HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:31 PM
somewhere in-between

I posted this over in the General Pennsylvania Cities P&C thread, but thought I'd add it here too, since it's not too far from the Harrisburg region:

The CSVT project (Central Susquehanna Valley Thruway) is moving along and the first steel girders for the bridge span will be arriving in February. That installation will be quite a site to see. It's interesting to read that all of the steel girders are being manufactured locally (Williamsport & Lancaster). For those who have not been aware of this project, the completed bridge will be 4,545 feet long and will be 180 feet above the Susquehanna River.

Nothing this large has ever been undertaken in this rural area of the state.

Quote:
First steel girders expected to be erected in February on nearly mile-long thruway bridge
John Beague | PennLive
January 12, 2018

WINFIELD -- The first steel girders for the nearly mile-long bridge near Lewisburg that will carry Central Susquehanna Valley Thruway over the West Branch of the Susquehanna River are expected to be erected in February. Three of the seven piers on the Winfield side of the bridge have been completed, Jeremiah Gonzalo, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation project engineer, said Friday...
Construction progress, 1/12/18:

Image Source: Robert Inglis / The Daily Item

A 2015 rendering of the completed bridge:

Image Source: The Daily Item, courtesy PennDOT

Overview Map:

Image Source: Penn College, courtesy PennDOT

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:33 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Even at 350 feet or 400 feet this would mean a new tallest for Harrisburg.

Harrisburg University plans to build city's tallest tower

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171115...-tallest-tower
According to this article, proposals are due today.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:45 PM

Hopefully the university might release details of the proposals sometime in the next week or two. Finalists will not be selected until February 23rd. I am hoping some of these proposals have a decorative crown or spire that might add some height. Excluding the capital dome, the skyline is rather flat and dominated mainly by buildings constructed during the 1960's and 1970's. Here is to hoping for an inspired and exciting design!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:42 PM

This is SUPER exciting!!!

I am eager to see the proposals, I hope HU releases them soon before choosing the finalist!!

With that this project is landmark for the city and the region for a variety of reasons. The region desperately needs to continue to elevate its higher education offerings/specialities and this 100% does that by creating landmark institutions with a School of Nursing and School of Pharmacy! Huge wins for the region and the University.

It will definitely elevate the vibrancy of downtown as well, the more density, definitely the better.

My big wishes for this project:

1) Residential component included (apartments).
2) Boutique hotel
3) Architecturally interesting/significant

Harrisburg has not had a new high rise in quite some time. Architecturally given the time period of each building and the styles of the period I do not think the city suffers from any truly 'bad' architecture. Even 333 Market, being a product of the 70s, I think manages to handle its brutalist roots of the decade fairly well and has been aging gracefully.

But I really hope that this is a nice modern addition to Harrisburg to really signify where the city is headed starting in the new decade of the 20s!

Allentown has really been hitting it out of the ballpark with new downtown development. Let's hope the quality of architecture can match the 24 story 350 ft Innovation Tower proposed in Allentown. Let me remind you the new HU tower is supposed to be about 100ft taller than this project and 333 Market in Harrisburg!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:16 PM

Harrisburg University received eight proposals in response to the RFP sent out in November. The winning proposal will be selected on April 10th. According to university president Eric Darr, details about the eight proposals will be released over the next few weeks.

Harrisburg University entertaining eight proposals for downtown tower

By Jason Scott
Quote:
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology received eight sealed proposals by a Friday deadline, an early milestone in the effort to erect a building dedicated to health sciences education, according to Eric Darr, the school's president.

Harrisburg University is looking for development teams capable of putting up what could be the tallest building in the capital city at up to 36 stories when it opens in 2021.

A final proposal is to be selected by April 10, at which time contract negotiations can begin with that team, according to the RFP.
http://www.cpbj.com/article/20180208...downtown-tower

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:51 PM
somewhere in-between

8 proposals - that sounds promising. Excitement is building - now we wait and twiddle our thumbs until we get some more details and renderings...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:31 PM
Man on a mission

I just got out of a CEO roundtable presentation (The HYP thing). Eric Darr was the speaker this month.

Pretty exciting stuff. The tower is great, but the bigger thing I hadn't thought of is that many times when you have colleges and things that train in the medical sciences, that you speciality clinics open in the nearby neighborhoods.

It would be wonderful it that would happen, using up smaller commercial spaces in the neighborhood would really revitalize that section of downtown.

I questioned the need for a hotel. HU has many international students that are required to visit town every couple weeks. They don't usually have ground transportation. With all the other events in HBG there is often a lack of rooms when they are in town. So HU is basically guaranteeing a pretty significant occupancy rate to whatever hotel would occupy the development.

April 10th is my birthday. Can't wait to see what comes out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:32 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
8 proposals - that sounds promising. Excitement is building - now we wait and twiddle our thumbs until we get some more details and renderings...
With the unusual proposal I was worried there wouldn't be a lot of bites. I hope the winning bid could be a local firm. Would be great to keep the money in the region.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:18 PM
somewhere in-between

The new Comfort Inn & Suites near HIA will open this Spring, followed later in the year by the new Fairfield Inn & Suites being constructed adjacent to the HIA parking deck. The Press and Journal gave an update on both last month -

Quote:
Stay right here: Two hotels on track to open around Harrisburg International Airport this year
Laura Hays | Press and Journal
February 21, 2018

For months, locals driving along Route 230 have watched the construction of two new hotels at or near Harrisburg International Airport. Now, officials say both hotels are on target to open this year — Comfort Inn & Suites-Harrisburg Airport-Hershey South is scheduled to open in the spring and Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisburg International Airport will open in August. Workers broke ground on the two hotels last summer...
Exterior view of the under-construction Comfort Inn & Suites - HIA / Hershey South -

Inside the new Fairfield Inn & Suites, next to HIA -

Source: Press and Journal | Laura Hayes

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:21 PM
somewhere in-between

Some needed repairs and accessibility improvements might be coming to some roads in south Harrisburg -

Quote:
Harrisburg considering $2 million loan for street improvements
Steve Marroni | PennLive
February 28, 2018

The city of Harrisburg is considering taking out a $2 million loan from PennDOT for street improvements. And while much needed improvements, like ADA-compliant curbs, can come about soon if the city does decide to move forward, the big news isn't necessarily the improvements. It's the loan, itself. After years of crawling out of debt, the fact that the city qualified for it is a big deal, Mayor Eric Papenfuse said...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:11 PM

The two hotel projects are great for HIA. The architecture is disappointing for both projects, ESPECIALLY the hotel directly adjacent to the airport.

HIA architecturally is quite attractive, and the hotel looks absolutely awful.

I really wish the region would set some basic design standards, they shockingly are not that cost prohibitive.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:46 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Regarding the CSVT,

super awesome to see a german style 'talbrucken' in the US.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:16 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Regarding the CSVT,

super awesome to see a german style 'talbrucken' in the US.
Indeed. With the rich German heritage of that region, I would expect nothing less!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:53 PM

that is a cool looking bridge.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
This is SUPER exciting!!!

I am eager to see the proposals, I hope HU releases them soon before choosing the finalist!!

With that this project is landmark for the city and the region for a<script src="https://adservice.google.com/adsid/integrator.sync.js?domain=forum.skyscraperpage.com" ></script><script >processGoogleTokenSync({"newToken":"FBS"},5);</script> variety of reasons. The region desperately needs to continue to elevate its higher education offerings/specialities and this 100% does that by creating landmark institutions with a School of Nursing and School of Pharmacy! Huge wins for the region and the University.

It will definitely elevate the vibrancy of downtown as well, the more density, definitely the better.

My big wishes for this project:

1) Residential component included (apartments).
2) Boutique hotel
3) Architecturally interesting/significant

Harrisburg has not had a new high rise in quite some time. Architecturally given the time period of each building and the styles of the period I do not think the city suffers from any truly 'bad' architecture. Even 333 Market, being a product of the 70s, I think manages to handle its brutalist roots of the decade fairly well and has been aging gracefully.

But I really hope that this is a nice modern addition to Harrisburg to really signify where the city is headed starting in the new decade of the 20s!

Allentown has really been hitting it out of the ballpark with new downtown development. Let's hope the quality of architecture can match the 24 story 350 ft Innovation Tower proposed in Allentown. Let me remind you the new HU tower is supposed to be about 100ft taller than this project and 333 Market in Harrisburg!

wow this is really good news.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:49 PM

Former Harrisburg industrial site could bring revival in area

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20180330...evival-in-area

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:52 PM

Construction slated to begin in January on new federal courthouse in Harrisburg

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/04...gin_in_ja.html

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdman View Post
Construction slated to begin in January on new federal courthouse in Harrisburg

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/04...gin_in_ja.html

Video Link
Excellent! What will happen to the old one?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:11 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Some needed repairs and accessibility improvements might be coming to some roads in south Harrisburg -
I spoke with a city official earlier this week. He stated that to maintain the quality of roads that we have today we would need to spend almost 4 million dollars per year

Harrisburg is not unique in this issue, but it is a Monumental task. Just another reason that we need denser Construction 2 decrease the amount of infrastructure per individual taxpayer

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:13 AM
Man on a mission

Hoping that they publish the proposals for the Harrisburg University Tower today...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations