HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Here's where you guys need to get involved - NOW. Write and/or call your city council members.

Oppose City Funding Of Additional Red Line Service

Posted on February 8, 2012 by m1ek

WHEREAS most riders of existing Red Line service are likely not residents of the City of Austin and the majority likely don’t even reside in jurisdictions which pay Capital Metro taxes

and

WHEREAS the City of Austin already excessively subsidizes the existing Red Line operations, as the overwhelming taxpayer to Capital Metro, contributing over 90% of Capital Metro’s revenue to allow the Red Line to be subsidized at a cost of nearly 34 dollars per ride

and

WHEREAS such funds as proposed to further subsidize the Red Line cannot possibly result in a positive economic outcome for the City of Austin given that weekend traffic on the highways is not substantial, and the city can only recover 1% of spending by visitors in the form of sales taxes

THEREFORE BE IT SUGGESTED that everybody reading this contact everyone you know and your city council members and advise AGAINST the City of Austin paying for expanded weekend service on the Red Line and saving the money, instead, for the city’s urban rail proposal – which, unlike the Red Line, will serve primarily Austinites and which desperately needs the money.
You know Im really split on this. While on the one hand I agree with you about the red line, on the other hand I do believe in order to have real options for mass transportation we need night service as well as weekend service because people who might use it for those times can't right now. I know some people who live near the Lakeline station and would be interested in using the line to go out downtown on weekends and at night so they don't have to worry about drinking to much and having to drive all the way back. Many people who frequent the Downtown area on weekends and nights live in that part of the city and it would help reduce the risk of drunk driving if people knew they have that option to ride the train. If I lived along that line I would surely use it if I knew I could go party downtown and not have to worry about driving home after.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 8:30 PM

The logic of whether to subsidize this thing ought to depend on who's doing the subsidizing (in this case, ONLY the city of Austin), who they're subsidizing (mostly people outside the city of Austin - i.e. not taxpayers), and what the cost is compared to the benefit (in this case, spending 20 bucks in the hopes of getting 50 cents in sales taxes).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:23 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
The logic of whether to subsidize this thing ought to depend on who's doing the subsidizing (in this case, ONLY the city of Austin), who they're subsidizing (mostly people outside the city of Austin - i.e. not taxpayers), and what the cost is compared to the benefit (in this case, spending 20 bucks in the hopes of getting 50 cents in sales taxes).
I agree with you whole-heartedly on this point, Mike.

That said, the sword has two edges. HB 7's new transportation funding criteria, for example, removes any transit funding from the federal trust fund and leaves it to the general budgeting process under the auspices of who is doing the subsidizing.

The fundamentals of the argument are the same, albeit applying to two very different topics in scope and magnitude.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 12:32 AM

So I guess this will complete the transition of the Red Line into a primarily entertainment-oriented rail line:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...metrorail.html

I'm just wondering, are there any other cities with an "entertainment line" that is primarily for partiers getting into/out of downtown locations? I mean, other than Disneyland or other amusement park-run lines. Or will Austin be a first in that regard? I guess maybe Vegas beat us to it.

I think perhaps it will only be a couple of years before the realization sets in that we're subsidizing a partygoer's line, much like the Dillo before it, and they will finally kill it... or maybe make the downtown businesses pay for it (although it will be too expensive for them). In the meantime, it'll be a great thing for those suburbanites who want to experience Austin entertainment without having to hassle with driving.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:53 AM

I like the idea of calling it "The Party Line." Does anyone know if there are hotels close enough to the stops it makes out of downtown for people to walk to after a night out?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I like the idea of calling it "The Party Line." Does anyone know if there are hotels close enough to the stops it makes out of downtown for people to walk to after a night out?
Maybe some day it will graduate to the vomit comet

hmmm. don't know, I'll look next time I ride. It pretty much swings around the east side and then thru the country. You could walk to the Domain (if your ambitious, so when that hotel gets built) My daughter and I walked from the Lake Line stop to Kohls, but don't recall a hotel along the way.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
So I guess this will complete the transition of the Red Line into a primarily entertainment-oriented rail line:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...metrorail.html

I'm just wondering, are there any other cities with an "entertainment line" that is primarily for partiers getting into/out of downtown locations? I mean, other than Disneyland or other amusement park-run lines. Or will Austin be a first in that regard? I guess maybe Vegas beat us to it.
LIRR, and London Tube both run pretty late last I rode.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
LIRR, and London Tube both run pretty late last I rode.
Hmm, I wonder how much of their ridership is made up of these late-night party runs? Is that what they are known for?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:16 AM

The Red Line in Chicago is pretty much a 'party line' becaused of the Addison and Belmont stations.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:52 AM
~Hook'em~

All cities have party lines. When I was in my early 20's living in Sydney I remember taking the late night South Coast Line from King's Cross to the Suburbs where I was in school. The parties on those late night trains were wild. Lots and lots of crazy things went on, on those trains. And no I am not going to tell y'all all the unmentionable things we did! ) Good times, good times. Oh if only I could be back in my early 20s again. lol

In London we had the Circle Line Parties. But the city has been trying to do everything in their power to get rid of them. They outlawed drinking on the Tube back in 2008. Which didn't work. Then they tried to stop the trains that had the parties to get them to leave. Which still didn't work. lol. And now it isn't even in a circle anymore. I'll put some YouTubes of those below. But ya, all cities have party lines.

Austin should do something fun on a late night run. They should hire me to do it for them! Say once a week (Saturday nights) have one run 30 mins after Last Call that serves booze. Raise the price to charge $10-$15 at the door, plus the 'Party Run' could easily get some corporate sponsorship to help pay for it. Have lights and music. It would be great!

EDITED NOTE: Below videos curtain cussing and drug use. NSFW!

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:53 PM

Lightbulb

Fear of the taxpayers reactions to "Party Trains" is the #1 reason most transit agencies in the USA avoid late night trains.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Fear of the taxpayers reactions to "Party Trains" is the #1 reason most transit agencies in the USA avoid late night trains.
Well, it does kind of fly in the face of the whole "Commuter Rail" concept that was sold to everyone.

If they could charge more for the late-night runs, and make a profit, it would be a non-issue for most folks. But when you are talking about a form of transit which has such a huge per-rider subsidy -- well, we might shrug and accept it for people getting to/from work during rush hour... but subsidizing people going out for a night on the town? It does rub taxpayers the wrong way.

Not saying I wouldn't take it, if it stopped anywhere near where I live...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Well, it does kind of fly in the face of the whole "Commuter Rail" concept that was sold to everyone.

If they could charge more for the late-night runs, and make a profit, it would be a non-issue for most folks. But when you are talking about a form of transit which has such a huge per-rider subsidy -- well, we might shrug and accept it for people getting to/from work during rush hour... but subsidizing people going out for a night on the town? It does rub taxpayers the wrong way.

Not saying I wouldn't take it, if it stopped anywhere near where I live...
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Interesting point of view, never thought of that. personally, I could give too hoots, I just don't want them tearing up our train. But it is a conundrum that people want drunk drivers off the road, but wouldn't support mass transit to make it happen....

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Midnight is too early for them to stop it. If its going to service people who party Downtown on the weekends it needs to run to at least 2 and I believe 3 a.m. would make more sense. Who's going to go out and then leave before 12 a.m. on a Friday or Saturday night? Downtown does not even get crazy till around 11:30 to 12. If its going to be a viable option they need to make it till 2 or 3 a.m. or nobody is going to ride it unless they plan on an early night. The Night Owls run till 3, so should the rail line.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:35 AM

At the end of this article it says that the city and TXDOT are looking at building an interchange at both I35/Riverside and I/35/Cesar Chavez.

Since those exits are so close to gether that would be one big tangle of flyovers.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...r-sxsw-drivers

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:49 AM
~Hook'em~

Heh, I love that they mentioned the Chevy rides. Those are great! I got two yesterday. Real life savors.

One was at like 4:30 pm when it was really hot and I was at 9th and Rio Grande and had to get to the Convention Center. I was dreading the walk, and the zillion huge steep as hell hills in that area, when the Chevy car pulled over and asked if I would like to have a ride somewhere. lol. It really just made my day. Or well it is SXSW so lots of other stuff also made my day too, but it was near the top of things that made my day. =)

Thank you Chevy! <3

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 4:19 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
At the end of this article it says that the city and TXDOT are looking at building an interchange at both I35/Riverside and I/35/Cesar Chavez.

Since those exits are so close to gether that would be one big tangle of flyovers.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...r-sxsw-drivers
It wouldn't be quite that involved. Check out the preliminary drawings in the recent public meeting presentation (pdf, notably slides 13 & 14).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 5:19 AM

to be honest I wish the highway would just disappear or go underground like in Boston but that's just a fantasy

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 8:58 PM

That is the consensus around here. Any good solution to the rail log jam or the mess that is IH35 is quickly labeled a "fantasy". Real viable rail transit within the city and a redesigned IH35 could be built. Doing this would probably allow Austin to become a real "World Class City". it is what "World Class" cities do. They address problems, fund solutions, put up with huge amounts of construction and inconvenience, and end up with something special that enhances the city's ability to function. Here in Austin we just poke along complaining about the traffic while trying to patch together some kind of half baked rail solution or highway improvements that will not accomplish squat in the long run. We put all the fantasies on the shelf because of the cost or the inconvenience or the political impracticality involved. Austin needs to build a real subway line that crosses the city from north to south and goes where it needs to go. Expensive? You bet. Worth it in the long run? You bet. Austin needs to continue to develop commuter rail options and street car options along certain corridors. Austin needs to put IH35 below grade or below ground from Ben White to 183. That's a quarter of a century's worth of expense and inconvenience. Would it be worth the price? I certainly think so. It would transform this city during the period when it probably has its best shot at making it to the big leagues. Is it a fantasy? Yes. It might happen in more truly dynamic places in North America, but it seems like Austin is just stuck on being Austin, the place where things don't get built because it is just too darn complicated.

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud92 View Post
to be honest I wish the highway would just disappear or go underground like in Boston but that's just a fantasy
Austin doesn't have the political clout to bilk $15 Billion from DC like Bahston did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin