HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Today, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I'm too young to really understand it but how exactly did Confederation of Regions get so popular in 1990?
Never heard of it.

Old Posted Today, 1:15 AM
Trudeaupeopleiac

Old Posted Today, 1:22 AM

Well this is a bit of a surprise - if Romano is liked by trade unionists, could that make a difference?

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...51-prez-934848

Old Posted Today, 1:29 AM

I live in York Centre. I'm basically trying to block Doug Ford, but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should vote NDP or Liberal. Some armchair theorists on other sites have posited that my riding is a 3-way race. One person commented that the NDP candidate (I'd be inclined to vote NDP) is charismatic, but I have not seen her presence anywhere - not on lawn signs, nor even in my junk mail. Monte Kwinter (Liberal) held this riding for years, although my riding is heavily Jewish and the only Jewish candidate this time around is the PC one. The latest anti-semitic kerfuffle out of that NDP candidate in Mississauga probably won't help here.

Old Posted Today, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The far-right people are more interested in helping their own (often wealthy business people) and were trying everything to take control of the party.
The Right and the Far-Right
I'm nervous about this label. We've worked very hard to eliminate far-right politics from the mainstream and, as a result, there's little to no organised fascist movement in this country currently. I mean, it really doesn't exist. There are racists, yes, of course, but I don't believe there are enough that it should keep us up at night.

Now, I don't know much about Andrew Lawton. He certainly seems to have that inclination, so it's really important Ontarians snuff that out asap. It could also be that he's just a mentally ill a$$hole.

Ford? I don't think he's far-right, is he? He's just a boob. A bully. A bull$hitter. Is he attractive to a certain unpleasant element of society? He seems to be, yes. If he pulls out the racist dog whistle then okay, you've got a point. If that's happened then I missed it, sorry.

And Corporatism, which I believe is what you're referring to above, is not a calling card of the right. Liberals (and Democrats) are exceptionally skilled at lining the pockets of their Bay Street/ Wall Street pals as well.

The Right is characterised by a few central tenets:
*tradition/ religion
*borders/ property rights
*social and economic stability

The Far-Right would likely share many of those beliefs but would add ethnic/ racial superiority and authoritarianism to the mix.

My point is that we should reserve that label for those who truly represent those values, so that when they do arrive on the scene, we can identify them and expose them as the deplorable types they are.

Old Posted Today, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I was predicting an NDP government and though I still think they have a good chance, i'm not so sure anymore.
Ford will become Premier of Ontario and after several years, with help from vote-rich Ontario, become Prime Minister replacing Trudeau.

Can't you see the pattern?

America elected Kennedy (Left), several years later we elected Trudeau Sr (Left).
Reagan (Right) -> Mulroney (Right)
Clinton (L) -> Chretien (L)
Bush (R) -> Harper (R)
Obama (L) -> Trudeau (L)
Trump (R) -> Ford (R)?

So yeah Canada, be ready for Prime Minister Ford if Ontarians decide to pick him this election.

J/K

Old Posted Today, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I live in York Centre. I'm basically trying to block Doug Ford, but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should vote NDP or Liberal.
That's a very difficult call. It seems like there are several outer Toronto ridings that will almost certainly go PC just because of vote-splitting, unless the Liberal vote completely evaporates and that vote all goes NDP.

York Centre seems like a riding where the NDP could win if they're well ahead and headed for a sizable majority.

Old Posted Today, 2:49 AM

Also, the Liberals have apparently nominated a very prominent figure in the Filipino community to run in York Centre. That riding has, I believe, the largest Filipino population in the province. There has never been a Filipino MPP elected to Queen's Park - though unfortunately for him he picked a bad year to run for the Liberals!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario