HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Hudson Rise in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A ditto in someway, but some perspective on the design along with the marketing to Asian buyers:

--------------------------------------------

New West Side Tower Design 'Inspired By Chinese Lanterns'

Quote:
Renderings are out (h/t New York YIMBY) for the newest addition to the Hudson Yards Special District, and the building will not be a boring glass slab. Designed by Archilier Architecture, this new tower will rise 720-feet at 470 11th Avenue on the corner of West 38th Street, and it will hold a 410-room hotel and 51 luxury condos. Developer Blackhouse purchased the site just last month. Blackhouse is partnering with an Asian equity firm in the deal, and the team plans to market the condos to Chinese buyers—thus, the selection of a Shanghai-based design firm. The archi-babble says the look is "inspired by traditional Chinese lanterns," and the stacked, alternating cubes are punctuated by "dramatic terraces and sky pools." It looks like there will be some kind of crazy open-air lobby, too.
===========================================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...e_lanterns.php
May 5, 2014

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:50 AM

Yeah, not a fan of the blockiness trend. It's the most inert geometrical form. More circles and triangles and spirals, I say! But the design is intriguing; I'm open to the possibility of being won over...

Starting to get a bit worried about all the glassiness going up on the west side, though. If the neighborhood doesn't get more masonry to balance it out, it could all end up in sterile town.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Starting to get a bit worried about all the glassiness going up on the west side, though. If the neighborhood doesn't get more masonry to balance it out, it could all end up in sterile town.
You could say the same thing for the WTC, but I don't see it ending up that way. There will be a lot of "new" around Hudson Boulevard, that's for sure. And that's a good thing. That a city like New York can create a brand new business district is amazing, mostly because of the density it already has. As it is, the density will be spread among [/I]more[/I] towers than envisioned.

Now, if they could just do a proper rendering so we can really put it into context. It's 2 blocks south of Silvrestein's city, and 2 blocks north of the Girasole (3 Hudson).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:16 AM
Everywhere all at once

I love this design, but one of the things I really enjoy about the image above is that the Javits Center is going to go from being surrounded by general nothingness to being flanked by tons of buildings reaching 700+ feet. Good sh*t.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I love this design, but one of the things I really enjoy about the image above is that the Javits Center is going to go from being surrounded by general nothingness to being flanked by tons of buildings reaching 700+ feet. Good sh*t.
I wonder how long that will last though, considering that the land the Javits Center is built on is already prime, which will only become more valuable as the Hudson Yards is built up.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
The Javits Center won't even be around 15 years from now.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You could say the same thing for the WTC, but I don't see it ending up that way. There will be a lot of "new" around Hudson Boulevard, that's for sure. And that's a good thing. That a city like New York can create a brand new business district is amazing, mostly because of the density it already has. As it is, the density will be spread among [/I]more[/I] towers than envisioned.
I do say say the same thing for the WTC. But Hudson Yards is better, because at least whatever goes up there will unquestionably be better than the rail yards and blight that existed before. The contribution to the city will certainly be positive; I just worry about the missed opportunity to build a place that could be truly great.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Yeah, not a fan of the blockiness trend. It's the most inert geometrical form. More circles and triangles and spirals, I say! But the design is intriguing; I'm open to the possibility of being won over...

I agree -- there should be limestone buildings in this part of Hudson Yards.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I agree -- there should be limestone buildings in this part of Hudson Yards.
I dont think the glass facades are a problem, works out in Shanghai, Guangzhou and other cities. I just think architects literally need to think outside the box when it comes to form.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
I dont think the glass facades are a problem, works out in Shanghai, Guangzhou and other cities. I just think architects literally need to think outside the box when it comes to form.
I think you're on to something. But -- most developers won't waste precious square feet for "out-there" designs. It works in those cities but not in expensive NYC real estate. The box is the cost effective design when purchasing expensive land + air rights.

I do hope we'll get another Tower Verre type building here but we know what to expect from developers. A box with glass + setbacks/asymmetrical shoulders and there you have a 'unique" design. At least a limestone facade will make it stand out a bit...

Last edited by Perklol; May 7, 2014 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:38 AM
New Yorker for life

May 12, 2014

From this view, minus all other pending towers, it would be a decent height, and it will be very visible from the Hudson, as long as the Javits stands...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:58 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/06/...on-yards-site/

Black House boss pays $62M for Hudson Yards site
Sean Ludwick, Chinese PE firm to build condo-hotel tower on property

June 25, 2014
By Mark Maurer

Quote:
Sean Ludwick, managing partner of Black House Development, is set to close today on the $62 million purchase of Hudson Yards-area parcels with 160,000 buildable square feet, The Real Deal has learned. Ludwick plans to construct a 64-story tower on the site.

Ludwick, in partnership with a private Chinese equity firm, has applied for the air rights to a 14,000-square-foot former parking lot at 462-470 11th Avenue and 554 West 38th Street. The city owns an extra 160,000 buildable square feet in air rights, for which the developers would pay as much as $40 million, sources said.

It was reported in April that Ludwick paid $115 million for the site, but sources close to the deal said the purchase price of $62 million does not include air rights.

The proposed tower would include 450 hotel rooms, 50 condominium units and a membership-only dining club called the Shanghai Club. Prices for the condos are expected to range from $6 million to $8 million, sources said.

The site, comprising five adjacent parcels, is vacant.

The developers are looking to break ground by March 2015 and wrap construction in 2017, sources said.

The seller is Hank Sopher, owner of the Quik Park garages. He could not be immediately reached for comment.

Lesya Yanush, a broker at Lee Odell Real Estate, is representing the buyers.

Last year, Ludwick secured a deal to borrow over $82 million to finance two new high-end developments, including Soori High Line at 522 West 29th Street, but he is no longer involved with the projects, as previously reported.

In addition to the Related Companies’ behemoth Hudson Yards project, Maddd Equities, Joy Construction, the Bauhouse Group and Frank McCourt are also developing on the Far West Side.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 1:58 AM
Mr. Technology

I really like the design of this tower and hope it goes through!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 4:18 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That's $250/sf they want for the extra air rights. Seems a bit on the low size, but I suppose air rights are cheaper in the Westside than Midtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:43 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
That's $250/sf they want for the extra air rights. Seems a bit on the low size, but I suppose air rights are cheaper in the Westside than Midtown.
That's a good thing!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/p.../07/16/NY70595

Siras Development and Kuafu Properties Complete Acquisition of Premier Hudson Yards Development Site
Planned 380,000-Square-Foot Iconic Tower Slated to Rise Opposite Javits Center

July 16, 2014

Quote:
A joint venture of Siras Development, a New York-based luxury real estate development group and Kuafu Properties, the New York-based Chinese real estate investment and development company, have announced that they have completed the acquisition of a prime development site in Midtown Manhattan's Hudson Yards, comprising five adjacent parcels located at the southeast corner of 38th Street and 11th Avenue.

The planned 380,000-square-foot mixed-use project, set to rise on the site directly across from the Jacob Javits Center, will consist of approximately 50 luxury condominium units in the top 15 floors of the tower; a 400-room high-end hotel situated on 20 floors; the Shanghai Club, an exclusive membership club for an anticipated international demographic occupying three floors; office space designed to attract the growing millennial generation workforce, and ground-floor retail and lifestyle space.

"We are in a strong position to meet the demands of the market," said Shang Dai, Principal of Kuafu Properties, the co-developer and capital provider. "We went into contract for the land at a time when Hudson Yards was beginning to gain prominence as a prime destination. By capitalizing on the timing in the market, we will be able to deliver a superior project designed for what we envision as the new frontier in the New York real estate landscape," he added. The site was purchased for an estimated $62 million.

Designed by Archilier Architecture, the planned 47-story tower will have a sleek, modern appeal with a distinctive Asian influence.

"As for the hotel component, we retained Jones Lang LaSalle for the RFP process, which is already underway, and we have strong interest from high-end hotel brands that are excited to be a part of one of the strongest hotel markets in the nation," said Ashwin Verma, Managing Partner of Siras Development. "This project, opposite the Javits Center, close to the Highline and with unparalleled and unobstructed views of the Hudson River promises to be a centerpiece of the area, and will grow in stature as Hudson Yards continues to evolve," he added.

The Shanghai Club, a highly anticipated component of the project, will have spectacular views of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline and will feature private dining facilities with authentic Chinese cuisine, tea house, areas for lounging and socializing including a rooftop bar, a private pool, and other luxury amenities, expected to appeal to Chinese and American business people as well as international buyers who are looking to purchase a lifestyle as well as real estate.

Site preparation is to commence shortly, with groundbreaking slated for the second quarter of 2015.

About Siras Development:

Siras Development is a New York-based integrated real estate group building commercial, hospitality and residential developments of exceptional quality, from partners Saif Sumaida and Ashwin Verma. The company creates developments that use pioneering architecture and design to redefine neighborhoods from Tribeca and Soho to the West Chelsea Highline and Hudson Yards. With a development and construction management portfolio of more than 30 properties across New York City, including the critically acclaimed Soori High Line, Hotel Americano and 520 W 27th Street, Siras approaches each development project by inviting world-class architects to express and add their individual interpretation of modernism to the New York landscape. The company believes that by sharing its vision with foreign architects, hotel companies, brands and investors, the firm can create iconic cultural destinations within cosmopolitan locations.

About Kuafu Properties:
Kuafu Properties, based in New York City, is a full-service development platform established with the vision of bridging Chinese capital with prominent US real estate projects. Kuafu has assembled an experienced team of real estate professionals with in-house capabilities ranging from architectural, legal and financial to development. Kuafu intends to develop additional projects with Chinese capital, including the use of EB-5 funding and traditional forms of equity to deploy into suitable development and value-add projects. Kuafu's focus to date has been on New York City projects where it is actively pursuing additional investment opportunities.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:07 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The 47-storey tower would be directly opposite the Jacob Javits Center

Mystery Real Estate Co Building 47-Story Chinese Tower in NYC

Quote:
A new 380,000 square foot (35,303 square metre) tower in Midtown Manhattan was just announced today, and its developers — one of which appears to represent anonymous mainland investors — appear set on turning Chinese capital into New York profits.

According to a statement today from US-based (but Chinese-named) Kuafu Properties, a joint venture between the recently-formed firm and New York high end real estate company Siras Development recently invested $62 million to acquire a plot in Midtown Manhattan’s Hudson Yards.

The residential development project planned for the site is the second major undertaking by a Chinese developer in the US in the last two weeks, and this latest venture seems to be counting on Chinese appetite for American homes to help boost their sales.

The site of the new project is comprised of five adjacent parcels located at the southeast corner of 38th Street and 11th Avenue directly across from the Jacob Javits Center in Midtown. The plans for the tower specify approximately 50 luxury condominium units, a 400-room high-end hotel situated on 20 floors, and the three-storey “Shanghai Club,” which the developer refers to as “an exclusive membership club for an anticipated international demographic.”

The project will also include office space and ground-floor retail areas and was designed by Archilier Architecture. Groundbreaking is said to be slated for the second quarter of 2015.
==================================
FORBES ASIA | 7/17/2014
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelc...sfp=3131269886

Last edited by chris08876; Jul 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:12 AM

The towers just keep on coming.

Hudson Yards will be non-stop construction for the next 15 years.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:17 AM

There's already a thread.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maybe merge the first post into the existing thread found here?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=210689&page=2

Last edited by chris08876; Sep 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals