HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
World Machine

No sense in dwelling on what has been when so much is a head. Real visible progress has been made over the last couple of weeks after the many years of vital development that has occurred below ground. The best thing we can do is just sit back and enjoy the construction of New York’s new tallest while Larry get’s things back on track with Tower 2 and 3.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
The best thing we can do is just sit back and enjoy the construction of New York’s new tallest while Larry get’s things back on track with Tower 2 and 3.
It'll be the new nation's tallest, and with the other towers rising nearby (Beekman, Tower 4), that should be enough to sustain the Downtown scene while the rest of the site construction comes together. There are many cities that would be happy to see even one tower of those sizes rising, so we are lucky to get what we have so far. We are also nearing the proposed start (early next year) of 2 supertalls in Midtown. I haven't really been feeling the effects of the slowdown. Seems there's still a lot to keep track of.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:14 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

The site has been active 24/7 since September 12, 2001, and is one of the most complex and sophisticated projects in history. I would say what's been accomplished has been done in a timely manner.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:29 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

^ I sure as hell don't. The Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville, PA is a total joke too. I was just there a few weeks ago. They have not even started on the Permanent 1st phase of the project and the remaining phases may not get done until 2030. You call that progress? This country is total bureaucratic gridlock as far as I am concerned.

Do you know how fast they built the Empire State Building?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Damn fast, for sure. But completely unrelated to what is happening here at this site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:08 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
^ I sure as hell don't. The Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville, PA is a total joke too. I was just there a few weeks ago. They have not even started on the Permanent 1st phase of the project and the remaining phases may not get done until 2030.
2030?

By then, American kids will be care about 9/11 about as much as they do about Pearl Harbor. Ancient history, and they won't be quite sure what the exact date was.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
they won't be quite sure what the exact date was.
I'm sure no one will forget what date 9/11 falls on...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:31 PM

Quote:
True, but its safety/structural standard and oversight are nowhere near 1WTC's.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I know exactly what you are saying, but it just goes to show if people and government are determined enough and forge ahead with as much might as possible, things will get done much faster and better.
I know the recession doesn't help, but a lot of this crap was going on well before the recession anyway. The PA needs to be put in its place. This is sacred ground and a national/disaster/historic site. Somebody needs to tell the PA to bug off or use imminent domain and take the land from them. These are not just regular buildings, this is history (the worst attack ever in American history and the worst terrorist attack in world history). This shit is no joke.

The sad thing is that people are forgetting 9/11 quickly. All of these young kids obviously have no idea about it, and people who don't live or have ever been to NYC, for the most part are forgetting. I sure notice it here in this area. Nobody ever talks about it. Ashame I know I will never forget. My brother and I came after the attacks and filmed the destruction too. Disgusting.

People are getting so complacent now and that is not a good thing at all. Most Americans forget things quickly in a society like ours. It's imparative that we keep our guard up. Attacks are always being planned. Getting into a war in Iraq (a country that had nothing to do with terrorists or any 9/11 highjackers) only inflames the Middle East. So many Iraqi civilians killed too. Minimum of 100,000 is sickening. Afghanistan cannot be won either. We need to stop that war, bring the combat troops home, keep the special forces there, and have surgical missle/bomb stikes, IMO.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
World Machine

There’s no point in going on about what could’ve been and what should be. It doesn’t matter, it’s simply not relevant. There are obviously many unnecessary obstacles and complications that are involved in this development, and yes, it’s very frustrating. However, what can you do? Continuously reciting what we already know and think isn’t helping matters but dampening the positive mood that we should all be thinking.

At the end of the day they’re just buildings, and there are bigger problems out there than this. So wait and see what happens and think positive. That’s all any of us can do. I’m very confident about what Larry is capable of pulling off and when all said and done I’m sure we’ll be pleased with the final product.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 4:46 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
I know exactly what you are saying, but it just goes to show if people and government are determined enough and forge ahead with as much might as possible, things will get done much faster and better.
I know the recession doesn't help, but a lot of this crap was going on well before the recession anyway. The PA needs to be put in its place. This is sacred ground and a national/disaster/historic site. Somebody needs to tell the PA to bug off or use imminent domain and take the land from them. These are not just regular buildings, this is history (the worst attack ever in American history and the worst terrorist attack in world history). This shit is no joke.

The sad thing is that people are forgetting 9/11 quickly. All of these young kids obviously have no idea about it, and people who don't live or have ever been to NYC, for the most part are forgetting. I sure notice it here in this area. Nobody ever talks about it. Ashame I know I will never forget. My brother and I came after the attacks and filmed the destruction too. Disgusting.

People are getting so complacent now and that is not a good thing at all. Most Americans forget things quickly in a society like ours. It's imparative that we keep our guard up. Attacks are always being planned. Getting into a war in Iraq (a country that had nothing to do with terrorists or any 9/11 highjackers) only inflames the Middle East. So many Iraqi civilians killed too. Minimum of 100,000 is sickening. Afghanistan cannot be won either. We need to stop that war, bring the combat troops home, keep the special forces there, and have surgical missle/bomb stikes, IMO.
Well I'm sure Larry, the PA and the American Public would love if you donated your vast fortune to construction of the site...

Honestly the government should be paying for the school, public safety and transit fixes this city deserves and not a private office complex in recession. I don't care about the symbolism. If we can't support the basic functions of this city then what do we even have to be proud of and stand behind?

Meanwhile, anyone with a basic grasp of architecture and engineering understands that the work that has been undertaken at the site is complex beyond even the most professional builders' wildest dreams. The WTC is moving forward, if not at ESB pace. Not to mention that ESB builders were non unionized, faced incredibly dangerous working conditions, absurd hours, low pay, and a much much much more basic design to build. Yeah one floor a week would be reasonable for a Wal Mart in New Jersey but not for the beloved, hyper symbolic 1 WTC.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
the government should be paying for the school, public safety and transit fixes this city deserves and not a private office complex in recession.
Except this really isn't a private office complex (Silverstein rents from the PA). Ironically, had the government gotten out of the way in time, the private developer (Silverstein) likely could have been well on his way to getting these towers built.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 11:48 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm sure no one will forget what date 9/11 falls on...
With today's math skills? Don't be quite so sure...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:32 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
With today's math skills? Don't be quite so sure...
Literally everyone is forgetting. I didn't hear one person all day at work and other places talk about 9/11 at all that day. None of the regular TV networks covered it, only the cable 24 Hr networks CNN, Fox and MSNBC. Even Cnn cut away many times to talk about some bullshit news. I guess 9/11 is too old of a story for these stations to make money off of now. We are complacent now in this fast paced country and something bad will happen again. When, it's hard to know, but it's really sad and also makes me angry at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 3:41 AM

Very impressive tower!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Literally everyone is forgetting. I didn't hear one person all day at work and other places talk about 9/11 at all that day. None of the regular TV networks covered it, only the cable 24 Hr networks CNN, Fox and MSNBC. Even Cnn cut away many times to talk about some bullshit news. I guess 9/11 is too old of a story for these stations to make money off of now. We are complacent now in this fast paced country and something bad will happen again. When, it's hard to know, but it's really sad and also makes me angry at the same time.
I guarantee you most people think about 9/11 all the time. But you can't expect people to dwell on it. It was horrible, and no one will ever "forget" it, but life goes on, people stay positive and productive and move forward, that's the American way. Do those attacks even need to be mentioned on 9/11? Everyone knows what day it is, and what happened, it doesn't need to be brought up, because it's already on everyone's mind.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:44 PM
DENNAB

Since 2 and 3 WTC haven't started construction yet, what are the chances of the designs changing? Just curious

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 11:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Since 2 and 3 WTC haven't started construction yet, what are the chances of the designs changing? Just curious
A change in tower 3 is somewhat possible (Silvertein already had a larger, alternative design readied) but SIlverstein is ready to move forward with tower 2 as soon as possible.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 10:05 PM

anyone know when towers 2 and 3 will be finished?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 4:32 AM

no one knows right now. It just depends on if they are going to build the building now (2015-16), or later, (2037)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive