HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:53 PM

The cap on the street party is likely the organizing committee, including the police, coming back with a really big bill to grow it any further. ie things like needing to perhaps bring in police officers from out of town/province to assist with crowd management. More people needed for setup, etc.

If you have a chance try to take a walk through the street party area after the street closures go in but before the area goes into lock down. It is actually fairly impress how large the area is. It also makes me wonder how the public space in True North Square would tie into all this. I still think it would have been better off for that development to have been built with the large opening that is on Carlton were to have faced onto Hargrave and the corner of the MTS Centre. The White Out Party then could have spilled along Graham and up Donald to Portage and also to the library park family zone.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:14 PM
What could go wrong?

I get what you are saying here about the opening facing Bell/MTS Place. TrueViking said it best though - they didn't design it for the 5 to 10 times a year where you could possibly have 20,000 people in the vicinity. It is designed to make it more comfortable in size and scope and to let the most light in by being open to the SW.....although I'm not sure how well that will work with two towers going up right across the street.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:26 PM

I understand security concerns but given the crowds and WPS saying there have been minimal problems, it seems a bit odd to assume a riot or something will break out because some fans cant get into the party.

They could always open it an hour or two earlier and use social media to alert when close to capacity. People wont come down if they know its full. And will instead spread out to local bars etc.

The ticketing system simply doesnt work. People buy maximum in case they find friends that want to go. Its not accessible for all people. And its a lousy PR issue.

Just go back to normal for Game 5. It might be the last one anyway...

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:47 PM

The fact that the Jets are in the conference final to begin with is a minor miracle to begin with, and yet people are still getting upset and miserable and predicting imminent losses just because they can't stand in the middle of a street to watch a game on TV without having to go to Ticketmaster's website to download a free ticket first. This is probably the most trivial complaint I've heard about anything this decade.

How about we all get a grip, focus on the big picture, and actually try to enjoy ourselves a bit?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The fact that the Jets are in the conference final to begin with is a minor miracle to begin with, and yet people are still getting upset and miserable and predicting imminent losses just because they can't stand in the middle of a street to watch a game on TV without having to go to Ticketmaster's website to download a free ticket first. This is probably the most trivial complaint I've heard about anything this decade.

How about we all get a grip, focus on the big picture, and actually try to enjoy ourselves a bit?
You're not wrong, but it just used to be simpler, and people wish it was. They assume it still IS simpler. Then we miss out while others were paying attention. I haven't been at a street party yet and only realized (somehow) that they required free tickets after round 2. I intended to simply walk down, as a reasonable person expecting reasonable access to public activities, and this would have ruined that.

Now I know.

BUT. Everybody is too damn afraid, whether for lawsuits, safety, terrorism, and while I'm not suggesting too manipulative a narrative, there's no way this doesn't benefit ticketmaster and the event organizers the most.

It seems everything is overly controlled these days. I hate how I can't call CAA Manitoba and not simply get an operator to explain the situation rather than listen to 10 options that only partly apply. The ability to simply "go and do" what you need to is hijacked by an obsessive use of unnecessary systems. Now we can't walk down the street to a viewing party without waiting online for ticket release. Overkill, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:

Because it's not an issue to you, does not mean its not an issue for others. Not everyone has a computer and internet access.

The complaint isnt that its hard to get (for me), its that they took a fun, cool thing and made it far smaller and less fun.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
You're not wrong, but it just used to be simpler, and people wish it was. They assume it still IS simpler. Then we miss out while others were paying attention. I haven't been at a street party yet and only realized (somehow) that they required free tickets after round 2. I intended to simply walk down, as a reasonable person expecting reasonable access to public activities, and this would have ruined that.

Now I know.

BUT. Everybody is too damn afraid, whether for lawsuits, safety, terrorism, and while I'm not suggesting too manipulative a narrative, there's no way this doesn't benefit ticketmaster and the event organizers the most.

It seems everything is overly controlled these days. I hate how I can't call CAA Manitoba and not simply get an operator to explain the situation rather than listen to 10 options that only partly apply. The ability to simply "go and do" what you need to is hijacked by an obsessive use of unnecessary systems. Now we can't walk down the street to a viewing party without waiting online for ticket release. Overkill, in my opinion.
Try calling WPS non -emergency. It used to be, someone answered. Now you have a long list to go through. We used to call Non-Emergency when we had a potential incident that was not an imminent disaster but was still pretty important. Easier to call 911 now. lol

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Because it's not an issue to you, does not mean its not an issue for others. Not everyone has a computer and internet access.

The complaint isnt that its hard to get (for me), its that they took a fun, cool thing and made it far smaller and less fun.
Or a credit card.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Next page.

Here's something TNS related

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:12 PM
BANNED

^Yeah, somebody fucked up and actually returned to the topic

I like these buildings, they remind me of Toronto's city hall

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:15 PM

Looks like they're making good progress on the glass. It would be nice to have a feed of the square. I have no idea what it looks like in there or how it's coming.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Try calling WPS non -emergency. It used to be, someone answered. Now you have a long list to go through. We used to call Non-Emergency when we had a potential incident that was not an imminent disaster but was still pretty important. Easier to call 911 now. lol
I had to deal with non-emergency two years back concur. Brutal experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
^Yeah, somebody fucked up and actually returned to the topic
lol fair

Quote:
lol what?

How?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Me too. Not quite the same circularity but very similar look and feel from inside the square:

image from: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
That doesn't matter once it's built. What counts is the number you use to promote it before construction.

Pre-construction real estate listings for houses inevitably show them surrounded by mature forest, not another house in sight. Even though they'll be dense-packed side-by-side with other houses, maybe with a fresh sapling or two in the yard.

Crowd-attracting features are the same thing for commercial buildings. I'm still waiting for the farmers' market at the base of 201 Portage used to promote it before it was built.

Which is why we've seen all the promotional images of crowds watching fireworks going off within in the TNS square, which would never happen in real life. Or the earlier images of with light rail transit along the square plus dozens of funnelators that would never fit in real life.
They've had one the past two summers I believe.

https://globalnews.ca/event/3421112/...armers-market/

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I've been to 5 whiteout street parties now including the last one. Although it certainly wasn't the throng that came out for Game 6 Nashville, it still seemed pretty big, I'd say comparable to the earlier games in round 2. I think part of the problem is that the crowd counts earlier were ESTIMATED. For those games, I noticed at some entrances to the party, an official was using a hand counter to click off people coming in, but not counting people coming out. So I thinking with people leaving and coming back again, they were getting double counted! At one of the other entrances, no one was counting at all! So I'm thinking crowd counts were OVER estimated. For these last two games, attendants were using electronic devices to scan every ticket coming in...if someone left and reentered later, the would get scanned back in but they wouldn't be counted twice.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:16 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

So... anybody know what happened to the image on why it's gone or is it just me?

EDIT: Never mind, it was me. Carry on!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Has anyone ever seen the movie "Beefeaters?|

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I've been to 5 whiteout street parties now including the last one. Although it certainly wasn't the throng that came out for Game 6 Nashville, it still seemed pretty big, I'd say comparable to the earlier games in round 2. I think part of the problem is that the crowd counts earlier were ESTIMATED. For those games, I noticed at some entrances to the party, an official was using a hand counter to click off people coming in, but not counting people coming out. So I thinking with people leaving and coming back again, they were getting double counted! At one of the other entrances, no one was counting at all! So I'm thinking crowd counts were OVER estimated. For these last two games, attendants were using electronic devices to scan every ticket coming in...if someone left and reentered later, the would get scanned back in but they wouldn't be counted twice.
I had a game ticket, so they just looked at it and didn't scan it – so anyone with a game ticket that went in presumably wasn't counted in R3 G1&2.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:30 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan