HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:32 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

One: You beat me to it, regarding which set of tracks
Two: I agree that having one station in between Springville and Spanish Fork (2700 N) will not effectively serve Spanish Fork Residents.

I wish the tracks ran on the east side of I-15 at the Sugar Factory, that could be transformed into one really cool TOD area. Oh well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:56 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

I wish the tracks ran on the east side of I-15 at the Sugar Factory, that could be transformed into one really cool TOD area. Oh well.
I live just east of the Sugar Factory. My proposal to a city councilman was to put the station at 100 S just west of I-15. Since Center Street would be a more accessible road for vehicles heading west, they should turn 100 S under I-15 into pedestrian only access. PM me if you'd be interested in me emailing you a PDF of my proposal graphic.

I would absolutely love to restore the Sugar Factory to original structural condition (stack and all) and have it either become a shopping center or a corporate office building. There's a bike/pedestrian trail that follows the river from the Sugar Factory and will eventually end up at the golf course near the canyon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:59 PM

New airport TRAX line to go to West Valley, not University

Utah Transit Authority officials say they know that many customers want a restoration of direct TRAX service between the University of Utah and downtown Salt Lake City, and have hoped that the new airport line will bring that. It won’t, officials said Wednesday — at least not initially.

UTA General Manager Mike Allegra told his board that its research shows the most efficient configuration to move traffic is for the green line to go from West Valley City to the airport when that extension is complete, and for the red line to continue between the university and South Jordan.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...#disqus_thread

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post
New airport TRAX line to go to West Valley, not University

Utah Transit Authority officials say they know that many customers want a restoration of direct TRAX service between the University of Utah and downtown Salt Lake City, and have hoped that the new airport line will bring that. It won’t, officials said Wednesday — at least not initially.

UTA General Manager Mike Allegra told his board that its research shows the most efficient configuration to move traffic is for the green line to go from West Valley City to the airport when that extension is complete, and for the red line to continue between the university and South Jordan.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...#disqus_thread
Read the comments of that article if you want to feel all warm and fuzzy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:39 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
Read the comments of that article if you want to feel all warm and fuzzy.
I always feel warm and fuzzy after reading comments on KSL and the Trib.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future. Yes many years down the road, when the TOD's along the Wasatch Front are developed that there is a fourth line added. Particulary if say a baseball stadium is built in the Grainary district.

Imagine this:
Blue Line: Draper to Central Station, via Main St
Red Line: DayBreak to University
Green Line: WVC to Central Station, via 700 S west to service the stadium.
White Line: Airport to University. (yes I picked white for that exact reason)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Imagine if we put $1 billion of that money toward transit. Heck, imagine if we put $500 million toward transit! I'm sensing that we're not using a balanced approach in road/transit expansion, to be honest.
Well, considering that the just on-going construction of rail transit totals one and a half billion and that we have invested about 3 and a half billion over 15 years, that`s an average of about $250 million/year over that time period. That represents about 6% of the amount invested in roads. I agree that rail and other mass transit should represent more of the transportation budget. However, you do have to realize that substantially more people use roads than tail transit in Utah. Even road infrastructure supports many mass transit options such as buses, suttles, taxis, car-pool, school bus, etc. Rail isn`t the only good form of mass transit.

I think a reasonable figure (for now) would be 10-15% ($400-600 million/yr) of transportation spending be spent on rail transit, the remaining 85-90% on roads. As trends continue and it becomes more economically feasable to divert larger amounts of funding from roads to rails, great! We are deffinately going in the right direction - even if we have a long ways to go still. I am optomistic that current trends will continue and that more money will be allocated to mass transit development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
If anyone cares to fact check me, this is my inventory thus far concerning the level of transit investments in the Wasatch Front Metro.

It looks like UTA's LRT, CR, BRT, and Streetcar projects put the Wasatch Front Metropolitan Area (2.2 million people) at about $3.5 billion in transit investments since 1997...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:40 PM

Some woefully confused people think that the TRAX line is completely bypassing downtown when going between the airport and West Valley (um, hello? did you not notice that huge construction project that runs between downtown and the airport on North Temple?). Others are infuriated that—heaven forbid—people are going to have to make one transfer and that the old University-Salt Lake line won't be resurrected just yet. Someone even claimed that a transfer will add 40 minutes to their round trip commute.

Is it just me, or are too many people in our world just plain stupid?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:15 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Is it just me, or are too many people in our world just plain stupid?
You have to look at it this way. How stupid is the average person? No just imagine, half the population is more stupid than that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:46 PM

UDOT to buy 100 homes to make way for Mountain View corridor
The Salt Lake Tribune

A segment of the Salt Lake County portion of SR-85 is slated to open June 2 (from 14000 South to 12600 South). Another segment (from 16000 South to 14000 South, and again from 12600 South to 5400 South) is still to open at the end of 2012.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
UDOT to buy 100 homes to make way for Mountain View corridor
The Salt Lake Tribune

A segment of the Salt Lake County portion of SR-85 is slated to open June 2 (from 14000 South to 12600 South). Another segment (from 16000 South to 14000 South, and again from 12600 South to 5400 South) is still to open at the end of 2012.
I really need to get out there and check out the construction.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:40 AM
Exit 298

It's pretty interesting. A lot of houses along Masters Drive are vanishing. But Bills Drive looks like a post-warzone. Compare the Google Streetview before going. It's bizarre. I drove through a complete neighborhood with homes and trees. Came back a few weeks ago and it was all gone!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:34 AM

They're also working on 5400 South through Kearns, making a faster connection between Bangerter Highway and Mountain View--removed a couple of dozen homes and several businesses between Bangerter and 4800 West.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 9:08 PM

Construction has begun on the Sugar House Streetcar Line. They began grubbing and clearing the area earlier this week.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:19 PM

Awesome! I'm so pumped about the Sugarhouse line!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:11 AM

Driving home Beck Street i saw a bunch of what looked like new train cars completely wrapped in red and blue wrapping. Is it possible these are new trains for the Airport line or FR South? If these lines are set to open in December they will start test runs a few months before that. I wasn't able to stop and get a pic, I didn't notice them until i was passing and you can't really turn around on Beck Street.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:40 AM

I've never seen any red wrapped trains, but they do have some of the old San Jose clunkers wrapped in blue near the Warm Springs facility. It may just be some of those old trains wrapped and being stored.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:54 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

The ones with a bulge on the top are the old San Jose light rail cars. The majority of them are the New Jersey cars UTA purchased for FrontRunner, back in 2008 when gas spiked (about where it is now) and they needed more capacity.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:36 PM

That must be it, i thought there were some red ones but like i said i noticed them as i was driving by and probably remembered wrong. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:38 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

New airport TRAX line is in final push toward completion
Transit » Construction on the new line is years ahead of schedule.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...ation.html.csp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West