HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I think vallas winds up as biggest challenger, except I have heard the CTU still doesn't like him

rahm could survive because he has the most of the least as no one has a solid coalition

preckwinkle might have beaten him pre-soda tax but she's nowhere now
Rahm will win because his competition is all corrupt, inept, a nobody, or some combination of the above. If anything Willie Wilson will take just enough of the African American vote from him to force a runoff again (which is really what happened last time) and he will have to go to round two with someone. But Willie Wilson is exactly what I'm talking about, I mean the man literally hands out cash to voters...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Rahm will win because his competition is all corrupt, inept, a nobody, or some combination of the above. If anything Willie Wilson will take just enough of the African American vote from him to force a runoff again (which is really what happened last time) and he will have to go to round two with someone. But Willie Wilson is exactly what I'm talking about, I mean the man literally hands out cash to voters...
Willie Wilson, now that right there is a self-made millionaire. I think he'd be a horrible mayor, but still--seems like a decent guy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:48 PM
The City

HOLY SHIT

Rahm's not seeking a third term!

Discuss in the politics thread?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:50 PM
The City

Just in:

Rahm not seeking a third term

WOW

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:56 PM

......wasn't expecting that. Time to start reading lot more on the other candidates I guess.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

holy crap.

i did not see that coming.

pat quinn must be feeling more useless than ever.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:02 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Willie Wilson, now that right there is a self-made millionaire. I think he'd be a horrible mayor, but still--seems like a decent guy
Willie Wilson will not win!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:12 PM

I wonder if Durbin is going to retire early or not run in 2020.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:14 PM

The protests worked? lol

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:21 PM

Does anyone here think someone has dirt on him?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
The protests worked? lol
To unseat the mayor?

Yeah, since they don't have a clue how to fix the violence being committed by their neighbors on eachother, which is the real problem, might as well tell the Mayor to resign because...uhhhhhh........hmmm.......let's see here.......because--oh whatever, just blame him!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just in:

Rahm not seeking a third term

WOW
Not good a all for the city. Certainly no HQ2 now for sure...Couldn't have done it at a worse time.

This is a disaster.

Ok now who is the best candidate for the city right now?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Yeah, since they don't have a clue how to fix the violence being committed by their neighbors on eachother
What does this even mean? So sick of this argument that somehow the people who are actually standing up, need to stand up. It's easy to take that stance from Libertyville, for those of us who live in the city, these are all our neighbors.

Why elect politicians in the first place if they aren't accountable?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:35 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I wonder if some "secret" candidate is planning on throwing their hat in the ring and Rahm is getting out of the way (one of the Obama's?).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
What does this even mean? So sick of this argument that somehow the people who are actually standing up, need to stand up. It's easy to take that stance from Libertyville, for those of us who live in the city, these are all our neighbors.

Why elect politicians in the first place if they aren't accountable?
What does this mean? It’s kind of obvious. It means that people are responsible for their behavior. The Mayor is not at fault because a bunch of teen gangsters are shooting each other. And I’m tired of certain segments of the population always demanding that politicians be the ones to blame for this. It distracts these elected leaders from being able to do good work that actually might benefit everyone, from all sides of town, and all walks of life, who actually want to follow a path of self-betterment without being caught up in illegal activity. It distracts elected leaders from improving things that they actually have the power to change. I’m under no delusion that if my son goes out and starts doing drugs with other kids at school, that this is the school’s fault, or the Mayor of my city’s fault. I am tired of people wasting their energy blaming the wrong people for their problems, and probably making them not want to do their jobs any more (ie case in point—Rahm).

And enough with the false label of “racism” or “xenophobia” from people who will not allow a single person to make the point I made in the paragraph above—it’s what A LOT of people are thinking but are too scared to say because the point gets squashed among unfair labels like ones i above.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:38 PM

*sigh* I prefer a progressive mayor who also stands up to anti development activists. Someone who strikes the right balance between the corporate/business/commercial sector and local residents. I doubt anyone among the current crop will fulfill this role. Instead we’ll likely end up with the opposite. No way will Amazon want to risk coming to Chicago now. Granted having a pro development mayor forever wasn’t something they could rely on, but having so much uncertainty at the start isn’t good at all.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Worse thing to happen to Chicago since the great fire. Mabey Amazon gave him an early, heads up, no because of the shootings in the hoods foisted to the top in the news that it was a no go, as in no go zones.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg-...ng-re-election

Greg Hinz On Politics

September 04, 2018 10:51 AM |UPDATED A minute ago

Emanuel not running for re-election

In a stunning move that throws the city's future very much up for grabs, the mayor announced today he will not seek a third term.

In a major surprise that throws the city's future very much up for grabs, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced today he will not seek a third term by running for re-election in the February city election.

Emanuel gave no reason for his decision, which came despite strong signals from staffers and aides in recent weeks that he would indeed run but that he was delaying the decision until an opportune moment.

But his decision comes just before the beginning of the trial of Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke for killing Laquan McDonald, an extraordinarily divisive case whose outcome could spark great unrest.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/joe-c...-it-just-might

Amazon HQ2 is Chicago's to lose—and it just might

Chicago should land Amazon's HQ2 if it picks the place with the biggest, cheapest reserves of its most-needed resource—tech talent. But the city has plenty of downsides to give Amazon pause.

Chicago should win the multicity contest for Amazon's second headquarters. That doesn't mean it will.

After reading my colleague John Pletz's excellent analysis in the Aug. 20 issue of Crain's, I'm convinced Chicago has the strongest business case for the e-commerce giant's second headquarters. In short, Chicago's advantage boils down to this: We have more of what Amazon needs most, and at lower prices, than the other 20 locations on Amazon's short list.

The resource Amazon needs most is talent, and lots of it. Torrents of fresh talent power its rapid expansion into seemingly every corner of the economy. As Amazon grows, its hometown of Seattle can no longer meet its ravenous appetite for talent. That's a big reason for setting up a second operating base. Amazon is looking for a place where it can find enough workers with the right skills to fill as many as 50,000 jobs—without breaking the bank.

It's a basic business …

So Chicago should win if Amazon follows customary business practice and picks the place with bigger, cheaper reserves of its most needed resource, right? If only it were that simple.

Amazon surely will consider many factors in choosing its HQ2. And while it likely will place a high priority on access to sufficient quantities of talent at sufficiently low prices, Chicago has plenty of downsides to give Amazon pause. Massive public pension funding shortfalls remain unresolved, which could lead to massive future tax increases. Political gridlock in Springfield could leave Illinois unable to perform basic government functions.

But if I had to pick the shortcoming most likely to sink Chicago's chances with Amazon, it would be crime. In two bloody weekends this month, 19 people were killed and 113 wounded in the city. The carnage got national attention, reinforcing Chicago's reputation as a dangerous, crime-ridden place.

True, most of the shootings happened in a few neighborhoods on the South and West sides, far from the sites the Emanuel administration pitched to Amazon. And city officials are right when they say overall crime rates are declining in Chicago, or note that other cities have higher murder rates.

But there's no denying that Chicago has a serious crime problem. A recent spate of widely reported carjackings and muggings in the Loop and other areas long considered safe stoked public anxiety over street crime.

No company wants to expose its workers to unacceptable safety risks. So far, crime fears haven't deterred tech firms such as Google, Facebook and Salesforce from bringing thousands of jobs to Chicago. Let's hope Amazon isn't the first to decide Chicago's risks outweigh its advantages.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:50 PM
The City

^

Give me a break, Bnk.

Your single minded obsession with HQ2 is bordering on spooky. Not getting HQ2 is like the 'Great fire?'

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Not good a all for the city. Certainly no HQ2 now for sure...Couldn't have done it at a worse time.

This is a disaster.

Ok now who is the best candidate for the city right now?
lol^

this is great news for the city's much crapped on working class

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^

Give me a break, Bnk.

Your single minded obsession with HQ2 is bordering on spooky. Not getting HQ2 is like the 'Great fire?'
Its much Worse

Last edited by bnk; Sep 4, 2018 at 5:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest