HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:29 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
^ Send the Kings to Seattle -- without the Maloofs, if possible.
Fuck that. If they're going to cry for years about having their team stolen, only to end up taking another's, they deserve the Maloofs.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
The two biggest markets without an NBA team are clearly Seattle and San Diego. You have one who lost its team 3 years ago and one who did so 29 years ago. Seattle has a much larger corporate base than SD. San Diego has shown very little drive to build a state of the art arena as our current arena is an utter embarrassment and by far the worst of any metro area over 1.5 million.

Both metros now only have MLB, NFL. So which one "deserves" to have an NBA team more, hard to really say. I guess because San Diego has LA to the North and Mexico to the South our TV market is smaller and like I said earlier our only true Fortune 500 with a massive presence is Qualcomm compared to Seattle with Amazon, Microsoft, and Boeing.

The only other option is Kansas City which is smaller than SD/SEA but has a gorgeous new arena sitting downtown waiting for a major tenant.
Is St. Louis or Cincy NOT an option? St. Louis seems like an ideal basketball market.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well, at the risk of sounding like that New York philanthropist who famously said that she couldn't understand how Nixon won because none of her friends had voted for him... I don't think I know anybody that watches NBA basketball. Everyone will make a point of going to a bar to watch college football, NFL football or college basketball during March Madness, but basketball is even less popular than baseball as a TV sport. At least baseball is a big draw during the playoffs.

Bars in the West Village are also crowded for college football, NFL football, and the college basketball and baseball playoffs, but never for NBA games even during the playoffs.
I do. Almost everybody I know watches it (T-Wolves, not the Cavs). I'm actually the oddity in that I'm getting sick of the NBA and its bratty players, crazy contracts, dynaty teams, and TOO MANY FOULS AND FLOPS!!! College ball is a better production IMO, but white peoples like me can and DO watch basketball.

Why is it so PC to be overtly racist towards Whites as a racial group (not necessarily individually)? I don't get this double standard...(I'm not necessarily talking about your post or even this thread -- just in general).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:52 PM

[QUOTE=M II A II R II K;5830483]City Council reaches revised arena deal

QUOTE]

Do many Seattle locals actually PLAY hockey? Does the public care? I'm one of those people who believe that to be a sports "fan" you have to have actually played the sport yourself at one point. I KNOW that doesn't apply to everyone, but rather, a generalized observation (maybe 70/30 or 80/20).

For instance, at some point in my childhood I have played baseball, football, basketball, and even a tiny bit of soccer (not to mention various other semi-sports, like badmitton, volleyball, bowling, etc.). All of my friends played hockey competitively and I was one of the only ones who never played competitively, but yet played through pick-up games with my buddies. However, I don't follow hockey very much and never really have, even when my team was decent (Wild mainly.....the North Stars went to the Stanley Cup when we moved back to MN).

Maybe it's just me...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye native 001 View Post
in a city that has some of the best weather in the country year-round, why would anyone want a stadium with a retractable roof?
x 1000!!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:56 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-chi-cbus View Post
Is St. Louis or Cincy NOT an option? St. Louis seems like an ideal basketball market.
Cincinnati had the Royals (now the Sacramento Kings) until the early 1970s, but that city's too much of a college basketball town. Aside from hometown teams UC and Xavier, UK, OSU, Louisville, Dayton and Indiana are all within a couple hours drive and for whatever reason seem to have decent followings in the Cincinnati area.

Besides, they can't even pull in more than 20,000 on a weeknight for a winning baseball team.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 9:50 PM
Never Dell

[QUOTE=min-chi-cbus;5832803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
City Council reaches revised arena deal

QUOTE]

Do many Seattle locals actually PLAY hockey? Does the public care? I'm one of those people who believe that to be a sports "fan" you have to have actually played the sport yourself at one point. I KNOW that doesn't apply to everyone, but rather, a generalized observation (maybe 70/30 or 80/20).

For instance, at some point in my childhood I have played baseball, football, basketball, and even a tiny bit of soccer (not to mention various other semi-sports, like badmitton, volleyball, bowling, etc.). All of my friends played hockey competitively and I was one of the only ones who never played competitively, but yet played through pick-up games with my buddies. However, I don't follow hockey very much and never really have, even when my team was decent (Wild mainly.....the North Stars went to the Stanley Cup when we moved back to MN).

Maybe it's just me...
A lot of newcomers play hockey. But I don't think we have an ice rink within city limits except Key Arena. Kids don't play it.

Others argue but I think they all came from hockey areas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions