HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 8:52 PM

I wonder if they have a plan in place in case of a tsunami.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 7:42 PM

^^ Ok, you learned a new word in the last couple of years, but did you go a little bit further to learn how, when and where that phenomen can happen?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 3:07 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaby
I wonder if they have a plan in place in case of a tsunami.
I thought it was a perfectly sensible question, that deserves a perfectly sensible answer!

Although Dubai does suffer quakes from time to time, the developments there are constructed with this in consideration.....just like California and Japan do, to mention a few.

Although this area is seismicly active, Tsunami are only formed in deep sea subduction zones; and cause the most damage to those areas unprotected from ocean swell with steep sea-bed gradients toward shorelines which amplify the swell by the depth of quake origin to the height of the affected shoreline.

Dubai, is not considered a high risk for tsunami for generally lacking any of the above criteria.

However, never say never. If you notice that 'The World' archipelago is subtley defended from 'moderate swell' by its outer rings which are designed to deal with this phenomenon and channel it in the best way possible to protect the islands.

There was actualy a tsunami scare off the Dubai coast earlier this year because of a large quake who's epicentre was only 40kms west was said to have caused waves that where 2.5m high, which for most seaside resorts (like my own for example) is perfectly normal, and not an issue.

Only ignorance spread panic to those who don't understand the physics of such things and who's minds are brainwashed by watching too much television.

Dubai's seismic activity does pose a bigger threat to reclamed land like these islands and sand bars.
The effect of what is called 'liquifaction' can make the underground sand behave more like a liquid when subjected to large, short wave frequency tremors, which caused buidings, roads etc to sink into 'solid ground'.
I believe that Slugbelch has also mentioned this phenomina on page one of this thread.

But, if one looks at the worst case scenario and there's a local sea impact from let's say, a large explosion (Pyong Yang style) or large meteor impact for example, then yes, this area would be F.U.B.A.R.'d!

Mmm, now who's been watching too much television?

Last edited by Sky Tower; Oct 22, 2006 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
`

The World

Oct. 16:

theothersideofmsem

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 1:31 PM
`

Palm Deira

Work on Palm Deira on track
22-Oct-2006

Construction work on Palm Deira, the large man-made island off the Dubai coast is on track, according to a report released by Nakheel, the master developer of the ambitious Dubai Palm island projects. After months of land reclamation and sand filling, the actual construction for the project has started. The whole area is being treated by the technique of vibro-compaction just ahead of bored piling for the tower block structures.

Abdulla bin Sulayem, Director, Palm Deira, Nakheel said, “The vibro-compaction technique is used to densify and strengthen the recently placed sand fill and will eliminate the possibility of any geo-hazards.”

Nakheel has implemented tight control procedures to ensure that the work meets international standards. They include extensive field geo-technical investigation, lab testing & surveying works prior to and after the ground improvement works. Nakheel has also hired independent lab agencies with state-of-the-art field and lab-testing equipments.

Palm Deira construction off to a flying start
Oct. 21 2006

After months of reclamation and sand filling, actual construction work for the Palm Deira has finally started in earnest.

The area designated as the Palm Deira Corniche is currently being treated by the technique of vibro-compaction just ahead of bored piling for the initial tower block structures.

Abdulla Bin Sulayem the Operations Director of Palm Deira Development at Nakheel, said:
'The vibro-compaction technique is used to densify and strengthen the recently placed sand fill and will eliminate the possibility of any geo-hazards. It will also protect the island from future settlement and provide performance requirement of the supporting ground set by international standards and eliminate the risk of liquefaction in the event of any future earthquake.'

The ground improvement has been undertaken for the following purposes in order to achieve parameters sit out by international standards:

1. Provide foundation bearing capacity
2. Settlement reduction in case of an earthquake by mitigation of liquefaction
3. Avoidance of lateral spreading in case of an earthquake
4. Increase of lateral stiffness around pile foundations
5. Eliminate any future settlement from load and building construction

Nakheel has implemented the best practices, technology and expertise from the advance world with the best product available to satisfy the expectation of clients.

For this purpose Nakheel, in liaison with international experts, has prepared technical specification and quality control procedures to achieve the targeted performance requirements.

Ground improvement using the most advanced technology of vibro-compaction by an international contractor is being executed to ensure the full thickness of reclamation fill and to eliminate any loose layers of compactable soil beneath the original sea bed.

The in-situ densification comprises of the compaction of the full thickness of reclaimed materials and the existing sea bed into a denser state by rearranging soil particles by means of vibration, impact densification or other techniques proposed by the Contractor.

The quality control procedures include thorough field geotechnical investigation, lab testing and surveying works before and after executing the ground improvement works to verify the targeted performance requirement. Independent lab agencies equipped with state-of-the-art field and lab testing facilities have been appointed by Nakheel

The creation of this man-made island through the most advanced reclamation and ground improvement practices is unique and innovative for the type of the geo material used for reclamation in this region.

Nakheel over the past three years has invested heavily in technical investigation to obtain the full set of engineering properties of such material, in liaison with international experts, as needed for design purposes.

Over this period Nakheel's work has even advanced international knowledge in Geo-technical Engineering of material involve and practices of vibro-compaction in the most effective way meeting international standards.

Nakheel is recognized internationally as a pioneer in its field because of the innovative methods it has adopted in the construction of its iconic Palm projects.

Steve Jones, General Manager of the APCC-VFL Joint Venture, the company carrying out the sand treatment said: 'The type of soil improvement used at Palm Deira is similar to that currently being used on similar reclamation projects in the UAE and in other Gulf countries and is very effective in stabilizing areas of new sand fill.

'The sand fill in this particular section of the project is only 12 meters deep and the progress of the work is excellent. The fill material is reacting as anticipated to our treatment methods and we expect to complete the initial area by early November to allow the follow-on bored piling works to commence on schedule.'

The ground improvement contract is a design and built contract awarded to APCC-VFL.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 11:27 PM

great thread, just wanted to put my 2 cents in

I think it's pretty old, but the Dicovery Channel did a show on the Dubai Islands, namely the palm one. It was under the show extreme engineering i believe. It answers a bunch of questions regarding the things they did to earthquake proofing the islands, building a wall against waves/tsunamies and such. It was pretty cool. The amount of sand/rocks they moved was amazing.

In one of the later scenes, the top project engineering had to to to the quarry to renogotiate the amount of rocks they were getting becuase they were running low. They had about 500 trucks 24/7 going to/from the rock quarry.

Other amazing stuff was the sand dredger that they used shoot top soil onto the islands. All in all. Nice stuff pictures. I've beening looking around to see what the status of the project was. On the main website they stop at Jan 2006.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 7:29 AM

thanks for posting the google image with the stuff labelled. Dubaiis just so frikin huge and theres so much development then I'm lost. So...would that hotel in the water that looks like a sail boat be closer to the read dot that identifies dubai over near the mouth of the river? Also, that whole "waterfront area" and its cannal, would they be to the left of the picture??

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 5:43 PM
`

Palm J.

Today Oct. 26:

Last edited by Slugbelch; Oct 26, 2006 at 9:52 PM. Reason: Imageshack sucks

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 1:23 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Absolutely friggin amazing......I'm hooked.

The whole Marina is rising so quickly!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 3:06 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower
I thought it was a perfectly sensible question, that deserves a perfectly sensible answer!

Although Dubai does suffer quakes from time to time, the developments there are constructed with this in consideration.....just like California and Japan do, to mention a few.

Although this area is seismicly active, Tsunami are only formed in deep sea subduction zones; and cause the most damage to those areas unprotected from ocean swell with steep sea-bed gradients toward shorelines which amplify the swell by the depth of quake origin to the height of the affected shoreline.
I thought I would point out that a Tsunami can also be created by a massive volcanic eruption, most notably one that also causes a massive landslide into the ocean, which could affect coastlines thousands of miles away.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:52 AM

Is true that cancun sands was used in some beaches in Dubai??

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
I thought I would point out that a Tsunami can also be created by a massive volcanic eruption, most notably one that also causes a massive landslide into the ocean, which could affect coastlines thousands of miles away.
Dubai is on the CLOSED Persian/Arabian Gulf, which is also very shallow so a oceanic tsunami will not effect it, neither a tsunami in the gulf can happen.

However there are strong wind current that creates from time to time sea surge or waves of up to 4 meters tall.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 1:52 PM
Back on the road again

I wasn't commenting on the particulars of Dubai, I was simply amplifying a prior poster's comments in pointing out that there was at least one other way for a Tsunami to be created.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 4:48 AM
`

Dubai man-made island poised to greet first residents
Nov 04 3:45 PM US/Eastern

Palm Jumeirah, a man-made island off Dubai, is bracing for the arrival of its first residents, even as questions remain about the environmental impact of the mega-projects under way in the Gulf city state.
"These projects are a positive thing for the country" since they have propelled Dubai to world fame, said environmentalist Ibrahim al-Zu'bi.

But "they are introducing more people, so it's more pressure on the natural resources," he told AFP.

A few miles from Palm Jumeirah, shaped like a palm tree and the first of several artificial islands rising off the coast, work is continuing on "The World", a cluster of some 300 islands looking like a blurred vision of the planet's nations.

"The World," which is due to be completed end-2008, and three "Palm" islands are the work of Nakheel, a government-controlled property developer.

Nakheel recently announced that it would hand the keys of 3,900 flats and villas on Palm Jumeirah to their owners by year's end, some six months behind schedule.

The last to take delivery of their properties on the five-by-five-kilometer (three-by-three-mile) island will be running more than a year behind schedule.

Prices for the most luxurious villas on the island, whose construction kicked off five years ago, top four million dollars.

"By early to mid-December, there will be people living right on the Palm," a spokesman for Nakheel told AFP, asking not to be named.

The arrival of the first residents on the island will follow a publicity blitz starting November 9 in London, where a huge airship chartered by Nakheel will overfly the city's landmarks in order "to show that the Palm is the world's latest landmark," the spokesman said.

Repeats are planned in Paris, Milan and Rome, reflecting the key role played by European investors in the real estate boom in Dubai, which is a member of the United Arab Emirates. A similar publicity stunt will take place in Cairo.

Work is meanwhile also continuing on two other palm tree-shaped islands even bigger than Palm Jumeirah.

One, Palm Jebel Ali, is jutting out into Gulf waters to the west. The other, Palm Deira -- planned to be 18 kilometers (11 miles) long and nine kilometers (five miles) wide but still in its early stages -- is emerging to the east.

In the case of "The World," Nakheel's task is confined to bringing the islands up from the Gulf's shallow waters, leaving it to buyers to develop them within strict guidelines, chiefly in relation to the height of buildings.

Nakheel says 50 percent of the islands have already been sold, with price tags ranging from 15 to 40 million dollars.

But several years after the launch of the island ventures, their consequences on the marine environment remain a matter of debate.

"The environment is very important to us," said Adnan Dawood, a Nakheel spokesman.

Before the man-made islands began taking shape, the zone attracted migratory fish, Dawood said. Today "you have fish where there was no fish before, because now they have a habitat," he said.

"Fifteen new species of fish have made this (The World) their habitat... Today you can (even) see dolphins," he added.

Zu'bi, who serves as director of the Emirates Diving Association's environment department, was skeptical about Dawood's assertions.

While admitting that the ventures have positive aspects -- "new beaches, new diving sites, dolphins" -- he chided developers for lack of communication. "We are open to work with them in a positive way (but) they ignore us," he said.

"When it comes to the environment, you can't be as fast as you want. You have to compromise things. Things are going fast here," Zu'bi said in reference to the breakneck speed at which Dubai is growing.

"What happened in Europe in 50 years is happening here in five years," he said.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 4:15 AM
`

Quote:
The arrival of the first residents on the island will follow a publicity blitz starting November 9 in London, where a huge airship chartered by Nakheel will overfly the city's landmarks in order "to show that the Palm is the world's latest landmark," the spokesman said.

Repeats are planned in Paris, Milan and Rome, reflecting the key role played by European investors in the real estate boom in Dubai, which is a member of the United Arab Emirates. A similar publicity stunt will take place in Cairo.
Today at Cardington:

ragtag04

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 9:33 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
I wasn't commenting on the particulars of Dubai, I was simply amplifying a prior poster's comments in pointing out that there was at least one other way for a Tsunami to be created.
I WAS commenting on the particulars of Dubai. I am well aware of ALL the ways a tsunami can form and I'm sure AltinD does too!

Do you have anything serious to add to this thread 'cos Slugbelch obviously invests a lot of his time and effort to make this thread great and I'm sure some appreciation for his contributions wouldn't go a miss.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 2:39 PM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 10:56 PM
`

Some more from RAF Cardington at dawn 6 November 2006:

spodflys

Last edited by Slugbelch; Nov 12, 2006 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 1:17 AM
`

Palm Jumeirah

Super large panoramic:

The other side:

darikfshulla/ericghaller/moodic/fhalsurpop

Last edited by Slugbelch; Nov 12, 2006 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 6:50 AM
Guess Who's Back?

These buildings are really shooting up quickly!

I can't wait for the next Google Earth update of this area!

When do the first residents move in?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa