Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 8:00 PM

Suburbia Gets No Respect, But It Could Become a Very Different Place

Suburbia Gets No Respect, But It Could Become a Very Different Place

May 12th, 2016

By Randy Rieland

Read More: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...lace-180959087

Quote:
For years now, Alan Berger has been hearing that the world’s future lies in its cities, that they are the destinations of a great migration, the places where everyone, particularly millennials, want to live. By contrast, according to conventional thinking, suburbia is becoming a dead zone. The problem, he says, is that it’s not true.

- In fact, notes Berger, a professor of landscape architecture and urban design at MIT, it’s just the reverse. While urban areas are gaining population, the growth is in the suburbs, not downtown. As for millennials, Berger points out that census data shows more are leaving cities than moving into them. “People who are saying everyone will live in the city in the future aren’t reading the research,” he says.

- But he’s convinced that it’s the communities outside center cities that will be critical to sustaining urban areas as they evolve in the decades ahead. And so Berger, as co-director of MIT’s Center for Advanced Urbanism (CAU), recently helped organize a conference at the university titled, “The Future of Suburbia.” The meeting was the culmination of a two-year research project on how suburbs could be reinvented.

- One such technology is the autonomous car, which is what Berger talked about. A lot of media attention has been paid to the prospect of fleets of driverless vehicles constantly circulating on downtown streets, but he says the invention’s greatest impact will be in the suburbs, which, after all, have largely been defined by how we use cars. --- “It will be in suburb-to-suburb commuting,” Berger says. “That’s the majority of movement in our country.

- With truly autonomous vehicles still years away, no one can say with much certainty if they will result in people spending less time in cars. But Berger does foresee one big potential benefit—much less pavement. Based on the notion that there likely will be more car-sharing and less need for multiple lanes since vehicles could continuously loop on a single track, Berger believes the amount of pavement in a suburb of the future could be cut in half. You would no longer need huge shopping center parking lots, or even driveways and garages.

- Not only would fewer paved surfaces increase the amount of space that could be used for carbon-storing trees and plants, but it also would allow more water to be absorbed and reduce the risk of flooding in cities downstream. That kind of interdependence between suburbs and downtowns is at the heart of how Berger and others at the CAU see the future. Instead of bedroom communities of cul-de-sacs and shopping malls, the suburbs they’ve imagined would focus on using more of their space to sustain themselves and nearby urban centers.

- Their model of a future metropolitan area of 3 million people looks very different from what we’ve come to know. Rather than have neighborhoods continuously spreading outward from a downtown core, it presents a handful of dense clusters amid what Berger describes as a “big sea of suburban development that’s much more horizontal than vertical." It would, he says, function as a “kind of holistic sustainable machine.”

- Berger does concede that there are times he feels he’s pushing a rock up a hill, given the common misconception that most of the world’s population is flocking into cities. He says that’s largely based on a United Nations report projecting that by 2050, 66 percent of the people on Earth will live in urban areas. The term “urban areas,” he points out, has been widely misinterpreted as meaning cities. “Certainly, the world’s urbanizing, but it’s urbanizing in a much different way than cities,” he says. “It’s urbanizing horizontally.”

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 8:13 PM
BANNED

He seems to have studied in the Joel Kotkin School of Economics where you only look at Qd and completely ignore prices.

No shit the growth is in the suburbs. Thats the only part of America that we legally let grow.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 8:23 PM
Never Dell

One way they're succeeding is by becoming more urban. More transit, more density, more diverse....

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 8:25 PM

And the suburbs would be better for solar power layouts.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:49 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Explain all the superfluous space to me. Less parking and less brick and mortar square footage means more compact footprint even when people get their big yards. Why pay for added land and infrastructure and loose connectivity in the process?

Land ain't free and this ain't simcity where it's all terra nova devoid of existing property lines.

A modern style broad acre city ruled by robot cars that know where I've been and let big brother tell me where I can and can't go because walking and biking have been effectively banned sounds like my inner ring of hell...

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:50 AM

This guy sounds like an unimaginative hack and I'm surprised he's got a position at MIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
One way they're succeeding is by becoming more urban. More transit, more density, more diverse....
Not really.

America doesn't built new urban neighborhoods with transit. The ones that exist are that way because they had to be, before the car, and therefore had the requisite density to justify transit investment when that was being built. The closest thing we could get now is a bunch of condo towers going up in auto-oriented sprawl, and then someone decides it makes sense to build a light rail line to connect the basketball arena to the shopping mall (Houston, Minneapolis, etc). They won't actually achieve a real urban fabric because the combination of factors that produced that up until the early 20th century is gone.

I'm not sure what diversity has to do with anything either. Diversity is a feature of the central parts of major Western cities today, but it's not a prequisite for a successful urban city. Most of the great Western cities were fairly homogeneous when they were built; most cities in the developing world still are.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:02 AM
BANNED

^Agreed.

Even in Europe the iconic dense mid rise blocs they're famous for are essentially illegal to build today:

http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2015...is-how-it.html

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:49 PM
Never Dell

I mean "more urban" not "south side of Center City Philadelphia."

Lots of suburban nodes are going up that are dense, walkable, and halfway-decently transit served, even if they're amidst sprawly areas. Some of these have highrises.

And yes there's a lot of the Ptomkin variety too, where the only urban aspects are that the retail is along the streets and the parking is in the back and maybe partially structured, and there's a little housing on the side.

The diversity aspect isn't debatable in terms of the major Census Dept. categories, since we have stats. Maybe it's some cities more than others.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:18 PM

We can debate the point at which "urban" is a descriptor that applies. My point is that we won't get neighborhoods like pre-war neighborhoods anymore. Not unless building codes change, limits are set on parking, ADA requirements for accessibility are eliminated, etc.

Quote:
The diversity aspect isn't debatable in terms of the major Census Dept. categories, since we have stats. Maybe it's some cities more than others.
I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Do big, urban cities tend to be diverse? On the whole, yes (although specific neighborhoods, including some of the most desirable as evidenced by pricing, are not very diverse). Is this a necessary ingredient in their success? That depends what sort of diversity you mean... socioeconomic diversity is important (at least within reasonable proximity).

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:40 PM
Never Dell

I mean that suburbia has been getting more diverse in most regions.

Urban areas often don't have parking requirements. I don't know of surburban areas that don't, but the lower limits have improved substantially in some places.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:31 PM

I don't know how the parking requirements in the suburban Toronto area compare to US cities, but there's a decent amount of live-work townhouses with the home on the 2nd/3rd floor and shop on the ground floor being built. Usually they have a back alley providing a couple parking spots per unit for the residents, and on-street parking for customers. The businesses are mostly of the sort with relatively low parking needs, but still, it's a start.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
I mean that suburbia has been getting more diverse in most regions.

Urban areas often don't have parking requirements. I don't know of surburban areas that don't, but the lower limits have improved substantially in some places.
Right. My point is that diversity and urbanity have nothing to do with each other. Urban places tend to be more diverse nowadays, but increased diversity does not make a place more urban.

As for parking requirements, downtown Chicago is one of the most urban places in the US and there are minimum parking requirements for new builds.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:08 PM
Never Dell

Chicago is behind the curve then. Lots of downtowns don't have parking minimums. In little ol' Seattle buildings routinely go up without parking.

Diversity isn't required for urbanity, but I and others associate it with most urbanity in the US at least. The increasing diversity of many/most suburbs is a sign that they're becoming more like urban places, even if it doesn't make them more urban per se.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:04 PM

It's a non sequitur. Diverse, auto-oriented sprawl is still auto-oriented sprawl. Increasing diversity in suburbs makes them more diverse, it doesn't make them more urban. That they share a characteristic with many urban places is totally meaningless.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
As for parking requirements, downtown Chicago is one of the most urban places in the US and there are minimum parking requirements for new builds.
Not to get too OT, but zero parking is absolutely an option for downtown developers under the Chicago Zoning Code. The real estate industry (developers, architects, brokers) are still in an experimentation phase figuring out how to make residential buildings successful with zero parking, but they already have the flexibility to eliminate parking entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It's a non sequitur. Diverse, auto-oriented sprawl is still auto-oriented sprawl. Increasing diversity in suburbs makes them more diverse, it doesn't make them more urban. That they share a characteristic with many urban places is totally meaningless.
This is only true if you define urban as a physical reality instead of a social one. I think most Americans would agree that "urban" connotes a diverse array of cultures and incomes and a greater level of social issues, whereas "suburban" connotes a pretty homogenous, stable middle-class reality.

Auto orientation is only part of it. But it's an important part. Car ownership is a significant cost that poor suburbanites must shoulder, while their urban counterparts get the advantage of public transportation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions