in July, 2006, so it has been well over 2 years.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:00 AM

It doesnt look like its moving..

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:43 AM

This one has picked up, its moving quite nicely now. They have added almost all the remaining facade and balconies.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 4:42 PM

By the way, the lower horizontal red panels have been painted black. Looks much better. I still think there are one (or two) too many colours going on though. And they won't be able to paint the rectangular red panels because they are surrounded by those aluminum trim pieces.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 2:11 PM

I heard though my friend that the unit owners were given the choice of having their deposits back and giving up their units because the construction was taking so long. I was also in to this sales office in the summer, where the agent confirmed that and said the delay was due to troubles finding workers (makes you wonder if they pay the moes a decent wage). At that time, some of the units were occupied while others had no finishing whatsoever (since they were focusing on completing the owned units). I was into one unfinished unit where I found rust inside an electric outlet box. Was the wiring completed before the windows were in? I was not impressed.
While new condos like this and the Waterton, and others have been delayed due to labour issues, I believe that others like Gladstone Ridge and Armoury Square were completed on schedule. I would be concerned about buying a new condo because of this, but I would just look to buy from a developer that consistently builds "right" and on time. Though honestly I thought briefly about buying a place in Spice, and never imagined or got the impression that the building would be so late.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 5:26 PM

It appears that a good percentage of the building is occupied now. I've seen cars coming in and out of the garage and last night over half the windows had lights on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth