HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 1:26 AM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Calgary companies brace for Stampede

Calgary companies brace for Stampede
Mantra of 'drink triple, see double and think single' coming under increased scrutiny

Jon Harding
Financial Post

Thursday, July 05, 2007

As Calgary's 10-day, booze-fuelled Stampede bash kicks off Friday, the mantra quietly embraced by corporate Calgary to "drink triple, see double and think single" is coming under increasing scrutiny.

Along with being a salute to Western cowboy heritage, the Calgary Stampede has blossomed into a business networking free-for-all involving scores of parties where liquor and morals flow freely.

The party has become such a unique part of cash-loaded Calgary's fabric that employers tend to look the other way as entire departments leave at midday for a romp at the bars, show up hungover after a night of two-stepping, or even start the day off drinking tequila at one of the notorious breakfast booze-ups.

The result is that divorce-law firms are in big demand after the Stampede ends and, moreover, it's common knowledge that sexual assault reports spike during the festival.

But some believe the corporate revelry is getting out of hand, highjacking the event and promoting behaviour that puts employees in awkward situations.

Widely criticized was a promotion by a city boutique, Hotel Arts, that offered guests the chance to check in their wedding ring at the door and airbrush away any tan line. The hotel later issued an apology, claiming the promotion was meant as a publicity stunt.

A marker of the emerging discomfort is the recent workshop organized for the first time by the Sheldon Chumir Foundation for Ethics in Leadership, a Calgary-based group that promotes ethics in business and government.

In the session for corporate executives to draw attention to the deterioration in Stampede behaviour, the foundation highlighted true scenarios where employees were pressured into situations that would not have been acceptable or could have resulted in legal ramifications outside of Stampede.

They ranged from a rookie engineer at an oil company who was encouraged by his employer to attend a client's party where waitresses were topless, to an articling law student who was humiliated and embarrassed when encouraged to try a "booby shot" in which she had to drink from a glass placed between a waitress's breasts.

"If you think your fate in this firm or company is tied to whether you accept an invitation or how you behave at an event, we're into something that is a lot more serious than what people would chose to do in their own time," said Janet Keeping, president of the foundation.

"The threat through both examples that really speaks to management ethics is that neither one knew what the repercussions would be. In the case of the young woman, no one from management stepped in to help or said You don't have to do this.' Another question for the host company is what does this kind of party say about your firm."

The event attracted only 25 people -- a measure of Calgarians' reluctance to be seen as party poopers.

Officially, companies promote good behaviour. Petro-Canada sponsors Family Day at the Stampede Grounds to encourage family values, while EnCana Corp. expects its employees to abide by its code of conduct.

"Sure, everybody knows that in a festival atmosphere, behaviours become festive," said EnCana spokesman Alan Boras. "We have guidelines with respect to behavioral matters and codes of conduct that are ongoing and have been in place for a long time. There is nothing seasonal about them."

Steve Allan, a Stampede executive for more than 30 years, said the organizing committee is aware of the discrepancy between policies and realities, and plans are in the works to remind corporate Calgary this fall that the fair is about upholding cowboy values, like honesty, integrity and friendliness.

He noted that the committee is protective of maintaining the Stampede's more wholesome image.

Part of the blame rests with the city's explosive growth, which has resulted in a proliferation of functions, he said.

"We have been known as the city where a person takes the time to speak to a stranger on the street, and that sort of thing," he said. "Are we losing sight of who we are? I don't think so, but we need to keep talking about it. I was disappointed with the ring gimmick. That was over the edge. Let's have fun, but be responsible. Use common sense and judgment."

(With files from Claudia Cattaneo, Financial Post)
© Financial Post 2007

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 1:36 AM
Kid Dynamic!

Thanks for the article.....can't read it now as I'm on my way out for some early Stampede boozing mixed in with some questionable conduct! Sure to be hung like a dog tomorrow at work! Will try to read the article tomorrow. STAMPEDE BABY!!!!!

Last edited by The Kid; Jul 6, 2007 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 1:56 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Marriages are a sham anyway, and any couple that is seeing a divorce lawyer as a result of Stampede - folks, it was going to happen sooner or later anyway.

It's 10 bloody days! Don't get married if you're going to be zero tolerance towards each other.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 2:43 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Thanks for the article.....can't read it now as I'm on my way out for some early Stampede boozing mixed in with some questionable conduct! Sure to be hung like a dog tomorrow at work! Will try to read the article tomorrow. STAMPEDE BABY!!!!!
Hmm that sounds rather unfortunate...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 2:49 AM
Inflatable Hippo

some friends of mine from California are in town for the Stampede, they want to goto Cowboys because that is where Price Harry got in trouble, so that should be a "interesting", I am going along with it because I just know it will disgust them. We should be out in under half an hour.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 2:49 AM
Kid Dynamic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Hmm that sounds rather unfortunate...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 2:54 AM
Kid Dynamic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
some friends of mine from California are in town for the Stampede, they want to goto Cowboys because that is where Price Harry got in trouble, so that should be a "interesting", I am going along with it because I just know it will disgust them. We should be out in under half an hour.
Ya, last year we had several friends in from Vancouver that just had to get into the Cowboys beer tent. Paid 50 bucks a head to avoid the line and almost barfed as soon as we were in. The whole place smelled of piss and shit and we split within 30 minutes. It was really digusting, atleast the night we were there.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 5:30 AM

The bullshooters breakfast ("notorious breakfast booze-ups") is how I got initiated into the Stampede Culture when I first moved here (by choice, of course...not as the article describes some "situations"). It was very interesting - orange and vodka at 7am with a full buffet, alongside fellow colleagues/execs, and higher-up customers (VPs, GMs, etc). Kind of strange, but it was definitely fun.

I'm not sure about all of what the article describes as being out of hand - as these parties etc have happened for years (and aside from 10 days, is it really that much worse than some Xmas parties?)...I know several execs that will fly out for Stampede for these schmoozing/networking parties. Some may be out of control, but I think the story is still talking of exceptions.

I agree with Freeweed, and I think it was only meant in fun...if your marriage breaks-up because of Stampede, it was likely heading that way (or you married at 19 years old )

Is Jon Harding from Calgary? It sounds like they're either jealous no one invited them, or they just are too uptight. Trust me, the "entire dept leaving at midday" generally makes up the missed hours after - at least in my line of work.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 5:41 AM
Editor

My company is pretty good about the Stampede, all employees get parade morning off, and one afternoon off any day during the Stampede. I've got 4 Stampede functions to attend this year, so I probably won't be work much at all next week.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 5:49 AM

The University gives everyone a half day off during stampede, a lot of people take parade day off as well. We had our pancake breakfast this morning (although I didn't go), but seeing as its the university I doubt much interesting happened (aside from the reports of the president burning the pancakes).

I'm taking the afternoon off tomorrow, got tickets for the rodeo plus lunch in the new restaurant in the grandstand. Plus my sister won tickets to the acoustic performance that Finger Eleven is putting on tomorrow afternoon and wants to see their performance that night as well, so I may splurge on tickets for the chucks and show as well.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 5:50 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Trust me, the "entire dept leaving at midday" generally makes up the missed hours after - at least in my line of work.
It certainly happens, but I think Stampede is a reflection of how hard a lot of people work otherwise. I think Calgary's reputation of a city of people working 80 hours a week and rushrushrush is a bit overstated, but a lot of the hard-partying Stampeders (other than the requisite 19 year olds) tend to be execs and the types who often work till 9pm every night.

The cowboy theme aside, I think it's something every city needs - a good week to just blow off steam, do some business schmoozing, and otherwise relax. What exactly is wrong with that??

Even for those that don't waste the entire week drunk, it's still got its perks. Casual day for a week. Breakfasts every day downtown, and your boss doesn't mind if you go to 2 or 5. It's just a nice break from the usual 12 month work cycle.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 6:06 AM

^I agree. I'll be getting alot of time off work during Stampede, to attend various events, and in the end it makes up for the long hours I put in sometimes.

One of my events is a golf tournament out at Glencoe. Really looking forward to that one, last year's was a good drunk up

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 6:16 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Disneyland isn't clean enough for this guys wife...

Usually if I had to choose between Cowboys and a bullet in the head, I would take the lead, but this I just have to see.

Quote:
Ya, last year we had several friends in from Vancouver that just had to get into the Cowboys beer tent. Paid 50 bucks a head to avoid the line and almost barfed as soon as we were in. The whole place smelled of piss and shit and we split within 30 minutes. It was really digusting, atleast the night we were there.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 12:04 PM

Yeah, our company party is at Cowboys. 4 drink tickets. pffft. I'll stay for 20 minutes, slam all four, say hello, and get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible.

Fuck the Stampede.

It's like Mardi Gras for rednecks.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 1:35 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
FANSTASTIC! Made me laugh this morning!

I hit up my first business function last night at the Ranchmans, at least that place is more 'authentic' than Cowboys or Outlaws as far as Western bars go. Had a good time, some free drinks and a great free meal.

However I feel I'm like a lot of the 'overlooked' Calgarians that doesn't work in the core, doesn't get any time off for the parade, or to attend breakfasts and countless drunkups during the day. We are the masses that drive away from the core in the morning heading towards the industrial parks. We are the people that fix your cars, make your products, and in my case sell wood. We toil away during the day while you downtowners eat and booze it up, I'm soooooo jealous of you all during Stampede!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 3:10 PM
Reach for the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Yeah, our company party is at Cowboys. 4 drink tickets. pffft. I'll stay for 20 minutes, slam all four, say hello, and get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible.

Fuck the Stampede.

C'mon the vast majority of people celebrating the Stampede aren't rednecks or country folk or whatever, it's just a party. People do get slammed and out of control a bit but what's the harm, it's only one week of the year.

A few years back I went to a stampede party at Cowboys put on by a vendor, and Cowboys was packed full of techie nerds pounding shooters, it was one of the most fun times I've had.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post

Fuck the Stampede.

hahaha awesome

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
C'mon the vast majority of people celebrating the Stampede aren't rednecks or country folk or whatever, it's just a party. People do get slammed and out of control a bit but what's the harm, it's only one week of the year.
There's no harm. It's just lame. Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt, ate the shitty pancakes.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 4:38 PM

^Sorry dude...you gotta be in a pretty sorry state to not have fun during the Stampede - whether you're boozing it up, or taking in one of the largest rodeos (and the largest chuckwagon) events in the world.

Even if you don't want to attend because you've "been there, done that", you have to appreciate that you have had fun in the past - and The Legend Continues...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^Sorry dude...you gotta be in a pretty sorry state to not have fun during the Stampede - whether you're boozing it up, or taking in one of the largest rodeos (and the largest chuckwagon) events in the world.

Even if you don't want to attend because you've "been there, done that", you have to appreciate that you have had fun in the past - and The Legend Continues...
Buddy, I have fun every day. I don't need to put on a stupid looking hat or attend a parade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy