HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 1:34 PM
Closed account

A bit off topic, but does anyone know any local seafood markets that specialize in sustainable seafood? Or even just highlight sustainable options? Gotta have fish on Good Friday!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
A bit off topic, but does anyone know any local seafood markets that specialize in sustainable seafood? Or even just highlight sustainable options? Gotta have fish on Good Friday!
Atlantic Fish Market on James Street North has the best fish store in Hamilton. I'm not sure about the sustainablity of their supply though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 1:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I think it's called Newfie Seafood Shop or something on Kenilworth between Main/Barton!

EDIT: Newfie Shoppe & Fish Market Contact : (905) 548-9222
Address : 269 Kenilworth Ave N, just N/ Barton.
Hamilton, ON , L8H4S6

info courtesy yellow.ca

Last edited by DC83; Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 3:44 PM
Closed account

Newfie Shoppe is great.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The Neapolitan tradition is wood-fired. Coal-fired is a New World adaptation, first empoyed by Italian immigrants to NYC (coal being much cheaper an more accessible for NYC immigrants).
Give it up man...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Give it up man...
What? Burning coal? Never have personally...

But, to get back on topic here, someone had mentioned Acclamation earlier (RTH?). They are great for Portugese food, but I prefer Ventura's across the way. But I don't think either of them has a coal-burning oven...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:03 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Give it up man...
Wood in Naples, coal in NYC. He's right, you're wrong (Coal-fired flavor: this is an NY Times link, you may need to do the free login procedure, I'm not sure). This is an interesting tangent to the thread.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:31 PM
Hammer'd

Well I'm glad theres still some people that take pizza serious. Too many crappy pizza joints out there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:33 PM
Closed account

haha...this is too funny.
Despite goldfinger's claim that whoever decides to open up a coal-fired pizza place will make a fortune, I think we can safely say that
1. if that was true, he'd be doing it himself and not telling us.
2. now we are scouring the net trying to find out if anyone uses coal anywhere....apparently it's not guarunteed money maker (I'm stunned ).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:56 PM

March 28th- March 30th, 2008
Hamilton Convention Centre
1 Summers Lane Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Show Dates/Times
Friday March 28th - 5pm - 10pm
Saturday March 29th - 12noon - 10pm
Sunday March 30th- 12noon - 5pm

Everyone should go. I have been to the previous two and they where great. Come thirsty, hungry and don’t drive.
Take a cab or the HSR.

http://www.foodanddrinkfest.com/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 12:07 AM

Where to get a good meatball sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
some more great eats:

Bronzies Place - James South. Friggin brilliant. That's all that needs to be said.
So, based on the many recommendations on this board, I went to Bronzies today.

Not brilliant. The staff were very friendly, the food was generously portioned, but the 'baller I had was uninspired. Crappy sauce over decent meatballs on a corner store sub roll. I will come back for the pizza before I completely write it off.

Best sandwich shop in town that I've found is Paninoteca on Upper Upper Upper James (south of Rymal Rd). Fresh homemade sauce and bread, huge portions. Just don't go there for dinner, they close at 7!

Also, the bifana sandwich at the Portuguese bakery on James north is out of this world.

The paninis at Ole Gourmet (locke south) are also decent, if you have the time to wait while Frank simmers the meat in the sauce for you. He uses all organic, local meat and veg, too.

When I moved to Hamilton, I expected this town to be swarming with cheap, authentic Italian sandwich shops, but so far, I have not found one that has really blown me away. Where's the best 'baller in town?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 12:07 AM

lots of $2 off coupons floating around for that. I may have a pdf of one somewhere, msg me if you want one. Otherwise I have seen them on the counter of the LCBO as well as many other places.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
Bistro Parisien
150 James Street South

This is an intimate, comfortable place serving very competently prepared traditional French bistro fare. I have been here often for firm lunches and dinners. In particular, I always enjoy the steak frites and generously proportioned salads. Off-menu specials, particularly the fish, are also a good bet. There is (by Hamilton standards) a pretty decent winelist with a number of good Ontario selections. Ambience is excellent. Staff is unobtrusive and polite (traditional French service, unlike the cloying effusive friendliness one finds at chain restaurants). Tends to attract a more mature, old money Durand sort of crowd (which is a good thing). Prices are fairly high by Hamilton standards but ultimately quite reasonable.
I am looking forward to a real steak frites dinner in Hamilton. Sushi Supreme and Le Sélect Bistro are the two restaurants I wish I could import to Hamilton. I've given up on sushi in this town, but you give me hope for real bistro fare.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Sinclair View Post

Not brilliant. The staff were very friendly, the food was generously portioned, but the 'baller I had was uninspired. Crappy sauce over decent meatballs on a corner store sub roll. I will come back for the pizza before I completely write it off.

Best sandwich shop in town that I've found is Paninoteca on Upper Upper Upper James (south of Rymal Rd). Fresh homemade sauce and bread, huge portions. Just don't go there for dinner, they close at 7!

Also, the bifana sandwich at the Portuguese bakery on James north is out of this world.

The paninis at Ole Gourmet (locke south) are also decent, if you have the time to wait while Frank simmers the meat in the sauce for you. He uses all organic, local meat and veg, too.

When I moved to Hamilton, I expected this town to be swarming with cheap, authentic Italian sandwich shops, but so far, I have not found one that has really blown me away. Where's the best 'baller in town?
I don't like Bronzie's entrees either, but their pizza is very unique.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 1:10 AM
Closed account

Thanks block 43 and DC83. I'll give both a try and see how they are in the sustainability department. Enjoy your Good Friday. Peace.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Sinclair View Post

Can't speak for the 'baller, but Basilique in Westdale makes a mean steak and cheese sub.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:33 AM
Hammer'd

Duarte's on Barton, between Wentworth and Victoria is probably worth a try for sandwiches. I've heard nothing but good things.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:38 AM
Closed account

Duartes is friggin amazing for sandwiches....I love the veal with onions, peppers etc.... I can't speak from personal experience, but have been told that Pane del Sole bakery on John North is good too.
Never had one a Bronzies...the pizza is the real treat there. Awesome.
Also, Poco Loco on Ottawa North is awesome for burritos, nachos (HUGE) and tacos. very good and fresh tasting.
Also, Bonanza Bakery in the north end has great, cheap Italian sandwiches...don't think any are hot though. Just meat/cheese types.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:48 AM

I haven't been to Duarte's in a while, I used to go all the time when my wife worked in that part of town. $2 even for a sandwich, you can't beat that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Also, Bonanza Bakery in the north end has great, cheap Italian sandwiches...don't think any are hot though. Just meat/cheese types.
They have a new hot food counter. Go early for lunch or get caught in the line up. Noon is filled with firefighters, police officers, jail guards, paramedics, city workers and a lot of other people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation