HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:51 PM

Just took a peek at the monthly economic update for January published on the city's website. Saw a "seniors home development" for 134 Airport Heights Dr. and couldn't find much info about it besides for it being the most expensive on the list. Does any one have any information regarding this development?http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...c%20Update.pdf

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:05 PM

Not much detail, but some discussion at the City Council Meeting of Oct 10 2017.

"planned development of a 172-unit senior citizen complex to be built at 134 Airport
Heights Drive with parking to be extended into 152 Airport Heights Drive"

"A Discretionary Use application has been submitted to develop a portion of the
existing lot at 152 Airport Heights Drive, which is located in the Residential Low
Density (R1) Zone, as a Parking Lot. The parking area will be approximately 95 m2
and will provide parking for approximately 6 vehicles. This parking area will be
used in conjunction with the proposed senior's home development on the adjacent
lot at 134 Airport Heights Drive. "

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:31 PM

Good find, I usually browse through the council proceedings but don't recall seeing anything about that. Usually the only time anything gets any significant coverage is if rezoning is required. In this case it looks like that area is probably already the correct zoning (school next door) so the application process should be pretty straight forward. There must be three or four seniors complexes on the drawing board at this point, it could be a "race to market"....or a glut at some point. Remember the "condo" boom a few years back...how did that work out?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:34 PM

Kenmount Concept Plan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Very interesting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:09 PM

It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next 20 years.

I can see why Danny is upset with this development - he was forced to spend Millions on infrastructure by the City but it appears that the City might be on the hook ( perhaps $ 100M ) for the grand development of Bert Hickman and Glen Hickey of H3 Development ( ie Kenmount Crossing ).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:15 AM

I was holding out that Kenmount hill area would be the new main business district.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:00 PM

Had a quick look at the new Avalon Mall parking garage the other day as I was driving by and had no idea it was going to be that large. It's basically taking up there entire left section(from the road) of the parking lot from what I can tell. 875 parking spaces according to this: http://www.marcogroup.ca/projects/av...arking-garage/ That's a lot of parking spaces..

Wonder if the overhead pedestrian walkway will be any bigger than the one that used to be there. Have to think there will be a lot more people walking back and forth...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Had a quick look at the new Avalon Mall parking garage the other day as I was driving by and had no idea it was going to be that large. It's basically taking up there entire left section(from the road) of the parking lot from what I can tell. 875 parking spaces according to this: http://www.marcogroup.ca/projects/av...arking-garage/ That's a lot of parking spaces..

Wonder if the overhead pedestrian walkway will be any bigger than the one that used to be there. Have to think there will be a lot more people walking back and forth...
Looking at the finished pic, it looks like the walkway might be bigger. There will be escalators as well from what I can see in the pic. What we WON'T see are the trees that are shown in the pic. We MIGHT see some decorative giant boulders on the lawn. (Why anyone thinks these look nice and add them for landscaping is beyond me) What we WILL see is a mess of overheard wires hanging off crooked poles.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:01 PM

Three St. John's schools for sale

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...r-sale-188005/

Quote:
The English School District is selling three landmark St. John’s schools that were shuttered in recent years.

Bishops College and Booth Memorial — two former high schools in the city — and the former Macpherson Elementary on Newtown Road will be offered for sale in tenders expected to be issued Friday, The Telegram was told in an interview Wednesday with the English School District.

The tenders will close March 28, with the properties being sold as is.

Any known environmental remediation issues will be disclosed in the tender packages and will be up to the buyer to deal with.

Terry Hall, assistant director of education for the English School Board, said that given the age of the buildings — they are at least 40 or 50 years old — there is going to be material in them that may need to be dealt with by buyers.

Before they could go to tender, Hall said, the board had to reach agreements with third parties — the various churches that owned them under the former denominational school system that was folded in the 1990s.

Any profit after expenses would also mean those churches get a cut based on a financial agreement, Hall said.

Given a potential tough real estate market, Hall said, the board will try to generate as much interest as it can, because having vacant buildings on the books isn’t good because of such risks as fire and the ongoing expenses associated with monitoring them.

“The district is always in the process of preparing our vacant schools to get them on the market,” Hall said.

The schools have already been the target of graffiti artists and vandals who have broken windows.

As for community groups taking them on, Hall said that might be hard for them, given the buildings’ massive size and overall deteriorated condition.

“We obviously closed them for a reason,” he said.

Ward 2 was hard hit with school closures in recent years. Besides those three, one closed centre city school is being used by the French school board in a multi-year-agreement and another is being retained as a district school, which offers alternative education for certain students.

High school closures were prompted by a new school opening in the west end — Waterford Valley High on Topsail Road.

But Hall said there are other properties across the island that will be moved off the board’s books in the near future. A few will be put up for tender, while the board is in discussions to dispose of a couple of others
I suspect a lot of these properties will go the way IJ Sampson did...infill affordable housing.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:15 PM

So this "Kenmount Crossing" area is basically just a commercial area with retail and industrial?

Site plan just seems like a basic industrial park:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:22 PM

The Kenmount Crossing development is a very small part of the Kenmount Concept Plan -
On this plan the Kenmount Crossing is the area on the lower left. There's also three equivalent-sized home development areas north of Kenmount, and two more south and a school, two Fire Stations, etc.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:40 PM

Yeah that's interesting. Definitely going to be competition between this and Galway for future demand in the metro area. Not sure where it is all going to come from though..

Again my question is how much planning have they done around traffic...? TGH will definitely absorb a decent amount of traffic when it's fully built but TGH was already needed like 5 years ago. Now we have this huge plan for Kenmount and Galway. TGH is just going to end like the ORR; it's just going to come online barely in time and net traffic congestion will still be up.

Also are of these new huge developments being planned with the bus in mind? ie (adequate amount of shelters, hubs)?

If you want people to use the bus you need a decent shelters and hubs. New developments like these present an opportunity to do proper bus system integration.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Looking at the finished pic, it looks like the walkway might be bigger. There will be escalators as well from what I can see in the pic. What we WON'T see are the trees that are shown in the pic. We MIGHT see some decorative giant boulders on the lawn. (Why anyone thinks these look nice and add them for landscaping is beyond me) What we WILL see is a mess of overheard wires hanging off crooked poles.
Seems there will be escalators in the actual garage portion too:
https://twitter.com/Marcogroup/statu...98358249304064

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:22 PM

East Kilbride Land Use Development Plan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few from this morning.

Star of the Sea Condos, Harvey Road.

Adjacent MIX Apartments, Duckworth Street.

Hilton Hotel, New Gower Street.

Core Sciences Building, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Prince Phillip Drive.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 7:04 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ It's nice to see these projects progressing (Hilton, SOTS, etc..), rather than just being another proposal which faded into obscurity.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:12 PM

Not sure whether to put this in economic news or here but either way it's related to the downtown area.

Pro hockey is returning to mile one with an ECHL team:

https://www.echl.com/board-governors...2018-19-season

So we will now have a pro basketball team and pro hockey team. Wonder if there is enough support here for two pro teams?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:09 PM

I don't think it'll be an issue over a split of fans. I am highly suspect of whether the city will get behind an ECHL team though. I think a QMJHL team would have been better set to succeed, though I know there really isn't an option to buy a team or for an expansion team at this time, so ECHL is really the best that can be done.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I don't think it'll be an issue over a split of fans. I am highly suspect of whether the city will get behind an ECHL team though. I think a QMJHL team would have been better set to succeed, though I know there really isn't an option to buy a team or for an expansion team at this time, so ECHL is really the best that can be done.
Not sure I agree. I think ECHL would have a slight edge because its still pro hockey. I don't think Major Junior hockey has enough history/popularity here like it does in the rest of Canada. I don't remember the Fog Devils garnering much buzz when they were here..

If they get the team name/branding/ticket prices right it should do ok. I just don't know if there will be enough demand to support both basketball and hockey. I think the basketball team is doing well because there is a vacuum of entertainment options here now. Though I would gladly like to be proven wrong..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's