HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Are malls still popular for teenagers and youth to hang out in?

A lot has been talked about in terms of how there's a sharp decline in the "mall rat" stereotype of kids loitering in malls since the 80s and 90s, but a lot of that I see is in American media. Seniors and families with kids still hang out at malls too, especially when temperatures are cold outside. I think Canada's climate helps keep some of the "mall culture" still around.

But then again, people walking around without buying anything or hanging out there for the sake of having a local hangout spot doesn't really help malls stay afloat.
1000 teens just swarmed a mall in new jersey on december 27 and started fighting, it looked pretty crazy on the videos posted on twitter

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
1000 teens just swarmed a mall in new jersey on december 27 and started fighting, it looked pretty crazy on the videos posted on twitter
Of course it was in New Jersey.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
My parents live in Cobourg and mentioned this. They don't have a lot of hope for the Cobourg Mall long term.
No yeah it's pretty bad. Everyone goes to the Oshawa Centre and to a lesser extent the malls in Peterborough and Belleville.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:18 AM

Lethbridge (Alberta) of the 1980s had two downtown indoor malls and one suburban indoor mall. The suburban one has since been transformed into a rather busy outdoor power centre, and one of the downtown malls (Lethbridge Centre) has been largely transformed into an office complex, but the Hudson Bay store has stayed on, along with, literally, a handful of small shops. The other downtown mall (Park Place Mall) bookends the shops in the downtown area. That’s the “go to” mall with Sears as its main anchor. It also had an Eatons at one time but it has since been remodeled to accomodate medium sized box retailers.

As I mentioned above, Lethbridge Centre, has lost most of its shops to offices and I don’t think it’s that busy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hudson Bay relocates to the former Sears location, which would be a huge blow to Lethbridge Centre! When Lethbridge Centre was originally built, there were plans for an office tower (on the east end, which did get built) and a residential tower (on the west end, adjacent to the Hudson Bay, but never did get built). There’s lots of recently built retirement condos in the downtown area which could support a grocery store, which doesn’t exist downtown. That store could find a home either in the former Sears or Hudson Bay spaces. Perhaps a grocery store and an on-site condo tower will help revitalize Lethbridge Centre!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Cobourg location is now Hart which I believe is Quebec based.
Wow didn't realize that Hart has a new logo. I've been to Hart stores in Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Sudbury and some in Quebec. (Rouyn-Noranda, La Sarre, Amos, etc.) There are many locations in Quebec.

That is a chain of stores that could potentially grow much more. I've noticed now that there are a number of locations in Southern Ontario as well as a few in New Brunswick. Hart could become the next Zellers/Target but with few departments.

Another similar chain which is also Quebec-based is Rossy. There is only one location in Ontario (Greater Sudbury) but many in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.

I also put Giant Tiger (based in Ottawa) into the same category as Hart and Rossy although I'd say that GT has become very boring compared to the two others and could be in trouble in the near future. Rossy and Hart tend to focus more on style and trends rather than simply being a discount store.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a merger between any of the three store chains I mentioned above.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

5 years on, and Bari is still reeling from their shopping mall crisis.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:41 AM

Considering how so many cities are still building schools, colleges, government offices, libraries and the like you would think a lot of these malls could be bought by cities/provinces/Ottawa for future needs and save a lot of money not having to build from scratch. These malls are often quite cheap when considering the land and buildings so you would think they could be reimagined.

This has been done very successfully in downtown malls that were devastated by the collapse of Eaton's years ago. London started that trend nationally by making, at the time, a very bold decision of moving the entire downtown library over to the dying mall.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Are malls still popular for teenagers and youth to hang out in?

A lot has been talked about in terms of how there's a sharp decline in the "mall rat" stereotype of kids loitering in malls since the 80s and 90s, but a lot of that I see is in American media. Seniors and families with kids still hang out at malls too, especially when temperatures are cold outside. I think Canada's climate helps keep some of the "mall culture" still around.

But then again, people walking around without buying anything or hanging out there for the sake of having a local hangout spot doesn't really help malls stay afloat.
Definitely still popular with kiddos. I mean, that's coming from Edmonton, where the mall has a quasi-mythological status, but I notice it in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, and Halifax. I'm not sure what happens in cities like Fort Mac or Grande Prairie, though.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 11:00 AM

you can't get a seat at the starbucks in the lougheed town centre mall most of the time because of immigrant men in their 50's, most of them seem to be Iranian, they hang out there all day well anytime of day I go past there the same type of men are there.

anyway something i have noticed a lot of in the last year in th eVancouver area is the amount of older men working in retail. Walmart has a lot of men in their 50's or 60's working, as do places like shoppers drug mart, london drugs, etc. I haven't noticed it as much in smaller places up north. The walmart in ft st john is about 95% staffed by young east indians, same with the walmart in peace river, large majority of staff there is now young east indians. But down here in the city a lot of older men are working in retail, they all seem to be recent immigrants too, Koreans, Iranians etc. They seem to be replacing the college age staff you used to see working retail.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
you can't get a seat at the starbucks in the lougheed town centre mall most of the time because of immigrant men in their 50's, most of them seem to be Iranian, they hang out there all day well anytime of day I go past there the same type of men are there.

anyway something i have noticed a lot of in the last year in th eVancouver area is the amount of older men working in retail. Walmart has a lot of men in their 50's or 60's working, as do places like shoppers drug mart, london drugs, etc. I haven't noticed it as much in smaller places up north. The walmart in ft st john is about 95% staffed by young east indians, same with the walmart in peace river, large majority of staff there is now young east indians. But down here in the city a lot of older men are working in retail, they all seem to be recent immigrants too, Koreans, Iranians etc. They seem to be replacing the college age staff you used to see working retail.
I remember talking to someone from Australia once and he told me he was surprised that in North America many retail jobs in malls such as cashiers in food courts etc. were held by older people rather than teens or college aged folks.

He told me that in Australia, these kinds of jobs are still traditionally seen as a young person's job or a student's first job.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:06 PM
I am a typical

Walmart here is the same combination of old white people and young Indian people. A lot of fast food places has a lot of East Indians now, we've got a Wendy's and a KFC where almost all the staff are East Indian. It contrasts well with the East Indian restaurant we have that's now owned and operated by white people.

They're not replacing the college staff, btw. The East Indians are the college students.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:09 PM
See ya down under, mates

I saw an elderly white male at a grocery cashier for the first time in a long time this week. He was unbearably slow and made a big mistake on the previous customer's purchases.

Working people can't afford to live in my area anymore and it takes hours to get here from relatively affordable areas so employers are just happy to have a warm body.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Lethbridge (Alberta) of the 1980s had two downtown indoor malls and one suburban indoor mall. The suburban one has since been transformed into a rather busy outdoor power centre, and one of the downtown malls (Lethbridge Centre) has been largely transformed into an office complex, but the Hudson Bay store has stayed on, along with, literally, a handful of small shops. The other downtown mall (Park Place Mall) bookends the shops in the downtown area. That’s the “go to” mall with Sears as its main anchor. It also had an Eatons at one time but it has since been remodeled to accomodate medium sized box retailers.

As I mentioned above, Lethbridge Centre, has lost most of its shops to offices and I don’t think it’s that busy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hudson Bay relocates to the former Sears location, which would be a huge blow to Lethbridge Centre! When Lethbridge Centre was originally built, there were plans for an office tower (on the east end, which did get built) and a residential tower (on the west end, adjacent to the Hudson Bay, but never did get built). There’s lots of recently built retirement condos in the downtown area which could support a grocery store, which doesn’t exist downtown. That store could find a home either in the former Sears or Hudson Bay spaces. Perhaps a grocery store and an on-site condo tower will help revitalize Lethbridge Centre!
I'll just clarify a few things. Lethbridge actually had five indoor malls at one time - Lethbridge Centre, Park Place, College Mall, Centre Village, and Park Meadows Mall.

Lethbridge Centre opened in 1975 with Woodward's as its anchor and has been largely taken over by Alberta Health Services, though the office tower and Bay (which replaced Woodward's) still exist and there are a few health-related businesses facing 4th Avenue. The proposed apartment tower was to be at the east end, angling from 5th Street to 5th Avenue, and a Delta Hotel was to be built facing 4th Avenue, where those health related businesses and a park lot are now. There's actually an underground parking area which was meant for the hotel.

College Mall opened in 1967 with Woolco as its anchor, which was replaced by Wal Mart and, as you stated, has been converted to a power centre, anchored by a Shoppers Drug Mart, with a hotel built on part of the property as well. Not all of the proposed buildings were constructed.

Park Place opened in 1986 and now has Winners, Michaels, and a few others where Eaton's was. No announcement has been made re: the Sears location, but a grocery store has been announced for the vacant free-standing Toys R Us location, though the chain has not been specified. Superstore was looking for a site nearby of Scenic Drive some years ago. The opening of Park Place had a horrendous effect on downtown Lethbridge, as Lethbridge Centre responded by adding a second storey top its mall. The effect was to suck a great deal of retail traffic off of downtown streets. The downtown has only recently recovered, with a number of heritage restorations and three new office buildings. The story of why Park Place was built where it was is along and complex one involving railway relocation and a timid city council.

Park Meadows was built in the late 1970s and was converted to a smallish power centre some years ago, but lost its main tenant (Safeway) when Sobey's took them over.

Centre Village has existed since 1970; Sears was originally the anchor but moved to Park Place in 1986, with Canadian Tire replacing them in Centre Village. Just over a year ago Save-On Foods moved into the space formerly occupied by Zellers from its free-standing location across the parking lot, and London Drugs moved in as well, making the interior mall area much smaller than it was.

There used to be an IGA on the 700 block of 3rd Avenue across the street from Galt Gardens. It was a very busy store, but was replaced by the CASA arts complex, which will (hopefully sooner rather than later) be joined by a new performing arts centre immediately adjacent.

It's unlikely that any condos will be built at Lethbridge Centre or indeed anywhere else in the downtown. anytime soon. Projects on 3rd Avenue at 4th Street and 4th Avenue at 8th Street were abandoned due to lack of interest, Suites at 601 (I think that's the name) on 4th Avenue at 6th Street, though completed, has no residents so far as I can tell, and another conversion of a heritage building on 5th Street just south of Park Place seems to have stumbled. Two proposed seniors' condo towers of 14 and 16 storeys were dropped from the complex at 1st Avenue and Scenic Drive, as was a proposed 11 storey seniors' condo at 3rd Avenue and Scenic.

Last edited by GernB; Dec 30, 2017 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Wow didn't realize that Hart has a new logo. I've been to Hart stores in Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Sudbury and some in Quebec. (Rouyn-Noranda, La Sarre, Amos, etc.) There are many locations in Quebec.

That is a chain of stores that could potentially grow much more. I've noticed now that there are a number of locations in Southern Ontario as well as a few in New Brunswick. Hart could become the next Zellers/Target but with few departments.

Another similar chain which is also Quebec-based is Rossy. There is only one location in Ontario (Greater Sudbury) but many in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.

I also put Giant Tiger (based in Ottawa) into the same category as Hart and Rossy although I'd say that GT has become very boring compared to the two others and could be in trouble in the near future. Rossy and Hart tend to focus more on style and trends rather than simply being a discount store.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a merger between any of the three store chains I mentioned above.
Hart used to be a lot bigger than it is now and had a large footprint in Atlantic Canada. About 5-6 years ago they took a nosedive and went into bankruptcy protection. They shut down all of their stores in Newfoundland, a couple in Quebec, and most of their stores in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and another 5 in Ontario. I think there were 25-30 closures. I was pleasantly surprised by your post to hear that they are still open. My mom worked for Hart for years and a good chunk of my childhood was spent in their store.

Rossy came into Newfoundland by taking over Hart's vacant stores. Their ok, but definitely a step below Bargain Giant/Hart. Rossy is almost depressing to go into. Giant Tiger is a discount store which is great if I am looking to buy something cheap. I went there frequently when I was a student living in Fredericton. I go to Rossy whenever I'm at the mall now and always walk out with nothing. 90% of their inventory can be found for about $5 cheaper by walking 50 feet down the hall to Walmart.

Giant Tiger has spread out pretty well and now has stores from Sydney, NS to Manitoba at least. Not sure if they are further west or not. But I have found them to have a decent selection, a little grocery department, health/beauty which isn't shop rot, and even clothing which is sometimes decent. And their renovated/new stores are actually nice to be in.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:32 PM

^ We have a few Giant Tiger locations in Edmonton, but they haven't really made a huge impact. I don't really know anyone who shops there. Most just go to Walmart or Superstore or Dollarama or thrift stores.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 10:35 PM

^ Giant Tiger's bread and butter seems to be neighbourhoods without easy access to Walmart. There's one in downtown Winnipeg which I find pretty convenient for when you need some random item in a pinch.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:45 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/disc...boom-1.3997734

Article from earlier in the year talks about how Giant Tiger was expanding.

Giant Tiger seems to be associated with "small town Canada" a lot.

Its presence in the GTA as it approaches the city itself seems barely felt by Torontonians. It maintains a little foothold within the city limits -- a couple of locations in Scarborough, and one in Etobicoke. All are within striking distance of a Walmart though.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
5 years on, and Bari is still reeling from their shopping mall crisis.
I miss some of the glory days of this forum with updates on the Bari crisis and how the proliferation of residential in downtown areas was creating issues with the amount of retail available.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:18 AM

Interesting how some retail stores and restaurant chains spread all over Canada except BC. I haven't even heard of Giant Tiger. It seems the Rocky Mountains block more than just arctic air.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Interesting how some retail stores and restaurant chains spread all over Canada except BC. I haven't even heard of Giant Tiger. It seems the Rocky Mountains block more than just arctic air.
Kind of almost like how Metro Vancouver got Tim Hortons relatively late compared to the rest of Canada and is one of the few places in Canada where Tim Hortons doesn't dominate relative to Starbucks.

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/why-vancou...-hasnt-cracked

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada