HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:52 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ9000 View Post
Understandable.

However, I am not sure what kind of proof you would be looking for or I could provide that would satisfy you.
Hey hey now, I was just asking! How about... hints about it? Maybe this can become the SSP construction guessing game

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Hey hey now, I was just asking! How about... hints about it? Maybe this can become the SSP construction guessing game
OK a hint

Part of the plan will be asking the residents what attractions they would like to see in the park.

and if everything works the main attraction would be something like this...

http://www.whitewaterwest.com/_Libra...WavePool_2.pdf

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:47 PM

Residents ... of what part of the city?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:57 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ9000 View Post
OK a hint

Part of the plan will be asking the residents what attractions they would like to see in the park.

and if everything works the main attraction would be something like this...

http://www.whitewaterwest.com/_Libra...WavePool_2.pdf
With alot of space... Transcona? Charleswood? Amber Trails?

Also, wheres the slides!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
Residents ... of what part of the city?
The initial idea had looked at the Polo park site; however, due to underground utilities running through the middle of property, it may not be the best place. New location is yet to be decided but will need several acres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
With alot of space... Transcona? Charleswood? Amber Trails?

Also, wheres the slides!
Cannot say at the moment; however, the attempt is to have the slides the residents would like to see plus have slides that can have high throughput to minimize lines. You might even see a flow rider if every thing works.

Cannot provide much more detail at the moment. If everything works, website will be launched soon to promote plus press release.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Another water park planned at Ikea site

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/04/2...r-park-seasons

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:24 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...148478655.html

Two-fold surprises today.

1) Council is actually making sense in regards to their comments and

2) Free Press commenters are also actually making sense in regards to their comments.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:42 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

2) Free Press commenters are also actually making sense in regards to their comments.
I still can't believe Scott Fielding is supporting this crap. Ain't voting for him next election, especially since I'm 18.

And agreed, they seem to actually know what they're saying.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:37 PM

Maybe they're listening to us?

Here's hoping that the 'Seasons of Tuxedo' plan comes out soon and literally 'blows them out of the water' -- Its good to see that there is recognition that 50,000sq/ft facility is not up to the standards of being a city-wide amenity. I think CanAlta's goal here is to try to cash in on the location as a hotel (which is undeniably a prime location for a hotel). The waterpark hype is merely what we're being sold on for them to get the site... and the grant money too.

Personally, I'd rather see the private developers go all-in on their water park, make it spectacular, and the city invest the 7M into maybe some upgrades at existing pools. The lack of family change rooms at Pan Am pool is one thing that comes to mind.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:36 PM

[QUOTE=Mininari;5676313]Maybe they're listening to us?

Here's hoping that the 'Seasons of Tuxedo' plan comes out soon and literally 'blows them out of the water' -- Its good to see that there is recognition that 50,000sq/ft facility is not up to the standards of being a city-wide amenity. QUOTE]

In the Free Press thread on the water Park, Bartley Kives writes that he did some investigating and found no proof to support the rumour that a water park is being built at "Seasons of Tuxedo".

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
In the Free Press thread on the water Park, Bartley Kives writes that he did some investigating and found no proof to support the rumour that a water park is being built at "Seasons of Tuxedo".
Regardless if there is or is not a waterpark planned for Seasons of Tuxedo the proposal for Parcel 4 at The Forks is the wrong thing for that site. It is also too small a waterpark. Those are facts that seem to be coming up repeatedly.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 6:03 PM

CBC Claims that Steen is leaning towards a yes in the vote. It seems that Councillors are more concerned with keeping their leader happy than their citizens. That means that the fate of Parcel 4 rests with Martha. I really do hope that she votes no. It would be a wonderful slap in Sam's face if this didn't go through, followed by this pet project finally being laid to rest.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
CBC Claims that Steen is leaning towards a yes in the vote. It seems that Councillors are more concerned with keeping their leader happy than their citizens. That means that the fate of Parcel 4 rests with Martha. I really do hope that she votes no. It would be a wonderful slap in Sam's face if this didn't go through, followed by this pet project finally being laid to rest.
Martha?

Devi Sharma. http://winnipeg.ca/council/old_kildonan.stm

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
That's it, my bad. I knew it was something like that.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 9:33 PM

Sharma did a lot of work for the provincial liberal party but won the election on her standing in the community rather than any sort of defined platform (literally non-committal on any issue). She was previously involved with the myac program in the maples which provides drop in programs for youth. The whole $7 million being used to give underprivileged youth an opportunity to go to the water park might be right up her alley. My guess is she caves into Katz and votes yes.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 9:48 PM

Quote:

Oh man, I really hope Steen and Sharma side with the train of thought Nordman has.

If Steen votes 'yes', then Sharma may hold the deciding vote. I hope everyone can get in touch with her to let her know!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:33 PM

I just sent this message to the councillors, hopefully this adds an opinion among many others; both in support and against.

Quote:
Hello Counc. ________,

I understand your message box must be getting flooded with comments regarding the proposed Water-Park development across the Human Rights Museum.

I also understand there are many items to take into consideration when it comes to deciding a "yes" or "no" vote.

I would simply like to contribute my own opinion for your consideration.

Firstly, I do understand that something is better than nothing on that empty parking lot. That said, the potential for something great that would add to the urban quality and life of downtown is something very important. A 50,000 sq ft water park and hotel by a "Super 8 Motel" type hotel developer is not the type of development that should be sitting across something as drawing, inspiring and important as the first national museum outside of Ottawa.

We're talking about a site that represents the entire nation, and although in the short term, a guaranteed development across the site seems like the best course of action, in the long term we are losing one of the prime parcels of land that could lead to a greater urban fabric within Winnipeg.

For instance, let us consider what could be there: condo developments, walking-level retail stores, open market spots for the summer; a natural path way for those who walk from the Exchange or across Main Street or St. Boniface to the Forks. Additionally, we already have many hotels being built. If a hotel must be accompanying this site, what about a higher end brand? Why should CanAlta be the victor to develop at that location? Out of all of their current hotels, I have not seen one standout in terms of architecture or design. They seem "small town" and "cheap", and we have not seen any plans or designs on their behalf as to what their vision looks like. To me, this seems doomed to become an eventual disappointment.

On the other hand,

I understand that land may take some time to develop (but this will likely be in the forefront of everyone's mind's when the Museum actually opens),

Yet imagine 5-10 years from now, increasing foot traffic, and having a desirable place to walk, shop, eat and socialize mixed with condo developments. This is something we would see in Montreal, which is considered one of the most desirable cities to live in the world. And it is something that fits with the Forks better. Increasing the population of this area is never a bad idea. There have been Condo and Mixed use development proposals, and these should be #1 in contention. Even if there were only 100 units built in this area, that is at the very least 100 more people supporting the businesses in the Forks, walking to the Exchange, adding to bus fares, adding to foot traffic across the bridge in St. Boniface, and creating a greater impression on people who come from out of town. I travel a great deal across this country, I am in fact in Calgary currently as I type this message out, and increased foot traffic is very important to the livelihood of a city.

Looking further ahead still, 15-30 years from now that area could be a very desirable place to live and connect nearby a potential future Rapid Transit hub, either at the VIA rail station or nearby as the plans currently account for. By then, the city will also be over a million people, with greater expectations; and this site would have been wasted as a 50,000 sq ft water park that will do nothing to solve long term issues related to making the area an attractive place to be. No young students or bachelor aged individuals will be interested in this type of development (these are the main people who are growing our downtowns population, making it safer to walk downtown, and increased foot traffic also makes a safer impression for people in general).

But all of this is only accomplished by forward thinking. Winnipeggers should start to demand the best, and only the best. We should be beyond simply "accepting" whatever proposal comes our way.

I am not against the idea of a Water Park in Winnipeg, but if we will do that, then I hope we do it right. Let's build something bigger than 50,000 sq ft. Let's build it somewhere such as the Seasons of Tuxedo development where it makes sense and the space is available. And let's not waste an important site that could genuinely enhance downtown Winnipeg with proper mixed use developments.

Thank You very much for taking the time to read this, Counc. ______.

I do hope you take this opinion, along with even those that are opposing opinions into consideration on Wednesday, and whatever is finally decided we will all have to live with, whatever that may be.

Once again, Thank You very much, Take Care, and Good Luck.

- Sincerely, ________

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:19 AM
BANNED

Hope all of you have contacted your city councillor in regards to the water park vote. Sounds to me like some of the city councillors once for this project are starting to GET IT.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:26 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hope all of you have contacted your city councillor in regards to the water park vote. Sounds to me like some of the city councillors once for this project are starting to GET IT.
I'm thinking of sending a thank you to the ones who have come out against it. What do u think?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 7:02 PM

I'm not even in Winnipeg right now and I've sent letters to all of them, and had a few thoughtful replies which is nice

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan