HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:07 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Not related to the Pats outdoor game, but the stadium in general....

Since a few vendors obviously left and rumour is some made it through the football season, but are not returning in 2018, will REAL look for new options to move into the concessions or will they simply flip more of them to REAL's food services union?
Which left/are rumoured not to be returning?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Which left/are rumoured not to be returning?
I was at the last regular season game and Chachalacas wasn't even serving food, only drinks...so I'd guess they would be one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:59 PM

Sweet Ambrsia is not returning as well,from what i know Western Pizza is taking over the spots. Was told that they will offer different menu items other then just pizza and fries. So there will really not be to much to chose from in there.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:58 AM

Does REAL even have a Food and Beverage Director anymore?

Have they announced yet who is replacing Mark Allan as CEO in March?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Since a few vendors obviously left and rumour is some made it through the football season, but are not returning in 2018, will REAL look for new options to move into the concessions or will they simply flip more of them to REAL's food services union?
I'd note that some new vendors opened during the season (Willow on Wascana for sure; pretty sure Lancaster on the main level opened in the 2nd half of the season; was Milu available the first few games?)

Given this, I'd guess that they're looking to continue with local vendors where possible... can't be an inexpensive venture for the vendors, though - setting up for 9-10 games (maybe more with concerts, but likely not worth it for more than a couple to open for Rams games, etc). Plus, they need to adapt their menu to the season (Lancaster did a great job with stew, chili & chowder during the last few games). These businesses have to view being in the stadium as a marketing effort - profitability is far from guaranteed.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I'd note that some new vendors opened during the season (Willow on Wascana for sure; pretty sure Lancaster on the main level opened in the 2nd half of the season; was Milu available the first few games?)

Given this, I'd guess that they're looking to continue with local vendors where possible... can't be an inexpensive venture for the vendors, though - setting up for 9-10 games (maybe more with concerts, but likely not worth it for more than a couple to open for Rams games, etc). Plus, they need to adapt their menu to the season (Lancaster did a great job with stew, chili & chowder during the last few games). These businesses have to view being in the stadium as a marketing effort - profitability is far from guaranteed.
If I was a local vendor I would definitely use this as a marketing opportunity to try to introduce my offerings to new customers. It would be a good opportunity to hand out coupons for their next visit to your full-time restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:

X2

Their chowder was outstanding!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskca View Post
X2

Their chowder was outstanding!
I didn't try it - had the beef stew twice... the chunks of beef were huge & plentiful. And the price was completely reasonable ($12 for a big bowl, and it included a bun). It filled me up.

I'd echo the comment that these vendors should do some cross-marketing with their full-time locations... coupons, or loyalty cards with rewards of some sort when points/stamps are earned at multiple locations. I'm surprised at the missed opportunities.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:35 AM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:13 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Not at all surprised given the prices they were trying to charge... Had they gone with a halfway decent pricepoint, it would've been alright.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Not at all surprised given the prices they were trying to charge... Had they gone with a halfway decent pricepoint, it would've been alright.
Whichever members of the Pats braintrust thought there was a chance in hell that those prices would lead to more than 5,000 tickets being sold should have their head examined. Zero chance. Lunacy.

I was planning to go to the game - saw the prices & didn't consider it again (even after they dropped the top-end prices). Prices in the $50, $90, $125, $175, $200 might have seen a decent crowd (but lost money for QCSE).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Prices in the $50, $90, $125, $175, $200 might have seen a decent crowd (but lost money for QCSE).
How would it lose money? If you sold 20,000 seats at an average cost of $50, that's a million dollars. Sure an outdoor game would be pricy to put on, but you can't tell me that it would cost a million bucks. Sponsorships would also take a big bite out of the overhead costs too.

For whatever reason hockey teams see outdoor games as a license to rip fans off. Either the novelty is wearing off or fans are just getting smarter and realizing that spending hundreds of dollars to sit out in the cold, in a seat with a worse view than any one you could find in the Brandt Centre to watch a frigging regular season junior game is, shall we say, a questionable proposition.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How would it lose money? If you sold 20,000 seats at an average cost of $50, that's a million dollars. Sure an outdoor game would be pricy to put on, but you can't tell me that it would cost a million bucks. Sponsorships would also take a big bite out of the overhead costs too.
The rink alone would cost at least a million dollars - likely more.

Sponsors might take a bit of the bite out of an event - but I'm not certain there's much more room for sponsorship, given the economic climate, and the fact that many of the Pats regular sponsors (e.g.: Great Western Brewery; Coca-Cola) are shut-out of Mosaic Stadium... so what interest would they have in sponsoring the game? And other sponsors would really have to be certain of a return on investment to toss much (or more, in the case of existing sponsors) money at a single game.

I really can't imagine a scenario where the game would have turned a profit. QCSE needed to view the game as a marketing/branding investment - nothing more: pack the stadium at a reasonable price, get big media attention, build the brand. Offer pricing that gets every existing Pats/Warriors season ticket holder into a seat, preferably with a friend or two; extend pricing to Rider season ticket holders & Hockey Regina members.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:29 PM

^ I find it hard to believe you couldn't turn a profit on an outdoor game with somewhat reasonable ticket prices. Let's say the average price per seat is $100, which allows for a range of ticket prices from say, $50 to $175, which most would consider pricy but not altogether absurd. 20,000 seats yields $2,000,000. I cannot imagine you couldn't make money on a junior game, even if it is outdoors, with 2 million in revenue!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
^ I find it hard to believe you couldn't turn a profit on an outdoor game with somewhat reasonable ticket prices. Let's say the average price per seat is $100, which allows for a range of ticket prices from say, $50 to $175, which most would consider pricy but not altogether absurd. 20,000 seats yields $2,000,000. I cannot imagine you couldn't make money on a junior game, even if it is outdoors, with 2 million in revenue!
Probably could. But if QCSE's mindset was turning a profit, it changes everything... they needed to figure out what the primary goal was.

Profits in these outdoors games - even at the NHL level - are far from guaranteed due to the huge up-front costs (another cost is starting up the stadium... as a taxpayer, I want to ensure the cost of de-winterizing, and re-winterizing the stadium are entirely the Pats' responsibility). The Flames hosted the Winter Classic in front of 40,000 people at McMahon (tickets between $110-250 in 2011). That was easily $5million in revenue - and they were still worried about breaking even. And that's the NHL - the Pats overplayed their hand... expecting to sell tickets to a junior game (and an NHL old-timers/all-star game) at prices similar to an NHL game?

Price point was everything in this failure. The Pats might point to concerns about weather, rink conditions, etc... but the fact is tickets were too expensive, and there wasn't any interest was what sank the event. As I initially said, the braintrust that pitched this strategy was delusional.

Update: the Pats *may* try it again, but with an NHL game. Story implies the ticket price was essentially break-even (""The price point was bang on from the perspective of: The cost to put on the event is the cost,” said Marquart").

Last edited by Drofmab; Jan 5, 2018 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Quote:

For whatever reason hockey teams see outdoor games as a license to rip fans off. Either the novelty is wearing off or fans are just getting smarter and realizing that spending hundreds of dollars to sit out in the cold, in a seat with a worse view than any one you could find in the Brandt Centre to watch a frigging regular season junior game is, shall we say, a questionable proposition.
I think It is more than just the prices that kept sales low. I think demand for junior hockey is limited for starters. But weather is huge as well having an outdoor game in February is crazy can you imagine sitting outside in weather similar to what we had at Xmas? Maybe it wouldn’t be that could but it could be and that would scare off a lot of regular fans let alone those less dedicated. Add in the fact the Pats have not been very good and voila shitty ticket sales. Price certainly played a part but the timing and concept had a very low chance of success even if prices were reasonable.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Seems you're seriously overestimating the drawing power of a regular season junior hockey game, just like the promoters of this event did.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:11 AM

^ Maybe so. I figured 20,000 was a realistic number assuming that prices are realistic, given that Regina is generally a pretty good event town.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Maybe so. I figured 20,000 was a realistic number assuming that prices are realistic, given that Regina is generally a pretty good event town.
That’s true but imo the deciding factors were the fact this is merely junior hockey & that in February there is a very good chance the weather will be colder than Mars.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 2:36 PM

^ Weren't sales at around 10,000 despite the exorbitant prices? That's a sign that there was some degree of interest, but that tickets were overpriced. It was the same thing with the Heritage Classic in Winnipeg, tickets were available right up until the game and I'd wager that corporate sponsors helped snap up the last few. There was no lack of interest in the game itself, but not surprisingly people didn't necessarily want to pony up hundreds of dollars to watch a game in potentially miserable conditions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan