HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:04 PM

from warner bros. facebook:

Quote:
To celebrate the release of #BladeRunner2049, Canadian artist, Jamie MacDonald has created a stunning vision of tomorrow.
vancouver 2049

edmonton 2049

calgary 2049

regina 2049

winnipeg2049

toronto 2049

ottawa 2049

montreal 2049

peggys cove

st johns 2049

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I like that he kept the flat wall aesthetic of most of our modern midrises. Poor Battery residents, stuck in the 1500s forever.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:49 PM
I used to be THAT guy

From the "Québec - not your grandmother's Canada" file...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/b...b0eb18af05bd07

You need to click on one of the links in the article in order to view the actual video.

Some juicy quotes!

"As far as his comments [about my breasts], I think he was doing more a parody of the French culture in a way. More because...in North America the French are more at ease with our bodies than maybe the English people."

"And also, culturally, knowing that this was airing in Montreal, Quebec. And this humor, maybe we are a bit more open about it than on the English side. Maybe we’re a bit more at ease with this kind of humor... This is really an American thing, if I may say so. [Laughs] So anyway, all that is to say that I don’t know if [Affleck] would have done that [kind of interview] with an American interviewer... He did it knowing that we would find it fun in a French culture. I really think so. And we did, by the way. We really appreciate it."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:24 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Before he became Canada's version of this, when he was just Newfoundland's version of this. One of Rick Mercers' first street rants:

https://www.facebook.com/QonCBCRadio...vGNqSfDJ0OtykM

It warms my heart that this style of thing became popular on the mainland 20 years after it was played out here.

And his mimic of a Canadian accent, bravo. it's flawless. "Oh why did the chicken cross the road to get to the other side sense of humour". "Road". The way he says "road" is just perfect. It made me feel like I'm back in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Before he became Canada's version of this, when he was just Newfoundland's version of this. One of Rick Mercers' first street rants:

https://www.facebook.com/QonCBCRadio...vGNqSfDJ0OtykM

It warms my heart that this style of thing became popular on the mainland 20 years after it was played out here.

And his mimic of a Canadian accent, bravo. it's flawless. "Oh why did the chicken cross the road to get to the other side sense of humour". "Road". The way he says "road" is just perfect. It made me feel like I'm back in Winnipeg.
I had no idea Rick Mercer had an accent, that was awesome to watch haha.

But his "why did the chicken cross the road" is more stereotypical Canadian than actually Canadian. I still haven't met anyone that talks like that, and I certainly don't see how it reminds you of Winnipeg!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 6:47 AM

Blackberry’s self-driving car hits the road for 1st time in Canada

People watch as an autonomous car drives down an Ottawa street as the City of Ottawa and Blackberry QNX demonstrate the vehicle on Oct. 12.
Fred Chartrand/CP

https://globalnews.ca/news/3802423/b...edium=Facebook

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:32 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I had no idea Rick Mercer had an accent, that was awesome to watch haha.

But his "why did the chicken cross the road" is more stereotypical Canadian than actually Canadian. I still haven't met anyone that talks like that, and I certainly don't see how it reminds you of Winnipeg!
I forgot to indicate I was being facetious lol. Meant to put just kidding at the end lol. I even chose road because he said it so bad lol

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:47 AM
I used to be THAT guy

On Rick Mercer:

I get you think that you've lost him to Canada but his accent to me has only faded slightly since then. He still has a Nfld accent to my ear today.

I totally got the mainlander hoser Canadian accent he was doing there. It's fairly common in rural areas.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:50 AM
Spiritual

Aw look, Montreal gets an "arcology" but other cities have to wait.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I forgot to indicate I was being facetious lol. Meant to put just kidding at the end lol. I even chose road because he said it so bad lol
Okay my bad haha. I'll be honest though, depending on the speaker, I get Newfoundland and hoser accents confused from time to time.

I got a haircut (in Winnipeg) a couple weeks ago and the lady that did it told me she was from Newfoundland, but I actually thought she was from Ireland at first. But then she said she was after doing something or other, and I knew instantly

Also, I hope you know that you now come up in my head every time anything about Newfoundland comes up. I used to pass by a truck with an island silhouette decal on the back window - "I wonder what SHH would think?" I meet this (in my mind) quintessential Newfoundland woman who's moved around Canada with her family because her husband and now son are in the armed forces - "I wonder what SHH would think about her?"

This is probably for the rest of my life now

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On Rick Mercer:

I get you think that you've lost him to Canada but his accent to me has only faded slightly since then. He still has a Nfld accent to my ear today.

I totally got the mainlander hoser Canadian accent he was doing there. It's fairly common in rural areas.
I'd love to meet someone with the hoser accent because right now it's entirely mythical to me

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 7:37 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
I'd love to meet someone with the hoser accent because right now it's entirely mythical to me
I think it's s mainly rural east of the Rockies accent. I had a girl from Vancouver on my VIA train rolling through the Ontario countryside pick me out as being from BC because of my lack of accent. Same for myself the hoser accent I have only heard on tv no one around here talks like that as rural as our area is.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:28 PM
Because it's 2015.

Lots of hosers around Thunder Bay. I don't think you'd want to meet them though, they're shitty people. His take on their sense of humour is spot on, they're just too dim for real jokes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Ditto. While I've known a lot of people who dressed like Bob and Doug Mackenzie, I've never met anyone who sounded like them. Or actually used the word "hoser" either.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 11:13 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sigh. Mundy Pond is a near-core neighbourhood of St. John's. Flatrock is like 30 minutes North.

Quote:
People in Flatrock are exasperated with the goings-on in a new subdivision so much so that they have called a public meeting to seek answers.

There is only one house in the subdivision, known as Ocean View but the level of activity in the cul de sac has made life a living hell for Pauline Martin and her family. They live on the edge of it, and have to put up with speeding and having people drive onto their lawn in order to avoid speed bumps.

One Tuesday evening, Martin looked out and counted 27 cars and four motorcycles in the area. She says they eventually learned that the stage was being set for a big brawl.

She says a crowd from Mundy Pond and a crowd from Torbay, Pouch Cove and Flatrock were to have clashed, but by the time police arrived, there were only a few people still on scene. They then went to Pouch Cove, then the Jack Byrne Arena but each time police broke things up before anything untoward happened.

The meeting takes place 7:00 Wednesday at the Flatrock Community Centre.
http://vocm.com/news/flatrock-reside...ffic-brawling/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 11:52 AM
I used to be THAT guy

Meeting to brawl? People still do that?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:06 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Meeting to brawl? People still do that?
"I have something at 6 and 8, but I can fit you in for 7:30. Are brass knuckles OK for this one?"

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:59 PM

I'm thinking another musical - "East Side Story", perhaps? Bayman Tommy and Townie Jack, knives out as they compete for the hand of the beautiful Marjorie.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:23 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm thinking another musical - "East Side Story", perhaps? Bayman Tommy and Townie Jack, knives out as they compete for the hand of the beautiful Marjorie.
No one is fighting over Marjorie from around the bay. But Carol-Ann? They'd take her straight off the fish flakes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada