HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:09 AM
Montérégien

My jaw dropped

More seriously, what a great collection of pictures ! Some of these churches remind me of rural Quebec (like, massive rural or small-town churches from the 19th century catholic tradition), while others have a grandeur you'd find in urban England. Impressive.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:10 AM
Montérégien

Sorry, my comment created a new page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
A couple of new ones from today from down in Greene County, PA.

AF5_8700 by photolitherland, on Flickr

AF5_8594 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:39 AM
Ex Houstonian

Learned how to do this today, a wide angle panorama of St. Stanislaus Church in Pittsburgh's Strip District. Took about 12 photos to do this. I tried it with another church and it didn't work at all. Im sure Ill get a hang of it over time.

Untitled_Panorama-2 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 10:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

A couple of new panos. These are incredibly frustrating to do.

Untitled_Panorama1 by photolitherland, on Flickr
First Baptist Church in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood.

Untitled_Panoramaf1 by photolitherland, on Flickr
St. Pauls Cathedral in Oakland, Pittsburgh.

Then one non pano of St. Marys Polish Catholic Church in Pittsburgh's Polish Hill hood.

AF5_9154 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

Photo I just took of the St. Nicholas Croatian Catholic Church in Millvale, just a couple blocks away from where I live. The murals are semi famous and painted by Maxo Vanka. The murals depict Christ and Mary in images of war and offer social commentary on world events like fascism, war, and poverty. Murals painted before the war depict Croatian immigrants coming to America to seek a better life, grateful to have escaped the slaughter taking place in their homeland. This was Vanka's "Mothers offer up their sons for labor" theme, a tribute to all those who worked diligently in the mills and mines in and around Pittsburgh. One mural depicts the fire and collapse of one of the coal burning mills and as a Croatian mother cradles her dead son, her other three sons rush into the mill to save their fellow workers and are killed. A committed pacifist, the intensity of Vanka's beliefs are depicted clearly in post-war murals. One is of the Virgin Mary coming between two warring soldiers. Another depicts two soldiers battling each other, yet this time it is Jesus who attempts to intercede and one of the soldiers accidentally thrusts his bayonet into Jesus' heart.

AF5_9162 by photolitherland, on Flickr

AF5_9158 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Hail Satan but great thread!
You'll have an eternity to do that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 5:56 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 7:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1454 View Post
First one is St. Paul's Cathedral in Pittsburgh. Second one is Calvary Episcopal Church in Pittsburgh. The last one is St. Peters Cathedral in Erie.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 3:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

Just visited a very unique and quite possibly one of a kind church in America today in Beaver County, PA; Saint Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Chapel. It is a replica or facsimile of a 17th century Ukrainian wooden church. The church was built in 1992 and is quite incredible.

AF5_9769 by photolitherland, on Flickr

AF5_9604 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited by photoLith; Apr 3, 2017 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

Panorama I did yesterday of St. Nicholas Church in Millvale, PA.

stnich by photolitherland, on Flickr

Heinz Chapel in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood.

AF5_9884 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:18 PM

Keep the photos coming! I find myself coming back to this thread a couple times a week even without the updates.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

Went up to Erie today in northwestern PA and photographed a bunch of churches I never have before. Still not done today, got a few more to go to for Sunday night Palm Sunday fish dinners. The Catholics and Orthodox sure do love their fried fish.

AF5_0021 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Church of the Nativity, a Russian Orthodox Church, one of the most incredible churches Ive ever seen.

AF5_0057 by photolitherland, on Flickr
St. Lukes Catholic Church

AF5_0048 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Assumption Greek Orthodox, this church was built in the 80's surprisingly and looks like a generic boring suburban church from the outside.

AF5_0091 by photolitherland, on Flickr

St. Stanislaus (Polish Catholic) in the now ghetto of east Erie, this church I am fairly certain will close soon, it was built in 1898. The Erie Catholic Diocese closed and merged a good majority of the Catholic Churches here about 2 years ago and closed about 5 beautiful historic churches, which are now sitting rotting. This church was one of the few that survived. St. Lukes, pictured 2 above is much healthier than this church and more centrally located. The vast majority of parishes in PA and well, just about everywhere are comprised of people over the age of 55 or 60, if not even older. This also applies to Orthodox churches and I would image in 10 years, nearly every last one will be closed in PA. So, its very important to photograph these places before they are lost forever. A lot of the churches Ive photographed since moving to PA 4 years ago have already closed.

Last edited by photoLith; Apr 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:03 AM
Ex Houstonian

The 1930 First Presbyterian Church in downtown Erie, from a couple of days ago.

AF5_0107 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 9:14 PM
hemelschraper

Absolutely fantastic.

(BTW...I just copy and paste the above reply to every thread you post here. Yeah, please do come to Europe. Churches galore, and some nice ones at that too.)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Went up to Erie today in northwestern PA and photographed a bunch of churches I never have before. Still not done today, got a few more to go to for Sunday night Palm Sunday fish dinners. The Catholics and Orthodox sure do love their fried fish.

AF5_0021 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Church of the Nativity, a Russian Orthodox Church, one of the most incredible churches Ive ever seen.

AF5_0057 by photolitherland, on Flickr
St. Lukes Catholic Church

AF5_0048 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Assumption Greek Orthodox, this church was built in the 80's surprisingly and looks like a generic boring suburban church from the outside.

AF5_0091 by photolitherland, on Flickr

St. Stanislaus (Polish Catholic) in the now ghetto of east Erie, this church I am fairly certain will close soon, it was built in 1898. The Erie Catholic Diocese closed and merged a good majority of the Catholic Churches here about 2 years ago and closed about 5 beautiful historic churches, which are now sitting rotting. This church was one of the few that survived. St. Lukes, pictured 2 above is much healthier than this church and more centrally located. The vast majority of parishes in PA and well, just about everywhere are comprised of people over the age of 55 or 60, if not even older. This also applies to Orthodox churches and I would image in 10 years, nearly every last one will be closed in PA. So, its very important to photograph these places before they are lost forever. A lot of the churches Ive photographed since moving to PA 4 years ago have already closed.
Awesome photography... awesome subjects, but I couldn't make them look this good.

A couple notes:

- the church you have labeled St. Luke's is actually St. Joseph's (on Sassafras Street in midtown Erie near St. Vincent Hospital). Saint Luke's is a 1950s-ish church on Erie's upper east side (East 38th by Mercyhurst University (which also has a pretty chapel on campus that you might want to shoot).

- Saint Stan's was my family's parish. Too bad the east side of Erie is in such rough shape because so many great old churches are located there.

Quote:
The 1930 First Presbyterian Church in downtown Erie, from a couple of days ago.

AF5_0107 by photolitherland, on Flickr
This is a great church, especially ornate for a Presbyterian. It's more properly known in Erie as First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant or just Church of the Covenant. Erie likely has the highest quality church architecture per capita in the nation, owing to it being a major center for European Catholic immigration a century+ ago and also because it is the largest Catholic diocese (by area) in the state, and one of the most Catholic cities in the US. The quality and diversity of religious architecture in Erie rivals or surpasses many larger US cities.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

Some more Erie Churches
AF5_0166 by photolitherland, on Flickr
St. Patricks Catholic Church

AF5_0205 by photolitherland, on Flickr
St. Peters Cathedral

A beautiful church overlooking the small town of Oil City, which is still in the Erie Diocese. This church is St. Josephs Catholic Church.
AF5_0269 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited by photoLith; Apr 16, 2017 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 7:45 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Awesome job!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 6:48 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Incredible pics, Lith. Even I wasn't aware of 85% of these architectural and artistic gems.
You are right, many of these structures will not survive the demographic shift as the older generations die off.

My dad who hauled steel out of all of the huge, impressive steel mills around Pittsburgh from 1970-1990's regrets not taking photos of the interior and exterior of these mills which each one was the size of a city, skyline of smokestacks and blast furnaces and more. There were over 200 steel mills around Pittsburgh. There are now two active steel mills - Braddock and Midland.
He said he never would've imagined they would close and be torn down so quickly and methodically.

The same could happen with the churches.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
In Europe they preserve most of these places, even if the congregations are no longer existent. Here in America, they just get lost forever because people overall don't care one bit about preservation or history.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^
In Europe they preserve most of these places, even if the congregations are no longer existent. Here in America, they just get lost forever because people overall don't care one bit about preservation or history.
It's akin to ISIS destroying ancient religious temples and cultural artifacts in the middle east. Just not out of spite and ignorance, rather out of indifference and ignorance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos