HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

    

Wilshire Grand Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4041  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:31 PM
Blesha13 Blesha13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90026
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Love the blinking red beacon at the top of the spire--can probably be seen for over 50 miles on clear night. Maybe the beacon should be orange since L.A. has been called the "Big Orange"? Maybe they could even lower a "big orange" ball down the spire on New Years Eve, like the ball they lower in Times Square? Will the spire itself ever be lit up? Anybody know? Would love to see some creative lighting on the WG tower like they do on the Empire State Building--e.g. big red heart on St. Valentine's Day etc. Would also like to see more light shows on the rival supertall U.S. Bank (Library) tower. Two supertalls in DTLA with light shows, at least on special days, would be awesome! Dynamic lighting also, that moves, or would that be too distractive to freeway motorists? Moving lights are common on many new buildings in other cities. Maybe just on special occasions, like a waving American flag light projection on 4th of July?
I emailed the people twice at WG should they consider adding a calendar on their website (something similar to Empire State Building's website) where they have a calendar and you can click on any date and shows the colors that were lit on the ESB. They have yet to reply back, but keep in mind this was last month and probably ignored my email.

One thing I dislike about the lights on the WG is that there's a certain time the lights turn off. You don't see the US Bank Tower turn its lights off at 2am. Would love to see the lights on the Wilshire Grand to stay on overnight, just like US Bank Tower.
__________________
GO DODGERS! GO LAKERS!
     
     
  #4042  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:40 AM
mt_climber13 mt_climber13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,131
Is this one still under construction?
     
     
  #4043  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:23 AM
Valyrian Steel's Avatar
Valyrian Steel Valyrian Steel is offline
So-called president
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 936
Nope. It finished a while ago. I assume the thread is supposed to be closed or moved.
     
     
  #4044  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:13 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I emailed the people twice at WG should they consider adding a calendar on their website (something similar to Empire State Building's website) where they have a calendar and you can click on any date and shows the colors that were lit on the ESB. They have yet to reply back, but keep in mind this was last month and probably ignored my email.

One thing I dislike about the lights on the WG is that there's a certain time the lights turn off. You don't see the US Bank Tower turn its lights off at 2am. Would love to see the lights on the Wilshire Grand to stay on overnight, just like US Bank Tower.
Most cities turn off the lights of their signature buildings after a certain time. Wilshire Grand isn't any different.
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
  #4045  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:25 PM
I LOVE L.A.! I LOVE L.A.! is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
I've contacted AC Martin's office twice about the lighting design failure on the spire and also submitted a letter to the Downtown News, which was published... Nothing. I hope they are in the process of figuring out what to do to remedy what is clearly a mistake (just refer to the renderings). No one in their right mind would spend that kind of money on a unnecessary spire (it's not an antennae) and not light it. I'm thinking of sending a letter to the Chairman of Korean Airlines.
     
     
  #4046  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:50 PM
Zerton's Avatar
Zerton Zerton is offline
Ω
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,844
What's wrong with the spire lighting?
__________________
If all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth. -Orwell
     
     
  #4047  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:45 AM
Just-In-Cali's Avatar
Just-In-Cali Just-In-Cali is offline
Urbanite in Suburbia
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles Metro
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
What's wrong with the spire lighting?
Sadly, for all the detail and amazing lighting put into the crown and spines...the spire was value engineered down to a couple of floodlights that dont light more than the first segment. The original design for the spire...if you look at the renders...showed holes drilled into the spire all the way down in lines...similar to the beacon segment on top. Something changed...either cost...or structural stability or something...and they added a couple of floodlights and hoped it would suffice. It doesnt.
Its the single thing i truly dont like on the tower. If they fixed it...Id say it was damned near flawless to me. More interesting than Salesforce...and not a huge glass slab of meh like Comcast's monster in Philly.
__________________
Blue State Heaven
     
     
  #4048  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:34 AM
Blesha13 Blesha13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90026
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Sadly, for all the detail and amazing lighting put into the crown and spines...the spire was value engineered down to a couple of floodlights that dont light more than the first segment. The original design for the spire...if you look at the renders...showed holes drilled into the spire all the way down in lines...similar to the beacon segment on top. Something changed...either cost...or structural stability or something...and they added a couple of floodlights and hoped it would suffice. It doesnt.
Its the single thing i truly dont like on the tower. If they fixed it...Id say it was damned near flawless to me. More interesting than Salesforce...and not a huge glass slab of meh like Comcast's monster in Philly.
If only it was easy for them to install floodlights on the remaining segments that lack them.
__________________
GO DODGERS! GO LAKERS!
     
     
  #4049  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:07 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
If only it was easy for them to install floodlights on the remaining segments that lack them.
Well I read somewhere and saw a pic on this website that workers can climb to the top of the spire via a ladder inside (spire is a hollow tube a few feet across) presumably to service the beacon. Not sure if the workers have access to the outside of the spire to install more lighting. LED series shouldn't add much weight, so weight can't be the reason. Would be a pity if they couldn't light the spire better. What is the point of a poorly lit spire? The only other possibility is to add some floodlights (multi-colored) to the crown and point them at the spire to light it better at night. Would be cool if the spire (and crown?) were lit up green for St. Pat's Day, orange for Halloween, etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 25, 2017 at 5:33 AM.
     
     
  #4050  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:25 PM
Eightball's Avatar
Eightball Eightball is offline
life is good
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Historic Core
Posts: 2,180
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Wilshire Grand by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by robb, on Flickr

dtla by robb, on Flickr

dtla Wilshire Grand by robb, on Flickr
     
     
  #4051  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:06 PM
tanzirian tanzirian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 140
     
     
  #4052  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:27 AM
donnie's Avatar
donnie donnie is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Sadly, for all the detail and amazing lighting put into the crown and spines...the spire was value engineered down to a couple of floodlights that dont light more than the first segment. The original design for the spire...if you look at the renders...showed holes drilled into the spire all the way down in lines...similar to the beacon segment on top. Something changed...either cost...or structural stability or something...and they added a couple of floodlights and hoped it would suffice. It doesnt.
Its the single thing i truly dont like on the tower. If they fixed it...Id say it was damned near flawless to me. More interesting than Salesforce...and not a huge glass slab of meh like Comcast's monster in Philly.
Oh snap shots fired!

Good thing i live in the Chi!
     
     
  #4053  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 10:56 AM
JMKeynes's Avatar
JMKeynes JMKeynes is online now
In the long run...
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SW3
Posts: 376
Very nice!
     
     
  #4054  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 1:34 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 36,215
Hadn't looked in on this one in a while...


RobHelfman









Rob "Shawdog" Helfman





STERLINGDAVIS





HunterKerhart.com

__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #4055  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:21 PM
cesar90 cesar90 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 411
     
     
  #4056  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:54 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Sadly, for all the detail and amazing lighting put into the crown and spines...the spire was value engineered down to a couple of floodlights that dont light more than the first segment. The original design for the spire...if you look at the renders...showed holes drilled into the spire all the way down in lines...similar to the beacon segment on top. Something changed...either cost...or structural stability or something...and they added a couple of floodlights and hoped it would suffice. It doesnt.
Its the single thing i truly dont like on the tower. If they fixed it...Id say it was damned near flawless to me. More interesting than Salesforce...and not a huge glass slab of meh like Comcast's monster in Philly.
Despite being from Philadelphia, I must admit that for me, Wilshire is the sexiest of the three buildings you mentioned. Just really well done - I had my doubts about the spire but even that turned out really well. Congrats!
__________________
#free1487
     
     
  #4057  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:27 AM
sterlippo1 sterlippo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Despite being from Philadelphia, I must admit that for me, Wilshire is the sexiest of the three buildings you mentioned. Just really well done - I had my doubts about the spire but even that turned out really well. Congrats!
Salesforce is best of the three IMO but i agree with you on the spire, plus, LA needed one of those in it's skyline. Nice fit for LA too, nice building.
     
     
  #4058  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:47 AM
Prezrezc Prezrezc is online now
A.F.K.A. JayPro
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Huntington, Long Island, New York
Posts: 518
My one critique of this spire is that they could more or less swap it with theon atop the Times Tower in NYC and maybe a few would have even noticed (This one's taller I think).

In both instances, something "meatier"...or at least with one eye-catching feature would have helped.
     
     
  #4059  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:33 AM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Skyscraper Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
My one critique of this spire is that they could more or less swap it with theon atop the Times Tower in NYC and maybe a few would have even noticed (This one's taller I think).

In both instances, something "meatier"...or at least with one eye-catching feature would have helped.
Well the Angels Landing development might turn out this way.
__________________
Revelation 21:4
     
     
  #4060  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:40 AM
gramsjdg's Avatar
gramsjdg gramsjdg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 565
Aon Center is still my favorite.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.