HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
The two tier design has definitely been around a while (it was on display at Open House, and I believe there was even a PD amendment to include the revised design).

Don't know of any amendment. You wouldn't know where to find that would you?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:38 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I don’t think the lost set back makes much of a difference.
Just takes it one iteration closer to looking like 150 N Riverside.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:43 PM

Page 21 of the PDF download has the roof at 762'2" and the top of the screen at 776'3".

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Don't know of any amendment. You wouldn't know where to find that would you?
Off the top of my head, I do not; the city may also have not yet posted it publicly, but I will look. The revision to the package was made in late October.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Ugh, this city demolishes complete masterpieces without a second thought but now someone decided that the GGC building is worth consideration for protection? Where were these vocal idiots when the Chicago Stock Exchange got demo'd? Frustrating.

As for the new rendering, I agree with everyone that it looks worse than the previous version. Hopefully its design still a work in progress?
Agreed. There is 0 about that building worth preserving.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:45 AM
BANNED

It still looks great, It's like Chicago's version of 50 Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
Just takes it one iteration closer to looking like 150 N Riverside.
I don’t know if you mean that as a bad thing or not 150 N is a great looking tower

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:49 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I don’t know if you mean that as a bad thing or not 150 N is a great looking tower
They look great, but no tower exists in a vacuum. Just a general sentiment that designs that are subconsciously derivative (and face each other) probably aren't optimal. There are a heck of a lot of boxy glassy 500-800 footers around there, and while the bases of both are respective trademarks, it's not like further differentiation does harm.

Minor issue. Just like the old design 10% more.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:40 AM
BANNED

I like it better with less setbacks. The articulated facade is stunning, and there's more focus on that element with fewer setbacks. I can't wait to see this rise.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:41 AM

I actually prefer the two tiered design as well. The massing of the thing is less... 'gentle.' I really hope this gets built. It would create an incredible canyon on the river. The density placement is very high.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
They look great, but no tower exists in a vacuum. Just a general sentiment that designs that are subconsciously derivative (and face each other) probably aren't optimal. There are a heck of a lot of boxy glassy 500-800 footers around there, and while the bases of both are respective trademarks, it's not like further differentiation does harm.

Minor issue. Just like the old design 10% more.
They aren't "subconsciously derivative", they are derivative and that's how architectural bodies of work are. You don't see anyone complaining that all the Frank Lloyd Wrights in Oak Park are "derivative" of each other do you? No one is complaining that all the old Chicago School skyscrapers downtown Chicago are derivative are they? Good design is good design even if it explores some of the same ideas as previous designs.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:19 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They aren't "subconsciously derivative", they are derivative and that's how architectural bodies of work are. You don't see anyone complaining that all the Frank Lloyd Wrights in Oak Park are "derivative" of each other do you? No one is complaining that all the old Chicago School skyscrapers downtown Chicago are derivative are they? Good design is good design even if it explores some of the same ideas as previous designs.
You're taking my point too seriously. Subconsciously derivative: "Hmmm, X reminds me of Y!" vs "X is X. Y is Y." Not a cardinal sin by any metric, it just tilts thoughts in the direction of the former now. In fact, I'm sure many people really like a cross-referential dynamic to their city's architecture (cough* Sears-Hancock). And there still is. I'd just rather have the two buildings have distinct identities. Not that they still don't.

Obviously all skyscrapers share similar characteristics, especially in a city where Mies van der Rohe left such a mark. To complain about 110 N Wacker when we could have literal boxes is silly, and I'm not trying to do that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I am not sure what exactly drove it (maybe the upper floor tenant -- BofA? -- needed larger floor plates or it was driven by a revision of the cores), but either way, my understanding is that the redesign is official and that the building's CDs are largely done.
BoA is taking the lower portion of the tower, IIRC.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Poo poo. Can't they at least break 800 ft. that whole area is becoming a giant soulless blue wall.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:36 PM

except for that big green wall right next to it.......

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:25 PM

If size is so important then maybe you start at home!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Poo poo. Can't they at least break 800 ft. that whole area is becoming a giant soulless blue wall.
If size is so important then maybe you should start at home!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 7:01 PM
BANNED

No no no you've got it all wrong. I'm a SIZE QUEEN.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:30 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Ugh, this city demolishes complete masterpieces without a second thought but now someone decided that the GGC building is worth consideration for protection? Where were these vocal idiots when the Chicago Stock Exchange got demo'd? Frustrating.

As for the new rendering, I agree with everyone that it looks worse than the previous version. Hopefully its design still a work in progress?
Howard Hughes needs a special Army Corps permit to discharge stormwater into the river. Ergo, they have to go through Section 106.

That's the way NHPA works, the Section 106 review is only triggered when a Federal agency gets involved. The other "demolished masterpieces" weren't waiting on a Federal action.

In theory, Hughes could demolish the building tomorrow if they didn't have a redevelopment plan in place. Then they wouldn't need a Federal permit, it would just be a routine demolition.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:13 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Where were these vocal idiots when the Chicago Stock Exchange got demo'd?
Seriously? They were out in front.

Demo of the Stock Exchange, Garrick Theater (protest pictured above), and Penn Station in New York were what gave us the concept of historic preservation to begin with, and federal review for potentially historic resources.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive