HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:00 AM

this is the first time i've opened this thread to read its contents but one post did make me wonder how people in this country think broadcasting works in Canada..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate
Theres a reason for that, people would rather watch Toronto based cable networks. Imagine a Regina based network like elly63 fantasizes about, all Rough Riders, high school sports and curling 24-7. Noone wants to see that in this country outside of a few online fanboys. If people dont like Toronto based networks theyre free to start their own, this a democratic capitalistic society, theres any number of western based cable companies such as Telus and Shaw, if there was a demand nationwide it will be served. Crapping on Toronto is a cop out and obstinate denial of a fundamental reality.
just as an FYI, yes, cable networks are free to be established anywhere in Canada (i.e. APTN Winnipeg) BUT the CRTC determines what networks can actual broadcast in this country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi...ons_Commission

The CRTC mandate is to "..upholding its responsibility to foster a national conversation". and Toronto has a history of getting certification for 99% of English national networks in this country, Probably due to being closest proximity to centre of Canadian English population and has been established long ago as a national broadcast centre.

FYI Back in the 1980's when the CRTC originally opened up cable networks to have the country's first all-news television network in Canada, a company in Edmonton applied to have the all-news network in the country but guess where the CRTC allowed the network? ..Allarcom did try to appeal the CRTC's decision but to no success..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC_News_Network

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...Communications

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 3:54 AM
The New Republic

My alma mater, Dalhousie University, just upset #3 Ottawa to make the Final 4. I believe that's the first time in school history so I have to give them a shout out. They will meet national powerhouse #2 Carleton in the Semi. #1 Ryerson meet #4 Calgary in the other Semi. Hot damn! Bring it back to Scotia!

GOTIGERSGO

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 1:39 PM
The New Republic

Calgary Dinos 98
Ryerson Rams 87

Carleton Ravens 76
Dalhousie Tigers 66

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 1:40 PM
The New Republic

Best showing ever for Dal and a bit of an upset in the other Semi. I think most thought this was going to be Ryerson's year. I guess I'll pull for Calgary as I'm tired of seeing Carleton take it.

Only 2100 showed up for the Final 4 Semis in Vancouver but college basketball is a new thing in this part of Canada. It will need a number of years before it's as big as it is on the east coast. Basketball has been culturally important in Nova Scotia for decades but hosting the Final 8 for ~ 20 years in a row helped a great deal as well. The Final 8 always does well when it's in Halifax.... even when the local teams get bounced.

They should keep the Final 8 in host cities for 2-3 years in a row to build its visibility. It's one of the best sporting events in the country, affordable, and fun. Canadians are largely oblivious to it which is a crying shame. It doesn't help that the CBC devotes tons of time to covering the NCAA tournament but doesn't even mention Canada's own tournament. Aren't they supposed to be our national broadcaster? Covering Canada should be their first priority.

I've been going/watching for 30 years. When it's in your city go check it out. If you like basketball, you'll like this event.

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 3:55 PM
gettin' rich!

Did anyone catch the raptor game last night?

Norman Powell is ridiculous, he will be the biggest star the Raptors ever had..

Video Link

Raptors go small and Crush Indiana!!!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

Video Link

I watched the Jays games, i should have watched the Raptors though. Looked like an amzing game.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:15 PM
gettin' rich!

Well the Raps did give you an hour and half grace time..

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:17 PM
GQMF

Great comeback win. Need to finish off the Pacers friday night.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:19 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

Video Link

I watch every game. Last night was depressing at first, but somehow they managed to pull it off in the end.

What's fascinating is the mind game at work. The Raptors have played only one really good game so far, and the rest of the time they've mostly stunk, but the plain fact of their superior talent has managed to carry them through this series.

But that won't work in future rounds. Lowry and DeRozan need to play like all-stars, and both of them need to be scoring 25 points or more for the team to be successful.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 3:11 AM

Toronto Raptors Charity Basketball

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:37 AM

We the North!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:08 AM
Registered Drug User

What a relief. They almost blew it there at the end. They looked good for about a quarter's worth of the action, and to be honest, Indiana lost this game more than Toronto won it. It was Indiana's to take at the end, and they almost did.

Norm Powell has been a revelation as a rookie. Terence Ross has flamed out like he did in the playoffs the the previous two years. DeRozan is inconsistent, and looks like he's good for maybe three decent performances out of seven.

But the biggest story is that Kyle Lowry's elbow is hurt really bad, and he's a shadow of the self he was during the regular season. He's sort of making up for it with some smart play and good passing, but this team isn't going to go anywhere without him hitting big-time threes and dominating in the fourth quarter.

I will not be surprised if Miami wins in four games. I'll be disappointed, but not surprised. I will be surprised if the series makes it to six games. Of course, there's a chance that getting to the second round really will be like getting a monkey off their back, and they'll actually start to play as good as they did for stretches during the regular season. Who knows?

My prediction? Miami in 4 or 5. I hope I'm wrong (that wouldn't surprise me either) and I eat my words!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:12 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Raptors still rank higher than Miami in the standings so fingers crossed!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:46 AM
GQMF

It's been a long 15 years but we finally made it to the 2nd round!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 10:58 AM
gettin' rich!

He should brace that elbow up. Still good on them for getting to the second round.

DeRozan needs to pass the ball!!!!

Keep Powell and Corey Joe on the court longer as well.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:07 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
We the North!
Technically, we in southern Ontario are the 'deep south' but I agree with the sentiment. Nunavut, NWT, and the Yukon are the North. Everything else in this country is the 'south'.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:20 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Technically, we in southern Ontario are the 'deep south' but I agree with the sentiment. Nunavut, NWT, and the Yukon are the North. Everything else in this country is the 'south'.
Technically, the only NBA teams north of Toronto are Minneapolis and Portland. "We the North" is fully, 100% accurate and appropriate in the context that it is being used.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Technically, the only NBA teams north of Toronto are Minneapolis and Portland. "We the North" is fully, 100% accurate and appropriate in the context that it is being used.
Yeah, that's the way I see it too.

Although it's always a bit weird in the Canadian context to hear people in other instances mention randomly (without any other info) "the South" and expect you to think of a place like Alabama right away.

Though if you go up to Sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, "the South" in usual conversation is Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor, etc. Even Ottawa counts.

In Rouyn-Noranda, "le Sud" is Montreal, etc.

But in Montreal, "le Sud" is Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico.

And in Montreal, "le Nord" is the Laurentian mountains resort area (St-Sauveur, Tremblant, etc.)

If a Montrealer tells you, "j'ai un chalet dans le Nord", he's referring to a place he can easily drive to after work.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:22 PM

Glad the Raptor won after almost blowing it. I don't like the idea of Ujiri signing Derozan to a long term contract paying $25 million per year. He is simply not someone a team can rely on to lead them on a deep playoff run. Not worth it at all.

The Raptor already made a mistake signing useless Terrance Ross to an inflated contract. Hopefully, they don't compound the situation with Derozan.

Miami are the favorites and they should win in 5. I wish the Raps had a gamer like Wade...

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:59 PM
gettin' rich!

Terrance Ross and his contract are gone, but they will likely have to give up a pick to get rid of him.

Signing him to a $50 million dollar contract was a big mistake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada