HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 3:27 PM

^^It's not One Riverside, it won't be that tall and you probably won't be able to see it from this angel. I think it's the Riverwalk development, the tallest tower, at 23rd and Arch.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^It's not One Riverside, it won't be that tall and you probably won't be able to see it from this angel. I think it's the Riverwalk development, the tallest tower, at 23rd and Arch.
It's One Riverside, I made it

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
It's One Riverside, I made it
Gotcha... it's too tall. Great job otherwise though!

One Riverside won't be seen from here. PECO is 385 FT tall, One Riverside will only be 260 FT.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Source is Liberty Property Trust. Don't think there will be another supertall here, could be wrong though. Early site plans call for three towers on this block. Another office tower for Comcast, a second office tower (unknown tenant) and a residential tower.
At this point, I would take the quantity over just one tall tower. Philly needs more towers in the medium-tall range which I'm guessing these would be.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 8:14 PM
More of that.

They can't build too tall on that block due to shadowing the southern sun on Logan Circle.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 10:35 PM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Gotcha... it's too tall. Great job otherwise though!

One Riverside won't be seen from here. PECO is 385 FT tall, One Riverside will only be 260 FT.
Oh, ok, thanks

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:50 PM

Wait, I did read that correctly, Comcast planning on 3 buildings on the 19th and Arch block....??? Wow. I thought maybe one ...some day.

Still years down the road I'm guessing? CITC won't be open for business until early 2018.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; May 9, 2016 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:14 PM

[QUOTE=TallCoolOne;7435480]Wait, I did read that correctly, Comcast planning on 3 buildings on the 19th and Arch block....??? Wow.

I think it was referencing the entire campus, so CC and CITC are the first two buildings.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Wait, I did read that correctly, Comcast planning on 3 buildings on the 19th and Arch block....??? Wow.

Still years down the road I'm guessing? CITC won't be open for business until early 2018.
I read it as Liberty planning on three buildings, one to be occupied by Comcast. I can't imagine it would be too long from now seeing as Comcast will take up all the space in both existing towers and the company continues to grow.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:40 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But something having to do with the train tracks below JFK prevents the building of towers over 500 feet (?) along JFK. For this reason, the original Comcast was set back towards Arch, yes?

If that's true, then I'd have to imagine that if Liberty is building a third Comcast tower on 19th and Arch and not the grassy "2 Penn Plaza" lot, that we can expect something taller than 500 feet tall (or whatever the max is along JFK). Because otherwise, why not build out 2 Penn Plaza? That location, in my opinion, is superior to 19th and Arch. First and foremost, it has direct connections to the Suburban Station concourse but it's also immediately adjacent to Comcast HQ and catty corner to the CITC. A tower at 19th and Arch would be roughly 2 blocks from the original Comcast and would require great expense to add a connection to Suburban Station.

I would welcome a third Comcast tower anywhere, but if it ends up going at 19th and Arch AND ends up being short, I'll be a slightly annoyed that the 2 Penn Plaza lot remains undeveloped.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But something having to do with the train tracks below JFK prevents the building of towers over 500 feet (?) along JFK. For this reason, the original Comcast was set back towards Arch, yes?

If that's true, then I'd have to imagine that if Liberty is building a third Comcast tower on 19th and Arch and not the grassy "2 Penn Plaza" lot, that we can expect something taller than 500 feet tall (or whatever the max is along JFK). Because otherwise, why not build out 2 Penn Plaza? That location, in my opinion, is superior to 19th and Arch. First and foremost, it has direct connections to the Suburban Station concourse but it's also immediately adjacent to Comcast HQ and catty corner to the CITC. A tower at 19th and Arch would be roughly 2 blocks from the original Comcast and would require great expense to add a connection to Suburban Station.

I would welcome a third Comcast tower anywhere, but if it ends up going at 19th and Arch AND ends up being short, I'll be a slightly annoyed that the 2 Penn Plaza lot remains undeveloped.
I was pondering the same thing several entries back. It seems a crime that such a prime lot has had no use proposed for it. If it's insufficient for Comcast's needs, I'm sure a residential building would do well there.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Wait, I did read that correctly, Comcast planning on 3 buildings on the 19th and Arch block....??? Wow. I thought maybe one ...some day.

Not Comcast, Liberty Property Trust. Comcast will likely occupy one tower. One tower will be residential.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

Correct. The grass plot at 18th and JFK can hold a tower up to 500 FT tall. Comcast occupying a tower at 19th and Arch would suggest it will be taller than that.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Correct. The grass plot at 18th and JFK can hold a tower up to 500 FT tall. Comcast occupying a tower at 19th and Arch would suggest it will be taller than that.
Gotta be. Otherwise, there's no sense in assembling parcels when you already have one that connects underground with your other buildings. Are there no rumblings at all with respect to the latter? If there's not enough interest in non-Comcast office space to get something started there, I would think that it could accommodate residential/hotel use. Something a little downmarket from the new Four Seasons might be a good fit.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Gotta be. Otherwise, there's no sense in assembling parcels when you already have one that connects underground with your other buildings. Are there no rumblings at all with respect to the latter? If there's not enough interest in non-Comcast office space to get something started there, I would think that it could accommodate residential/hotel use. Something a little downmarket from the new Four Seasons might be a good fit.
I think we'll see something here eventually. Once the 1900 block of Arch is developed then what? Comcast might want to save it for a final tower in the future should they need the additional space.

I'm not sure whether Comcast themselves or LPT own this grass plot, but I would assume it is LPT.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 6:02 PM

Somebody built the thing in Minecraft.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I think we'll see something here eventually. Once the 1900 block of Arch is developed then what? Comcast might want to save it for a final tower in the future should they need the additional space.

I'm not sure whether Comcast themselves or LPT own this grass plot, but I would assume it is LPT.
They must have big plans indeed if it makes more sense for them to go on an acquisition spree while they sit on a "shovel ready" parcel, which they or their development partner already own. Five hundred foot potential with existing concourse connections ain't "nothing."

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Old render:

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Old render:

I thought I saw an earlier render (when a more "mid-size" tower was planned the now Comcast site) with a taller building than that. After a quick Google image search, I was apparently mistaken. The dimensions look the same in all renderings. Certainly not 500 feet. Whether that's due to greater limitations than those suggested by Summers, who knows. I'm thinking it's a no-brainer for a hotel project, especially if the height limitations are more restrictive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture