HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 1:09 PM

these towers do NOT need spires!!! LOL we need massive bulk all the way up to 1216ft! the design is glassy and not too boxy, i think its nice!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
And that's the difference between office towers and residential towers. Office buildings of today need large floor plates, where residential towers don't require large spaces. The towers could have tapered more dramatically, pushing the height higher, but companies requiring large amounts of space wouldn't want the small floor area. It's also worth noting that the smaller of the MW towers has more space than each of Brookfield's Hudson Yards tower proposals.
Which may explain somewhat why residential high-rises are shorter than office based towers.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Which may explain somewhat why residential high-rises are shorter than office based towers.
Actually it probably has more to do with the fact that the average commercial highrise floor height is about 11 to 12 feet and the residential floor height is about 10 feet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 12:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Actually, if you look at the tallest buildings around the world, they are mostly residential/hotel on the upper floors or completely. The days of monster floorplates at the top like the Twin Towers are mostly over. Look at the Burj Dubai for example. A very slender and tall tower, but the floorplates are very small up there. The planned Tower Verre on 53rd Street is another good example.

These MW towers are pure bulk, but New York is known for that as well as spires...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...229BC1C549F%7D

Brookfield Properties Reports Strong Third Quarter 2008 Results

Oct. 29, 2008

Advanced developments under construction:

-- Bay Adelaide Centre, Toronto, was topped off on September 23; the project remains on schedule for Q3 2009 completion and is 72% leased;

-- Bankers Court, Calgary, which is 100% leased, was topped off on September 5. Curtain wall installation is nearing completion;

-- Two Reston Crescent, Virginia, received its Certificate of Occupancy subsequent to the third quarter;

-- 77 K Street, Washington, DC, was completed in the third quarter;

-- 1225 Connecticut Ave., Washington, DC, curtain wall was completed and mechanical equipment and electrical switchboards installed;
substantial completion is expected in the fourth quarter 2008;

-- Manhattan West, New York, continued early works on the railroad track bed in preparation for caisson installation.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 5:33 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Looks like construction on this project will start soon

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:28 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, Brookfield is smart to proceed with the platform. They'll be in the best position to get their project off the ground before any of the others.

A rough stich, if Brookfield controled the Hudson Yards, though Related's will be somewhat similar...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 1:08 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

These towers' impact (along with Hudson Yards) on Midtown West will be incredible.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 3:34 AM

Yes, the towers will make an impact, but, to be honest, I find them (as currently depicted) rather boring.

A location of this prominence cries out for something spectacular.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Yes, the towers will make an impact, but, to be honest, I find them (as currently depicted) rather boring.

A location of this prominence cries out for something spectacular.
Maybe, maybe not. As you can see from its location, it won't be the most prominent, assuming things go as currently being planned. There are other large westside developments that I left out of this graphic that would appear more prominent on the skyline or equal in stature. Still, I'm sure the final design will be better than what's been presented, which so far hasn't shown us any details.

The west side is the future of growth in New York...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:23 PM

^Don't forget to count in the Girasole, WPC and all that jazz.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:32 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

A new Business District will emerge from what currently are railyards and undeveloped lots.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 3:32 AM
Ex Houstonian

Are they building over the railroad tracks or getting rid of them altogether? I really hope this goes through. It will totally redefine the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Are they building over the railroad tracks or getting rid of them altogether? I really hope this goes through. It will totally redefine the skyline.

They're building over - those tracks lead directly into Penn Station, the busiest train terminal in the country. The much larger (Hudson Yards) are storage yards for the Long Island Railroad. There's also a 3rd railyard development that we don't discuss much, on the Hoboken side of the hudson. There's a potential (or proposal) for one supertall there also, but I don't know if it will go anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 4:38 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Are those the ones at the south end of Hoboken?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 11:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Are those the ones at the south end of Hoboken?
Directly over the railyards...
http://www.hudsonreporter.com/site/n...d=523585&rfi=6

BTW, although there is always work ongoing at this site, I have noticed more work on the trackbeds lately, but its hard to tell who's doing what.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 6:01 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Can anyone confirm this for me? It says on the front page that this will be residential, yet other sources are saying it will be offices (so far I've seen no mixed use reference). I've looked around a lot, but I can't seem to find anything really solid.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 6:31 PM
Baryonic Lord

blah...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:41 AM
Desert Dweller

Please build them!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Another miss for Brookfield...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008...34.htm?&page=0

December 10, 2008

Quote:
We've finally tracked down some actual tenant action at the still under construction 11 Times Square......Sources said the National Basketball Association, whose ongoing headquarters search is being led by Barry Gosin of Newmark Knight Frank, was bouncing around as recently as September, and even had some architectural game plans made.

Gosin said they are considering all their options and that they haven't looked at 11 Times Square in "a year or two."

The NBA is now at 645 Fifth Ave., and has been looking everywhere for new space, including at one point eyeing possible new Brookfield towers along Ninth Avenue near Madison Square Garden.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive