HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:37 AM

TD really blends in now.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:07 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Sometimes I can't resist doing these drawings, so I took a stab at it.

I would hope it might look better than this.
It actually looks too busy even to me, and I did the drawing.
It could have been all glass, but I went with the jelly bean look.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:15 AM

Hahaha, I can honestly say that I hope it doesn't look like that, no offence of course. The drawing is quite entertaining, but I am hoping for something modern, classy and taller than AP, even if it is only slightly taller. I don't think I could bare the flat roof effect if AP and the garage were the same height. Talk about the great wall effect!

I love the drawing, it's quite entertaining, but as a proposal it's not exactly my cup of tea

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:19 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

No offence taken, but my guess is that it would be this kind of configuration, maybe more modern and more glass, without the jelly bean colours, but no taller than Atlantic Place. It's already 12 stories when you include the garage. I came up with this using what seems to be current design trends in other proposals in St.John's.

Feel free to take the drawing and alter it if you like.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:26 AM

Don't tell me that!! Oh well, if it were to be the same height as Atlantic Place, I would hope the reclad of the garage is extensive enough so that it looks nothing like AP or even a parking garage for that matter.

I would like the configuration you came up with if it was slightly taller by a few stories and had a bit more glass, but I have no problem with a hint of jellybean thrown in there to add a bit of flare!

Edit: how would I alter the drawing?? How do you come up with these designs anyway, are you an architect or some sort of engineer by profession?? You come up with great designs and renders

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I'm not really an architect but I know a fair bit about it from education and experience in the field. Someone can alter the drawing using cut and paste etc in a paint program I guess. I started the drawing using all glass, then just added some grey solids, and thought it would look more interesting like this. Anyway, such a design would need a lot more thought, refinement, and resolution in reality.

Edit - if I was a registered architect I probably wouldn't be giving away my ideas for free.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:35 AM

I have to say, it's growing on me haha! If only there were a few more stories I would be sold

Argggg.. all this waiting for official news on all these rumours is killing me!!

and very true

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:48 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I might try doing some more variations when I have time. . . .but I have no idea what they might be planning in reality.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:27 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here is something more modern I dreamt up then, including a total reclad.

3 versions I played around with, again I hope they do something better than this:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:25 PM

Another way to create these renders is to download Google Sketch-up (free version). There is a tab that allows you to import buildings (and a million other objects) from an online google library. Atlantic Place and the Garage are actually in the library as well as a number of other NL buildings. From there you can draw you own design of the hotel, edit the existing garage or import another building in the world and attach it on top. Sketch-up is really easy to use and makes for great sketches. Engineers and Architects use it all of the time for quick 3D sketches

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I wish the GG hotel wouldn't be exactly the same height as AP.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:32 PM

Nice sketches Architype. I wouldn't be surprised it the real design wasn't too far of those first two in your last post. I'd like for it to look like the third one but I don't think they would be able to build anything greater than a few stories without having to significantly upgrade the existing building. The cost of upgrading the foudations in an existing structure would be huge and I wouldn't think it would be feasible for the hotel to go down that route.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:41 PM

I think something similar to the Vic Suites in Halifax would be cool, I like the coloured glass balconies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post

DSCF0712 by teddifax57, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:43 PM

Who brought up the rumor about the second Fortis proposal? Just wondering, that's all....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Who brought up the rumor about the second Fortis proposal? Just wondering, that's all....
Christopher_chafe mentioned a few weeks ago and again a few days ago that a friend of his who works for Fortis said they were going to revive the proposal this year (in the fall after the election)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Christopher_chafe mentioned a few weeks ago and again a few days ago that a friend of his who works for Fortis said they were going to revive the proposal this year (in the fall after the election)
Cool, thanks!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:50 PM

And if Fortis has learned from their last proposal (which I believe they have) They will not propose a cheap, dated box this time around. They had better preserve the heritage facades on water street, or if they must tear them down, reconstruct real heritage facades there. Not cheap imitations. And the tower must look modern and beautiful-- even more so that Fortis Place! and be set back towards harbour drive.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
And if Fortis has learned from their last proposal (which I believe they have) They will not propose a cheap, dated box this time around. They had better preserve the heritage facades on water street, or if they must tear them down, reconstruct real heritage facades there. Not cheap imitations. And the tower must look modern and beautiful-- even more so that Fortis Place! and be set back towards harbour drive.
They said at the time the design could easily be changed and that the only reason they used that design was because they thought it would blend in and be more appropriate.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
They said at the time the design could easily be changed and that the only reason they used that design was because they thought it would blend in and be more appropriate.
Now that Fortis Place is built, they can make the design similar to Fortis Place so it will blend with that! That would be cool! It would be like a St. John's Purdys Wharf only spread apart, a little shorter, and much more attractive

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 12:48 PM

hey I wanted to put a question out to you guys

If developed in the right way continuing on the trend we are going economically and with the continued development of mega projects, how would you like St. John's to be in say 10-15 years? what is your ideal vision going into the future and were do you see the city's potential taking us? (keep in mind this is how YOU would like to see it if developed properly not a negative nancy question on how you think the current people in power will do )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's