HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:22 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
He is remembered very fondly in my circles. My mother told me that growing up in Yugoslavia in the 1970s all they knew about Canada was Trudeau. He was a larger than life statesman.

He had the right idea. Canada should've been bilingual coast to coast. Knowing more than one language makes us richer in the long run. I never understood people who take pride in only speaking English. Makes you kinda hick IMO.
Ah, the dream. But it was precisely that - just a dream.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I liked the sudden and abrupt vote of no confidence in the US' Middle Eastern plans. The plans are crazed. My big concern with Trudeau is that he is a dynastic PM, and dynasties are a bad sign in democracies.
Come back to us on "dynasties" when Xavier Trudeau becomes Prime Minister.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Oct 22, 2015 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Does anyone honestly think it was a good move to broach the subject of military action during the phone call with Obama less than 24 hours after being elected?

Wouldn't it have at least been more prudent to be fully briefed on the security mission and details as Prime Minister and consider the next course of action very carefully in the official leadership position?

This isn't a game.
I do. What would be the point of delaying when he's just fulfilling a campaign promise that was supported by the voters? It's not like Obama didn't know it was coming. Sometimes what you see is what you get - it is going to take some of us a while to realize that "Harper-style" was an aberration, not the Canadian norm.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
He is remembered very fondly in my circles. My mother told me that growing up in Yugoslavia in the 1970s all they knew about Canada was Trudeau. He was a larger than life statesman.

He had the right idea. Canada should've been bilingual coast to coast. Knowing more than one language makes us richer in the long run. I never understood people who take pride in only speaking English. Makes you kinda hick IMO.
That was never PET's position.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Wow, bitter?

The Harper thread came after what, 5, 6 years of them being in power? This is just a reactionary "if you guys can do it then so can I" bit of resentment coming before this guy has even been sworn in.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:52 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That was never PET's position.
Reality prevented him from making that his position. But as someone with a strong cult of personality he would have relished the thought if it had been at all possible.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Since we had to endure a Stephen Harper BS thread for years I'm inclined to return the favour. Trudeau hasn't even been sworn in yet & he is already doing exactly what he chastised Harper for doing so many times before, rule from the top down.

I spoke with a member of our military tonight & asked him if Canada has ever abandoned our allies in the middle of a military operation before. He's said this is the first time to his knowledge, & that's it's incredible saddening that Canada threw in the towel in the fight against a faction that conducts the worst atrocities imaginable.

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/10/21/t...esnt-bode-well

It'll be interesting to see if Trudeau mentions Cpl Nathan Cirillo later today.
Congratulations on your patience. Especially given that we had to endure a Justin Trudeau administration for...zero days.

I am also impressed with the fantastic quality of the media you are drawing from. This is extraordinarily persuasive. If only I could turn back time to Monday evening and cast my vote for Harper.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:57 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:

As an anglo-influenced bilingual French Canadian kid growing up on the outer fringes of Canada's bilingual belt, I idolized Trudeau in my youth.

When I got older and started to study politics a lot the shine started to come off.

He was brilliant for sure but more of a dilettante than someone who loved as Canada passionately as many people think he did.

He defended Canada (the federal state) passionately for sure but I think it was mostly because it was his chosen ''theatre of operations" and he needed it to survive as a public figure (both present and future).

Much like Sidney Crosby loves the NHL because that's where he plays hockey.

Sorry if that sounds cynical. I have other examples of why I think Trudeau was like this.

Forca Portugal! :)

Stupid thread! Trolls !! Just because your party wasn't elected don't have to start bashing Trudeau .... I agree with our military out of Syria ...period. It's enough war. Let the Americans handle it. They love war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Reality prevented him from making that his position. But as someone with a strong cult of personality he would have relished the thought if it had been at all possible.
As would we all (well, the sane ones anyway!). As always, there's that strange confusion among many Canadians about official bilingualism vs functional bilingualism at the individual level.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Congratulations on your patience. Especially given that we had to endure a Justin Trudeau administration for...zero days.

I am also impressed with the fantastic quality of the media you are drawing from. This is extraordinarily persuasive. If only I could turn back time to Monday evening and cast my vote for Harper.
Actually since his administration doesn't technically start until November 4th I believe, we have endured his administration for negative 14 days.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:09 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Still with Trudeau Sr. vs. Trudeau Jr., my sense is that Trudeau Jr. probably loves Canada and the Canadian people more genuinely (and is more in tune with them) than Trudeau Sr. did.

I don't want to be too harsh on Trudeau Sr. He was a pretty good PM overall and certainly left his mark on the country in many positive ways. We're very much living in PET's Canada today. In many ways this is a good thing.

But he was very much a Machiavellian Prince type of leader. He was no Evita or Pope Francis.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still with Trudeau Sr. vs. Trudeau Jr., my sense is that Trudeau Jr. probably loves Canada and the Canadian people more genuinely (and is more in tune with them) than Trudeau Sr. did.

I don't want to be too harsh on Trudeau Sr. He was a pretty good PM overall and certainly left his mark on the country in many positive ways. We're very much living in PET's Canada today. In many ways this is a good thing.

But he was very much a Machiavellian Prince type of leader. He was no Evita or Pope Francis.
Well said. I've been a Conservative voter my whole voting life (not long I might add), but I've become distant from Harper's style of governance and his vision for Canada.

Trudeau strikes me as someone who genuinely wants to change the country for the better. I've accepted his vision, I just hope he doesn't disappoint too much.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Well said. I've been a Conservative voter my whole voting life (not long I might add), but I've become distant from Harper's style of governance and his vision for Canada.

Trudeau strikes me as someone who genuinely wants to change the country for the better. I've accepted his vision, I just hope he doesn't disappoint too much.
Reminds me of how so many Canadians, when you greet them with "How are you today", will respond "Not too bad, thanks".

Sunny ways, people, sunny ways. Have confidence in Trudeau. And the next time someone asks you how you are, try "Fine, thanks".

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Reminds me of how so many Canadians, when you greet them with "How are you today", will respond "Not too bad, thanks".

Sunny ways, people, sunny ways. Have confidence in Trudeau. And the next time someone asks you how you are, try "Fine, thanks".
Canadians are very non-committal in their responses. I find it hilarious.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:28 PM
Insertoronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
Stupid thread! Trolls !! Just because your party wasn't elected don't have to start bashing Trudeau .... I agree with our military out of Syria ...period. It's enough war. Let the Americans handle it. They love war.
I voted for the Liberals.. But what exactly was the Stephen Harper BS Thread then? Is it different because it was a party you didn't support? We had a PM bashing thread then, why not now?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
It didn't take long for one of my biggest fears to be realized. Trudeau is reckless, immature, & irresponsible.
What am I missing here? Canadians expected him to pull out of Syria as it is one of the defining points of his platform. It is in no small part one of the reasons why Canadians gave him a majority government. Democracy has spoken. The only thing I'm shocked about is how swiftly he is moving along with fulfilling campaign promises.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:48 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Of course, you can totally judge a prime minister's mandate 3 days after he was elected...
That's exactly the point. He hasn't been sworn in. He doesn't even have a Minister of Defence & he's already making rash decisions about the military operation without consultation of the armed forces. One of Trudeau's criticisms of Harper was that he wasn't transparent & made decisions without consultations of various branches of govt. Trudeau told Obama we are throwing in the towel & he is still 2 weeks away from being PM.

Last edited by Migs; Oct 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:50 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
What am I missing here? Canadians expected him to pull out of Syria as it is one of the defining points of his platform. It is in no small part one of the reasons why Canadians gave him a majority government. Democracy has spoken. The only thing I'm shocked about is how swiftly he is moving along with fulfilling campaign promises.
You didn't read the column did you? Withdrawing from a military operation consists of more than just flying the jets home.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
That's exactly the point. He hasn't been sworn in. He doesn't even have a Minister of Defence & he's already making rash decisions about the military operation without consultation of the armed forces.
Personally I don't want my tax dollars wasted on another of America's foreign policy misadventures.

We have allies, but being allied with someone doesn't mean you have to follow their reckless decisions blindly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada