HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:31 AM

There definitely aren't any in the true downtown core in Toronto. The closest to King and Bay are probably these ones just south of St. Lawrence Market.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:18 PM

Only one that I can think of, tucked in behind the Royal Bank's parkade.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Only one that I can think of, tucked in behind the Royal Bank's parkade.
Damn, never noticed that!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.69363...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:35 PM

Defining Fredericton's Core as being King Street, Queen Street, Regent Street and Smythe Street, I count maybe 4 SFH's, and one or two of them might be duplexes. They are all located out near Smythe street at the edge of the core.

There's a lot of apartments and townhouses in that range, and some older homes that now have first floor businesses, or are office spaces or are 2-3-4-unit apartments now. But not many SFHs left in those blocks.

If you expand down to the Walking bridge, you'll get a few more houses in behind the legislature, but once again many of them are older homes that have been divided into apartments or office space.

If you expand the core to include Brunswick street, you'll get a few more, but once more with the caveat that many are older houses divided into apartments and/or offices and/or commercial businesses.

So at the greatest extents, Fredericton probably has maybe at most a dozen SFHs left in its core, mainly at the east and western edges; everything else is divided up/multiuse now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:54 AM

The boundaries of Uptown Saint John aren't that well-defined, but apart from around the edges, I would say there's no SFH at all in the core.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:51 AM

In Quebec City ironically in the true core you still have a bunch of SFHs (example: this) while there are slightly less central inner city neighborhoods that are all mixed commercial and multifamily.

(Actually, the only reason there are still SFHs in the core is heritage preservation; all major Canadian cities without exception had SFHs in their cores at some point in their history. Looks like Vancouver is in the exact same situation.)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Quebec City ones are mostly or entirely attached and of masonry construction though. Vancouver is much weirder in that it has neighbourhoods that are a mix of 40-storey condos with the odd detached house that would have been identical to something built in a small town. Vancouver went from being a small town to a major city in about 30 years.

Halifax used to have a lot more houses in the core (generally rowhouses) but they are rapidly disappearing, often for bad reasons. Typically if they're not immediately redeveloped they are torn down just for parking or to lower assessments during land assembly in preparation for a development that might not happen for 5 years or more. This is another negative consequence of having property taxes instead of land taxes; there is an incentive for owners to destroy buildings.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:03 AM

Surprisingly Saskatoon doesn't really seem to have any single family homes any more in the downtown. Possibly one or too in the 300 block of 6th Avenue. 324 6th Avenue is listed for sale on Google Maps.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Surprisingly Saskatoon doesn't really seem to have any single family homes any more in the downtown. Possibly one or too in the 300 block of 6th Avenue. 324 6th Avenue is listed for sale on Google Maps.
There are a couple left on the 200 block of 5th Ave N, 300 block of 6th Ave N as you mentioned, and the 900 block of Spadina Cres E.

Not sure how many of these are still used for residential. Most are occupied by commercial uses - a daycare, law office, doctor's office, etc.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
All on the south fringe, outside of downtown-downtown, in neighbourhoods that have always been residential but went highrise.
I went for a walk yesterday.

There are 10 houses on the south edge of downtown, at the top of the bank. 2 have demolition permit notices, other include a salon/spa, a lawyers office, an investment office, a tapas place, an engineer and one subdivided into apartments.

Of the remaining 4, one is for sure residential, two appear to be residential, and one appears to be commercial.

There are another 10 or so houses down the hill within the official borders of downtown. Some are subdivided but most are residential.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 8:31 PM

London is awash with beautiful old brick homes on tree lines streets surrounding the immediate downtown.

Vancouver has VERY few downtown houses. Nearly all houses in the downtown/West End have long since been torn down. There are some historic homes at mole Hill but generally SFH are none existent in the core.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 9:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Damn it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfHv-uou3k

I too kind of misunderstood the assignment. I was thinking SFD, not SFH. The vast majority of our core is SFH rowhouses.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:55 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Quebec City ones are mostly or entirely attached and of masonry construction though. Vancouver is much weirder in that it has neighbourhoods that are a mix of 40-storey condos with the odd detached house that would have been identical to something built in a small town. Vancouver went from being a small town to a major city in about 30 years.

Halifax used to have a lot more houses in the core (generally rowhouses) but they are rapidly disappearing, often for bad reasons. Typically if they're not immediately redeveloped they are torn down just for parking or to lower assessments during land assembly in preparation for a development that might not happen for 5 years or more. This is another negative consequence of having property taxes instead of land taxes; there is an incentive for owners to destroy buildings.
The more important difference between Que. Cy and Vancouver is the era in which development took place. It's not weird for Vancouver to have these detached wood frame houses downtown, because that was the type being built in 1900. In Que. Cy, also places like St John's and Halifax, development took place in the 19th century or earlier, and even in the event of a major fire, the land was already subdivided in a way which made modern detached development almost impossible, so the row houses were simply rebuilt.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Damn it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfHv-uou3k

I too kind of misunderstood the assignment. I was thinking SFD, not SFH. The vast majority of our core is SFH rowhouses.
But that's not really the CBD core though, that's really a separate residential area, just adjacent to the core. I think it was redeveloped that way after the fire(s), because of the reasons I stated above. Vancouver's oldest SFH areas are about the same age as that but with a more modern form of development.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada