HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
no one cares about your feelings - this is a forum to discuss Pittburgh architecture, development and urban planning
What the hell is your problem?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Whoever was taking a ganja break at the city planning department has finally updated the zoning minutes.
super progressive! I love this town

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I wonder if these kinds of behaviors on Pittsburgh's side of things are a detriment to our pitch? Looking like a desperate bride.
Obviously a big part of their strategy was to generate precisely this kind of response. So I would hope not, and instead it will really come down to the best fit for what they truly want.

But you never know--I've learned over time that a lot of business decisions you would think should be made in a very rational, deliberative, fact-driven way are instead made by someone's gut instinct. Still, a generic insight like that doesn't help, because maybe a little desperation is what they want (say because this is not the last time they will be asking for some special attention even after they decide).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
What the hell is your problem?
Seriously....Only the second post that guy has made in over a year and a half and this is what it is...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVC View Post
no one cares about your feelings - this is a forum to discuss Pittburgh architecture, development and urban planning
No one cares about your feelings regarding his feelings.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:47 AM

Last edited by themaguffin; Oct 15, 2017 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:27 AM

Behind a paywall, but Fourth River has gotten development rights to the former Broadhead Manor site:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...ce-to-buy.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:07 PM

Did y'all already forget that JVC is a troll? Move along...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:00 PM

Almono has been renamed to "Hazelwood Green." I'm not a fan. There's some information in the article about construction (to start "next year") but few details.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:16 PM

The new Bloomfield-Garfield bulletin has some information about the planned "Garfield Highlands" low-income project. It's 20 units of single-family homes which will be built on scattered sites I've highlighted on this map. At press time the plan was very preliminary, but given the URA chose it as one of the sites to be eligible for state tax credits it will likely be nailed down more concretely soon.

There's also an editorial at the end about Penn Plaza. I don't agree with the editorial completely. it argues in favor of restoring the original street grid (which I like) and subdividing the old site back into 50 separate lots for single-family houses (which is ridiculous, because even if they were built for that purpose, 90% of the nearby houses have been subdivided into small apartment buildings now. I'm highlighting the editorial mostly because of the editor's note that "(a)n announcement on a possible settlement was imminent as of press time."

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Almono has been renamed to "Hazelwood Green." I'm not a fan. There's some information in the article about construction (to start "next year") but few details.
They're not the boss of me!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
There's also an editorial at the end about Penn Plaza. I don't agree with the editorial completely. it argues in favor of restoring the original street grid (which I like) and subdividing the old site back into 50 separate lots for single-family houses (which is ridiculous, because even if they were built for that purpose, 90% of the nearby houses have been subdivided into small apartment buildings now. I'm highlighting the editorial mostly because of the editor's note that "(a)n announcement on a possible settlement was imminent as of press time."
That would be doing affordable housing in the City no favors.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a golf course or suburban housing development.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:44 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

There is a party tomorrow evening (Saturday evening) on the new Greenfield bridge if anyone is interested before they open it to traffic the next day for the first time. Apparently there will me some 1920's cars in a parade as well, the same year and model of cars that paraded across the bridge when it opened in the '20's. An old friend of mine who runs the company Luxe Creative is doing the lightning; His work is always amazing. It should be a really interesting, unique event. I think I am going.

Info: http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Be...nfield-Bridge/

List of the full day of festivities: http://gcapgh.org/

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:15 PM
Ex Houstonian

I'm really glad they put some architectural merit into this bridge and didn't just make it another non descript cement POS and the reopening will sure make it a lot easier to bike to that side of the city again.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 5:31 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I'm really glad they put some architectural merit into this bridge and didn't just make it another non descript cement POS and the reopening will sure make it a lot easier to bike to that side of the city again.
I know, right?

I love how it is actually green in color. Also it is modern but pays tribute to it's predecessor.

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 4:05 PM

The old Greenfield Bridge was the first piece of infrastructure that I paid attention to back when I was a kid. My Lego bridge building self was amazed that netting and a deck over the parkway was the "fix". I would always look up to see if I could see concrete falling off.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
The old Greenfield Bridge was the first piece of infrastructure that I paid attention to back when I was a kid. My Lego bridge building self was amazed that netting and a deck over the parkway was the "fix". I would always look up to see if I could see concrete falling off.
That became a well known example of how messed up our infrastructure is, being featured on 60 Minutes and a John Oliver segment about infrastructure.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:25 PM

This sounds right to me:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...or-amazon.html

Quote:
Austin, Texas, is the best site for Amazon Inc.’s second headquarters, while Pittsburgh ranks No. 5, according to a new report by Moody’s Analytics.

The study used Amazon’s (Nasdaq:AMZN) stated preferences and Moody’s understanding of relevant economic factors. Moody’s ranked regions based on five broad categories: business environment, human capital, cost, quality of life and transportation.

But if a sixth, geography, is included, Philadelphia would rank first and Pittsburgh second.
Austin is the main place that ticks off Amazon's boxes but doesn't have super-high costs. Their second choice, Atlanta, also has obvious appeal. But if Amazon specifically wants a Northeast location, as it might, then we have a real shot.

Actual study:

https://www.economy.com/dismal/analy...ers-Should-Go/

They do narratives on the top cities here:

https://www.economy.com/dismal/analy...ns-Top-Cities/

Quote:
Pittsburgh is a metro area with one foot in the post-industrial Midwest, and another foot in the Northeast Corridor. In the last decade it has suffered from the loss of blue-collar manufacturing jobs, which reflects its industrial roots and has weighed on population growth, payrolls and house prices.

However, the metro area is also a burgeoning tech hub thanks to the presence of its leading universities, including Carnegie Mellon. While somewhat under the radar, Pittsburgh has already been growing as a destination for tech companies. Uber recently launched its autonomous vehicle research institute in Pittsburgh, which it staffed with Carnegie Mellon engineers and scientists, and Amazon is already expanding its footprint in the city. Like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh combines high human capital with low costs and close proximity to the Northeast Corridor. When the geographic scores are added, this brings Pittsburgh to second place, and not without some justification. Nor does Pittsburgh lack for desirable locations that could accommodate Amazon, including the Almono development, a 178-acre former industrial site.

The metro area is not without downsides, however, including state and local fiscal problems. In addition, compared with some other large metro areas, Pittsburgh may struggle to attract 50,000 new workers, as decades of declining population attest.
Again, sounds about right to me. I do think we could attract (and house) the necessary workers, but that's probably the biggest issue to overcome (the fact the size of the local tech scene is still a little small in comparison to the other top contenders, and hence we'd have to grown into that role).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:54 PM

Ticks off all of the boxes? The first that comes to mind with Austin isn't tech etc. It's has no fucking transit.

I love how all of these sites just fucking ignore the RFP.

Also, Amazon should also get statements from state reps. Ask for a statement from the majority leader of each states' legislature on how discrimination laws.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations