HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

I got my newest issue the other day… damn it’s hot!!!

Well done SactownRob, each issue takes city pride to a new level

WOW! I need to buy a copy ASAP. Great cover!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:56 AM

The people on Sacramento's YELP forum are quite bullheaded and I find them to be endlessly entertaining when they dig their claws into a sizzling-HOT topic such as Rite Aids in Sacramento.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:50 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ Haha, great find. I particularly found this amusing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YELP forum post
I like midtown and I don't want it to turn into another downtown Portland.
Oh no, that would be a crime!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 4:32 PM
Hindrance to Development

Of course, the person who posted that was someone who had moved from Portland to Sacramento, so maybe that tells you something.

I kinda like 'em. Maybe I'll start posting over there and bother you guys less with my "hey check out this cool adaptive reuse" stuff.

(awaiting resounding cries of "don't let the door hit you in the ass")

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 5:28 PM
my posse's on broadway

People like that are a dime a dozen. The interweb is littered with self-depricating, cynical Sacramentans. They talk down on everything and wax nostalgic about the way things used to be. They like it the way it was when they were younger and now that their saddled with the responsiblity for the city's future, it's all so hopeless... blah blah blah.

For the most part, they don't actually care about anything enough to make a difference. Just like to vent the same pathetic exasperation and shake their fists at the world as it turns around them.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 1:31 AM

wburg: It looks like you've found a captive audience over there on YELP!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:27 AM
Edge_City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrist View Post
wburg: It looks like you've found a captive audience over there on YELP!

I would rather live in SAC, see the sun all the time, and talk about a Rite Aid than live in a city where it rains 150 days out of the year and is cloudy the rest...Portland's the type of town that provides people with suicidal tendencies an extra incentive.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

I got my newest issue the other day… damn it’s hot!!!

Well done SactownRob, each issue takes city pride to a new level
Thanks, Mike! Sorry for the delayed response. The wife and I have been putting in crazy hours up here and I can't check in on the board nearly as often as I'd like. We'll have to get you back in our pages soon!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 11:13 AM

Ahh, hate the freeways in Portland. The left lane freeway signs (NB) always seem to indicate you're heading to Washington (no one's ever in that lane) which means the other two are constantly bottle-necked.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 9:53 PM
my posse's on broadway

The "Grub Groupie" on the Midtown Grid blog is reporting that Mother India has closed. They also report that a mexican restaurant is rumored to be moving into that spot.

This is not particularly news worthy on its own, except that the parcel of the former Mother India restaurant is/was slated for demo in order to make room for Cathedral Square. Last I had heard, Cathedral Square was in good shape and going through the design review process.

So either this future mexican joint is just a rumor and Cathedral Square will be proceeding as planned.... or it's postponed for quite some time and we get (another) mexican restaurant. Anyone have any clues?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 10:49 PM

Cathedral Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
The "Grub Groupie" on the Midtown Grid blog is reporting that Mother India has closed. They also report that a mexican restaurant is rumored to be moving into that spot.

This is not particularly news worthy on its own, except that the parcel of the former Mother India restaurant is/was slated for demo in order to make room for Cathedral Square. Last I had heard, Cathedral Square was in good shape and going through the design review process.

So either this future mexican joint is just a rumor and Cathedral Square will be proceeding as planned.... or it's postponed for quite some time and we get (another) mexican restaurant. Anyone have any clues?
Itll be a while for Catherdal Square but I dont think time line would allow any kind of investment for a restaurant owner

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 10:49 PM

The Mexican restaurant is owned by the same people who ran Mother of India (I know, weird). They just changed the type of food they are serving. They are on a very short term lease, or even manybe month to month. They are being allowed to stay around until the project receives the demo permit.

Speaking of Cathedral Square, it was to be on the city agenda next week...but it was pulled since all issues were resolved. No clue what the isses were. So things still look good.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post

I walked by the the former mother india site about a week ago and they had a sign advertising that a mexican restaurant would be coming soon.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 11:05 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
The Mexican restaurant is owned by the same people who ran Mother of India (I know, weird). They just changed the type of food they are serving. They are on a very short term lease, or even manybe month to month. They are being allowed to stay around until the project receives the demo permit.

Speaking of Cathedral Square, it was to be on the city agenda next week...but it was pulled since all issues were resolved. No clue what the isses were. So things still look good.
cool, thanks for the info.

maybe the owners of Mother India are trying something out before they make a larger investment somewhere else? That's the only logic i can come up with anyway... tandoori tacos anyone??

i just ran a permit search on it, and it looks like this answers the question about the resolved issue...

Special Permit-Other
Description: to allow an architectural embellishment that will exceed the height requirements in the Capitol View Protection area.
Decision: Withdrawn
Decision Date: 08/23/2007

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 5:12 AM

The mexican restaurant has been open for at least 2 weeks..Enchilada buffet or something.

I went the other day......The place is a hell hole.....ripped and duct-taped carpet, no air conditioning, an odd odor.....food was average at best. And at 12 noon the place had 5 or so people eating......I will not be back.

PS I never thought mother india was anything to write home about......

PPS the owner was out front hawking people on the street to come on in for good eats.....(most ignored him, which my group should have)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 6:15 AM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
And at 12 noon the place had 5 or so people eating......I will not be back.
hopefully you won't even get the chance before the demolition begins.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 3:49 AM

Portland City Storage: 175,000 sq.ft. of Solar Cells
This complex is a storage facility to be built by Portland City Storage on the east bank of the Willamette River in Portland. It will have a glass tower rising more than 22 stories and enclosing a giant mechanical arm capable of lifting 40,000 pounds (to conserve valuable riverfront land).
The building is designed to house boats, recreational vehicles and storage pods, and will hopefully get a Platinum LEED certification by the Green Building Council. The design includes 175,000 square feet of integrated solar panels, which will make it the largest solar facility in the Northwest, with the excess power being sold to Portland General Electric.
It will be built on just three acres, compared to the more than 30 acres that would be required for a conventional single-story storage facility of a similar capacity.
The building also will have a green roof that collects and recycles rainwater. It will also feature walkways and bike paths that will help connect Southeast Portland neighborhoods to the river and downtown.

images from http://www.gizmodo.com

(Portland City Storage via METAEFFICIENT)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 6:56 PM

I thought this was interesting
SMUD HQ in1962:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 5:37 PM
my posse's on broadway

Urban plan, but city keeps options open

By Mary Lynne Vellinga - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 12:17 am PDT Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A1

The new general plan in the works for the city of Sacramento marks a big departure from growth as usual. Rather than embracing a future of strip malls and single-family homes, a draft map endorsed by the Sacramento City Council in June envisions a far more urban Sacramento than exists today.

Twenty-four-story buildings would punctuate the landscape in satellite downtowns near Arden Fair mall and Arco Arena. A university town would bustle at 65th Street. Tired-looking arteries now devoted mostly to shopping would be transformed with thousands of housing units. "We're looking at a different way to accommodate growth; it's not just going to be out, it's going to be in," said City Councilman Rob Fong.

Mayor Heather Fargo said the idea is to "correct some of the suburban, less functional parts of our previous communities and add enough density that there are things to walk to, and they're safer." Yet even as the city plans a facelift of its older neighborhoods, Fargo and other City Council members have directed their staff to study the pros and cons of annexing thousands more acres of farmland -- the key ingredient for suburban subdivisions.

The city also is considering whether to pursue annexation of large swaths of unincorporated urbanized territory, such as the Fruitridge area, Arden Arcade, Rosemont and the town of Freeport. That would give the city responsibility for additional aging neighborhoods that need redevelopment. If Sacramento annexed all the areas it is studying, the amount of land within city limits would increase 75 percent. City staff members working on the 2030 growth plan say all this land won't be needed for growth in the next quarter-century -- if the city sticks to the ambitious density goals under discussion. Those goals call for a 50-percent increase in population with just a 4 percent increase in land. "Do we need the acreage? No," said Tom Pace, director of the city's long-range planning effort. "But it's a question of what kinds of homes people want to live in." Bob Overstreet, strategic projects executive with the city, said Sacramento needs to offer large-lot housing for executives who might otherwise choose new homes in Placer County or elsewhere. "If we want new companies here, that's going to be really important," he said.

Sacramento's environmental community - which has advocated more focus on existing neighborhoods - is gearing up to oppose this expansionist vision, saying it undercuts the supposed thrust of the new general plan. "The city's got God knows how many acres of land that it's ignoring or only giving lip service to in terms of revitalization," said Graham Brownstein, executive director of the Environmental Council of Sacramento. If the city continues to focus on growing outward rather than on improving its existing neighborhoods, he said, "I see a potential future 50 years down the road where other than midtown and the central business district you just have this endless sea of Central Valley suburban mess."

Councilman Fong, however, said he thinks the city can have it both ways: rebuilding urban neighborhoods while continuing to build new ones on open ground. Fong said the city should stake out its future borders, particularly because cities such as Rancho Cordova and Elk Grove continue to jockey for position. New suburban growth, he said, can produce fees to offset the costs of redeveloping inner-city neighborhoods. Critics don't buy this argument. Jim Pachl, a lawyer for Friends of the Swainson's Hawk, noted that Bay Area cities with little or no room left for growth have focused on redeveloping existing communities with notable success. "Local governments there still seem to be in business," he said.

The genesis for Sacramento's new urban focus lies in the Blueprint, a regional growth plan adopted in 2004 by Sacramento and other members of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments. This plan aims to improve walkability of communities and slow the region's suburban spread. The Blueprint is not binding on individual governments. Nonetheless, Sacramento is trying to stick to it, officials said. The city is working on the environmental review and written policies for the general plan, and plans to have it ready for adoption in fall 2008.

Other jurisdictions, such as Placer and Yuba counties, already have deviated from the Blueprint. City staff members says this puts pressure on them to provide more suburban housing options with larger lots. "Even if Sacramento stuck to our guns, it wouldn't matter because nobody else is," Overstreet said. All of the areas being studied by the city are included in the Blueprint for eventual growth, he pointed out. It's a question of when, not if, they will develop.

Even without the new areas added for study, the general plan anticipates building on several large chunks of open land, including the 577-acre Greenbriar property just outside the northwest edge of the city, the 1,430-acre panhandle in North Natomas and the nearly 1,000-acre Delta Shores property, which lies between Sacramento and Elk Grove along Interstate 5. Combined, these properties account for a 4 percent increase in the city's footprint.

In addition, the Sacramento City Council has designated as "special study areas" all of unincorporated North Natomas to the Sutter County line, a portion of the east county stretching to Excelsior Road, and land on its southeastern flank out to Elk Grove-Florin Road on the east and Calvine Road on the south. Some of these same areas are also being studied by Sacramento County and Rancho Cordova for potential growth. "They've got great interest in our interest," Overstreet said.

freeway at 6:48 AM PST Tuesday, August 21, 2007 wrote:

No Future for You !!!!

Higher urban densities will equal increased congestion for all modes of transportation throught the region. This will work wonders for our local economy and mobility.

Given the plans for the region, I can see our future for the area. Generic, high density kennels for the workers, and large homes for "the executives." Ahh, nothing quite like the continued erosion of the land-owning Middle Class !!! It's happening globally, and also being planned locally. Sure is nice to see the so-called "social progressives" like Graham Brownstein pushing Sacramento's future into a New Calcutta, along with the elected officials.

If I lived in an area intended to be incorporated by the City of Sacramento, I'd move out as soon as I could. I wonder how many of our elected officials and "New Urnbanists" academia/ media/ advocates actually live in the high density communties they espouse. And would they live in such a development if they had the opportunity. Do they have kids to raise?

5 out of 15 people found this comment helpful.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 8:28 PM
Kodachrome

NIMBY ALERT!!! NIMBY ALERT!!!

By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Home free: Mike Klein thought he was prepared for the response after we identified him as the go-to guy for Mercy General Hospital's home giveaway. He wasn't.

"We were bombarded," says the Sacramento developer, who is helping the hospital unload five homes that stand in the way of a proposed expansion project.

After the story ran Monday, Klein says he received more than 80 calls and e-mails in the first 24 hours. How many have the resources to actually relocate a home, a process that requires an empty lot and estimated costs in excess of $80,000? Maybe a dozen folks, he says.

Meanwhile, the giveaway is generating plenty of anger from a group of east Sacramentans who oppose the hospital's project. One of them, Larry Augusta, calls it a "PR ploy" to blunt opposition to Mercy's controversial expansion.

And, he warns, neighbors will take to the streets if the homes are moved before there's a final City Council ruling on Mercy's proposed new cardiac center.

"There will be bodies lying down (in front of the moving trucks). It will be worse than Tiananmen Square," he says.

Fighting words. But unnecessary, says Wendy Hoyt, the urban planner working with Mercy.

The hospital expansion project goes before the Sacramento City Council on Nov. 27. None of the five homes will be moved before the council votes yea or nay, she says.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area