HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7561  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:19 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Hey Fourthtower according to the government here is their definition.

Supercluster:
A geographical region that is home to an especially strong industrial cluster or clusters linked through their shared reliance on specialized inputs, including technologies, talent and infrastructure. As compared to smaller or single-sector clusters, these innovation hotbeds benefit from stronger connections between firms and research talent, a long-term competitive advantage, global brand recognition, and an outsized impact on job creation and economic growth (GDP).
Thankyou a nice honest answer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7562  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:21 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,511
http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/...eat-1.23061945
Regina tenants in the driver's seat
Until Regina's office market evens out, tenants hold the power when it comes to lease negotiations and incentives
WI Staff Western Investor

Demand is higher for Class A space, which has a vacancy rate of about 8.7 per cent, while Class B is nearly twice that.

“Companies want the high-profile space and the spaces they’re leaving need to be back-filled. There is a glut of Class B
Canada’s first airtight highrise would need expensive, imported materials and represent a steep ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7563  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:47 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Thankyou a nice honest answer
The Bess must have some magical app that let's you search the Internet. Wow that is really cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7564  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:25 AM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The Bess must have some magical app that let's you search the Internet. Wow that is really cool.
I did it for discussion not for _________ now look at Bess now that's a nice answer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7565  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:58 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,768
Goodale handing out taxpayer funded "Goodies" all over town today. These include $17 million for transit, 3 low social housing projects and a bunch of community green energy retrofits. Probably many are worthwhile, but this is being repeated all over the country and we paying for more than our share as usual.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7566  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:08 PM
pappcam pappcam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Goodale handing out taxpayer funded "Goodies" all over town today. These include $17 million for transit, 3 low social housing projects and a bunch of community green energy retrofits. Probably many are worthwhile, but this is being repeated all over the country and we paying for more than our share as usual.
You're paying the taxes anyway. Why complain that we're at least getting something back in Regina for it??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7567  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 10:14 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
You're paying the taxes anyway. Why complain that we're at least getting something back in Regina for it??
I am wearing my taxpayer hat and only moderately complaining. My point is we pay more Federal tax than almost anywhere in the country other than Alberta. Therefore we get shortchanged on these nationwide programs. Also I am generally suspicious of the efficacy of these programs as they seem a bit forced at times and the Government is not always the best steward of our money. I have not analysed any of the expenditures, so I may be wrong this time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7568  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:19 AM
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
blacktrojan3921 blacktrojan3921 is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
They started this by not letting Harvard have all the names they wanted in Westerra. But if they let another Greens on Gardiner/Wascana View/Maple Ridge happen I'll lose it.
Well, the good news with that is that you can send a letter to the city formally requesting a name change to a Street, as long as they approve of it and you state the reasons why.

I've already done it for Harbour Landing Dr. (in Harbour Landing) And Fairways West Dr. (Fairways West) because it confuses and triggers me so much that those subdivisions have a street within themselves named after them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7569  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:55 AM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am wearing my taxpayer hat and only moderately complaining. My point is we pay more Federal tax than almost anywhere in the country other than Alberta. Therefore we get shortchanged on these nationwide programs. Also I am generally suspicious of the efficacy of these programs as they seem a bit forced at times and the Government is not always the best steward of our money. I have not analysed any of the expenditures, so I may be wrong this time.
I am pretty sure Ralph Goodale has done a better job at getting some money to flow back into our province than the previous conservatives did and they had many more MP's elected to Ottawa from Sask than the liberals ever do. Having said that, all governments do this at all levels so we shouldn't expect that to change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7570  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:43 PM
yveseluj yveseluj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Regina
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Well, the good news with that is that you can send a letter to the city formally requesting a name change to a Street, as long as they approve of it and you state the reasons why.

I've already done it for Harbour Landing Dr. (in Harbour Landing) And Fairways West Dr. (Fairways West) because it confuses and triggers me so much that those subdivisions have a street within themselves named after them.
Why?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7571  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 12:40 AM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Why?
I'm with you. It's pretty intuitive now to realize that Harbour Landing Drive is in Harbour Landing, for example. We've also done it before, e.g. Uplands Drive in Uplands.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7572  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 12:41 AM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 921
I vote to rename Regina Ave.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7573  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:09 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,768
In case you had nothing better to do and were wondering where they were taking the precast cutainwall panels from the Lorne Street Sasktel building, I found them at Saskatchewan Beach. It looks like they are using them to rebuild their boat launch


Last edited by Stormer; Oct 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7574  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:24 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I'm with you. It's pretty intuitive now to realize that Harbour Landing Drive is in Harbour Landing, for example. We've also done it before, e.g. Uplands Drive in Uplands.
...and University Park Drive.

a street named after the subdivision is fine by me... makes a lot of sense, especially if it's a main street in the subdivision.

Permitting virtually every street in an area to have essentially the same name is a trend that should've died years ago. I guarantee there's been numerous cases of delayed response times by emergency services due to miscommunication on street names (911 dispatch heard the wrong name; person calling it in read/said the wrong name; or responders misread/misheard the street name).

My dad lives on a street like this - only 2 or three streets with similar names in the area, luckily (not a Wascana View/Greens supercluster of similar names), and even then EMS went to the wrong street. Fortunately, there's a fire hall near by & they knew which street was which. Fire arrived a full 2mins before EMS... the Emergency doctor said 1 more minute & there would have been a loss of life.

And this exact scenario happened twice. Same house. Same street. Same address confusion.
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7575  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:01 PM
J-Walker J-Walker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Yes, and that is the problem.

The City reviews and approves street names based on what they believe to be the "local merit" of that name, rather than "technical merit." This is how we end up with "Green" or "Maple" everything in those subdivisions. So ya, does Regina have water? yep. Do we have a creek, yep! - well then, Green Water and Green Creek pass the test because they met the local context requirement, even though its confusing as hell and should not be technically approved because of the confusion it creates. Thankfully, this seems to have changed at City Hall.

Its also very frustrating how badly developers have destroyed the street naming suffix conventions in most new subdivisions as well. Every second street is now called a Boulevard when it clearly isn't one (because boulevard sounds like a higher property value suffix). A "road" suffix at one time indicated that a road was just a road, no sidewalks, no frontage - like Pinkie Road or Tower Road. A street was different, frontage with sidewalks typically. Now, they are used interchangeably. Not to mention streets and avenues run every which direction, no consistency. Its all a jumbled mess, but that is what happens when marketing departments get to name subdivisions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7576  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:02 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In case you had nothing better to do and were wondering where they were taking the precast cutainwall panels from the Lorne Street Sasktel building, I found them at Saskatchewan Beach. It looks like they are using them to rebuild their boat launch

What will the Sasktel building look like after?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7577  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:26 PM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In case you had nothing better to do and were wondering where they were taking the precast cutainwall panels from the Lorne Street Sasktel building, I found them at Saskatchewan Beach. It looks like they are using them to rebuild their boat launch

Photo doesn't work, but it's good they're getting rid of them. Because when I walked by it looks like they were storing them onsite to reuse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7578  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:36 PM
StealthGirl's Avatar
StealthGirl StealthGirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 638
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7579  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:13 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I'm with you. It's pretty intuitive now to realize that Harbour Landing Drive is in Harbour Landing, for example. We've also done it before, e.g. Uplands Drive in Uplands.
It would make sense... if they actually were intuitive. I went to a collegue's house the other day on Edgewater Bay. You would assume that it is in the Edgewater subdivision, but nope.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7580  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:33 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Photo doesn't work, but it's good they're getting rid of them. Because when I walked by it looks like they were storing them onsite to reuse.
They are probably looking to recycle as many as possible. I am having trouble with Google pictures hosting. It shows up then disappears over and over.

If someone sees the new cladding/glazing arrive, snap a pic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.