HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 1:06 PM
Making you spend more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I was beginning to wonder if the bongo dude had left London, as I hadn't seen him this summer.
I dunno, I'm pretty partial to Mr. Trumpet who sits outside the tim hortons at galleria mall -- he always plays "When the saints go marching"... I'm dying to ask him to play the hockey night in canada theme.. because that would be sweet.... lol

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 7:14 PM

I'm kind of partial to york-street-liquor-store-guitar-guy. I never hear the same song twice from him. Trumpet-guy is ok. He is a little repetitive, but he's a really nice guy...I'm sure he would take requests, especially for a classic like that.

"This constant bickering is going to put me in a coma!"

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 8:27 PM

Bongo drum guy is hit and miss. He used to be there a lot more but now I find he'll come out for a few minutes, play, then leave. Last week I saw him when I was on my way to Cousin Vinny's and he was gone when I left. Aside from that I've only seen him a couple times all summer.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Recent Economic News

Given recent economic news, I would be surprised to see any of the proposed and rumoured buildings go up at this point. 180 Mill, Renaissance II, Hyde Park and Old East/Medallion are some of the ones that I don't think will go up anytime soon because of it. Of course, we will have to see how the rental market performs, and the downtown market in particular. I can't say I care too much, except in the case of Old East/Medallion, having just moved to the neighbourhood and excited about a turn around. Maybe in five years developers in London will not be so tasteless as to think that the Renaissance is "nice" in any way.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Building boom grows louder

Thu, September 18, 2008
Value of London construction activity expected to set new record at more than $800 million
By NORMAN DE BONO

Operator Joe Soares's crane boom extends to the horizon, high above downtown London. (Mike Hensen, Sun Media)

The value of construction in London is about to top $800 million for the first time, despite the region's economic slump.

"This is going to be the biggest year ever. We are at $640 million now with four months to go, we will top $800-million," Rocky Cerminara, the city's director of building controls, said yesterday.

That is startling, considering the city has an unemployment rate of 6.7 per cent, higher than the national and provincial average. In August, London had 244,600 people working compared to 247,000 in 2007, a decline of 2,400 workers.

The boom is buoyed by $100-million in construction at the London Health Sciences Centre.

"I believe it shows that we have a diverse economy," Cerminara said. "If one sector takes a hit, the other sides will hold us up."

Gerry Macartney, general manager of the London Chamber of Commerce, agreed London's diversity has kept it moving along.

"We do enjoy a balance and, frankly, we are able to weather these economic conditions better than most," he said. "We have steady, incremental growth."

As for the hospital construction that has lifted the building totals, expect much more to come, said Dave Crockett, vice-president of facilities management for LHSC and St. Joseph's Health Care London.

The $100 million issued this year is for the completion of the Children's Hospital of Western Ontario and Grace Donnelly Women's Health Pavilion, the latest stage in what has been a $250-million project at both LHSC and St. Joseph's. But there will be another $300-million wave of building from 2009 to 2013, he said.

"This is important because of its scope and size and (because) it will bring more services, including 76 beds, to capacity. This will help a lot," Crockett said.

There are 300 construction workers at the Victoria Campus and 100 at St. Joseph's, which is also doing renovation work because some programs will shift there. The reconstruction of that hospital began in 1999. The first phase -- a $350-million project -- ended in 2006.

Brian Waltham, vice- president at EllisDon Construction, which is building the hospital tower, wasn't surprised by the boost in building, saying the industry has been steady and he doesn't anticipate a letdown.

"There is doom and gloom in the media, but the building that is going on will keep things going for a while. We are ecstatic."

According to building figures from January to August, not too many sectors appear to be taking a hit.

Institutional building this year stands at $224.8 million compared to $104 million over the same period in 2007. Surprisingly, industrial -- the sector that has been hit hardest by layoffs and plant closings -- is also up, with $59.6 million compared to $44.1 million last year, thanks to a new manufacturer, Hanwha, and the development of new industrial space that will be leased to tenants.

Residential building spending is up to $307 million over $285 million in 2007, driven largely by apartment building. Detached home building dropped 33 per cent.

Commercial building showed the largest decline, with $45 million in permits issued from January to August compared to $64 million last year.

TOP FIVE 2008 PERMITS

LHSC, $90 million. (It also has a second $10-million permit).

$18.5 million, Fanshawe College residence.

$18.3 million, seniors care facility.

$16.5 million for Hanwha, a Korean building supply company.

$16 million, seniors apartment building.

THE NUMBERS

Value of building permits

2008: $800 million+ (projected)

2007: $722 million.

2006: $773 million

2005: $622 million

2004: $648 million

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Grand Theatre's renovations worthy of a toast
Thu, September 18, 2008

By MEREDITH CLARKE

Considered one of the oldest and most beautiful performance spaces in North America, The Grand Theatre's house has been renovated with a new stage, paint, wall coverings, carpet and seats and it was unveiled in an intimate and celebratory toast last Wednesday.

Attendees walked down a red carpet leading them to a side door of the theatre. Through it, they found themselves on centre stage, looking out at the grand resurrection with a glass of champagne in hand.

Grand staff and board members floated throughout the room, including executive director Deb Harvey and artistic director Susan Ferley, who were elated with the changes and the support.

Sheila Simpson (Ontario Trillium Foundation), Rick Verette (Canadian Department of Heritage), Bill Ruth (Tillman, Ruth & Mocellin), Gina Barber (City of London) and Ben Sanders (High School Project alumni) were witness to the Grand's subtle yet glamorous facelift.

President of the Grand Theatre Foundation's board of directors Gerald Slemko spoke with pride of the theatre and its list of supporters who ensure its presence in the heart of London.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 1:31 AM
Londoner

This pics is cool!!!!!!

Operator Joe Soaress crane boom extends to the horizon, high above downtown London, as he returns an empty hopper after the concrete in it was used to pour walls on the Renaissance apartment towers 25th floor. Seen in this view, looking north, are the John Labatt Centre, Bell building and Talbot Centre towers.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Where have all the pretty dancing bananas gone?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 12:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am surprised that Western's construction projects are not included in the figures (perhaps due to start dates?). There are cranes everywhere here on campus.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 11:46 PM
Londoner

London to host 2010 figure skating championship

Mon, September 22, 2008

Skate Canada announced this morning that London will be the host city for the 2010 BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships.

The event will be held from January 13-17, 2010, at the John Labatt Centre.
The timing of the championships is of particular significance because it precedes the 2010 Olympic games in Vancouver by only six weeks. The London event will be the primary selector for the Canadian Olympic Figure Skating team.

“Everything we need to host a first-class skating event can be found in London,” said William Thompson, Skate Canada CEO. “They have always welcomed athletes, volunteers and fans with open arms and 2010 will be no exception.”

This is the second time that London will play host to the BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships. The city first held the event in 2005. London was also the site of the highly successful 2007 ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships.

Approximately 150 skaters in the women’s, men’s, pair and ice dance disciplines will compete at the senior and junior levels at the BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Information on Meadowlily Wal-Mart

Here is some information on the proposed Wal-Mart NE of Commissioners and Highbury:
http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Plann...pplication.htm

The staff recommendation right now is to refer the matter back and to create a mini-area plan.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 9:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any info on the proposed Walfart at Exeter and Wonderland Rd. South?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Good things brewing in Old East

I am very pleased to report that many new businesses are opening in the Old East Village.
Some of the new businesses:
Asahi Sushi
Wisdom Tea Shop
Old East Village Coffeeshop
Afric Coffeeshop
These places look very nice. Go on down and check them out!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:59 PM
BANNED

City hall abetted demo
Thu, September 25, 2008
Owner of the building, considered ripe for heritage designation, says unnamed councillors suggested demolition

By JONATHAN SHER

The owner of the 153-year-old Brunswick Hotel says he moved to level it only after three London council members and the city's planning department suggested he seek a demolition permit.

Dan Dencev said yesterday he didn't ask for a demolition permit until that possibility was suggested to him several months ago at city hall.

At the time, Dencev said he wanted to have the city remove the hotel from a list of buildings considered priorities for heritage designation, a listing he says cost him a sale to someone who wanted to redevelop the site at the corner of Talbot and York streets.

"A couple of people suggested it (would) go faster, (there'd be) no hassle," he told The Free Press.

Dencev wouldn't say who at city hall advised him.

"I don't want them to get any heat," he said.

There was already plenty of heat yesterday at city hall as politicians who had sought to protect the Brunswick tried to find out what had gone wrong.

"I was absolutely stunned," Coun. Nancy Branscombe said.

On July 4 Dencev applied for a demolition permit, setting in motion a 60-day timeline for council to approve the demolition or protect the hotel by seeking to designate it as a heritage property.

But things went awry.

A split council voted Aug. 18 to seek reasons to designate the hotel, a decision those who prevailed thought had stopped the clock on demolition.

"That was the clear intent," said Coun. Judy Bryant, who made the motion.

Some thought there was also a second safeguard -- that same day, planner Greg Barrett told the planning committee Dencev couldn't demolish the building until a loan to the Brunswick from the city -- about $12,000 was paid back.

At least that's the recollection of Bryant, Branscombe and Controller Gina Barber.

Asked yesterday about what he told the planning committee, Barrett said he wasn't certain, then read the loan agreement between the city and the Brunswick owner. The agreement insures the city gets paid back but does nothing to prohibit demolition.

Later, Branscombe said Barrett had told her he first learned of the terms of the agreement this week.

The council resolution was for naught. Earlier this month, city lawyers warned council the wording of the resolution wasn't specific enough to stop the demolition.

Branscombe questioned why city lawyers or planners didn't tell council in August its proposed resolution would have no effect.

"Everybody (on city staff) knew what we were trying to do and no one spoke up," she said. "To lose a heritage property on a technicality pisses me off."

She also wouldn't be surprised if some on council who supported demolition suggested that option to Dencev.

"I'm not shocked," she said.

The cause wasn't lost entirely until council voted again Sept. 15, this time with the wording recommended by city lawyers. But the effort to designate fell one vote short after Coun. Paul Hubert switched his position.

Hubert said he made the switch after touring the building. "There was not much there worth preserving," he said.

Dencev says he plans to demolish the Brunswick as soon as possible, hopefully before the end of October. And he thinks it's unfair some paint him as an enemy of heritage.

Dencev says he's spent $300,000 improving the Richmond Hotel and previously restored properties on Wolfe Street.

"I'm from Europe. I appreciate old buildings," he said.

Dencev has been criticized for seeking immediate demolition after telling the planning committee he was earning money on the building and didn't plan to demolish it for another five or six years.

The issuing of the demolition permit left the city's heritage planner upset about how the process unfolded.

"I won't say a comedy of errors, but a lot of things have intervened," Don Menard, a member of a heritage committee, said last night after it met to compile reasons to designate the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Capitol deal would cost city dearly
Thu, September 25, 2008
Controllers back facade-saving leasing plan

By JONATHAN SHER

London's board of control wants to preserve the facade of the Capitol Theatre by leasing the building at rates well above those of other downtown buildings, a lease that would cost taxpayers $5.6 million over 20 years.

Controllers yesterday backed the proposed deal with landlord Shmuel Farhi, who once threatened to bulldoze the core landmark unless the city leased space there.

While the cost comes at a premium, more than double what the city paid per square foot to lease space from Farhi at the Citi Financial building, controllers said it was worth it to preserve and enliven a building so central to both the city's past and future.

"There's going to be increased costs. That's simply the reality we have to accept," Controller Gord Hume said.

The city has struggled for decades to improve Dundas Street and the deal with Farhi, which also preserves the facade of the adjacent Bowles Building, is an important step toward accomplishing that, he said. "It gets more people living on our main street."

A year ago, Farhi offered to give the city the building in return for a tax receipt -- a deal city hall rejected for fear of rehabilitation costs.

Instead, council directed the city's financial chief, Vic Cote, to negotiate lease terms, a process he said yesterday was a formidable challenge.

"We learned a lot by going through the process . . . about what it takes to renovate a heritage property," Cote said.

That was clear from the numbers. In January, Cote estimated a 10-year lease might cost between $1.15 million and $1.6 million, but the proposed deal calls for $5.6 million over 20 years -- or annual payments of $280,016.

That works out to a base rent of $22.90 per square foot, compared to a lease for the Citi Financial building of $9.18.

In a report to controllers, Cote paints a grim picture for attracting new office space downtown:

- The vacancy rate of office space downtown is 15 per cent.

- The market rent pays only a fraction of what would need to be collected to offset the costs of building new office space -- a gap of 33 to 43 per cent.

- It's even costlier to renovate heritage buildings.

"If the city is simply looking for office space, there are considerably less expensive alternatives in existing buildings," Cote wrote. "However, if the city wants to serve as a catalyst for heritage restoration and preservation along Dundas Street, the 20-year leasing proposal . . . appears reasonable."

Controller Gina Barber expressed reservations. "We have poured a lot of money into downtown and it looks like we're pouring more money for the foreseeable future."

If council approves the lease Monday, Farhi would renovate the building and provide 8,190 square feet of office space to the city. The city would also have the option of extending the lease beyond 20 years at much lower rates -- $7.95 a square foot for the third decade and $5.95 for a fourth.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

NOT worth the money.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 6:59 PM

Quote:
I am surprised that Western's construction projects are not included in the figures (perhaps due to start dates?). There are cranes everywhere here on campus.
Any idea what they're building next to The Spoke?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:16 AM
Londoner

Richmond Row just got a little spicier

Richmond Row got a little spicier last month with the opening of the Picante Restaurant.

The establishment at 691 Richmond St. features authentic central and south American cuisine.

The restaurant is owned and operated by Marcelo and Claudia Horat and their son Walter. Grandparents Julian and Esther Corradi help out in the kitchen.

The family spent many years in the restaurant business in Argentina. They moved to London in 2005 after three years in the United States.

The family had been involved with another restaurant on Wellington Road after coming to London, but decided to move closer to the core.

"This is Richmond Row. This is where it's happening," said Walter pointing to the busy street, which has become the hub of nightlife in the city.

The menu includes familiar Mexican fare such as tacos and enchiladas. But there is also Churasco -- Argentinian-style grilled steak, as well as dishes from Nicaragua, Venezuela, Cuba, Bolivia and El Salvador.

The licensed restaurant also features tropical juices and even Central American soft drinks such as Inca Cola from Peru.

Picante has an outdoor patio and the interior displays artwork by noted Panamanian artist Oswaldo Deleon Kantule. His vibrant and colorful canvases showcase the world of the Kuna people who live in the rainforests of Panama and Columbia.

St. Marys goat cheese, Lake Huron perch and Perth County pork were some of the local organic products served up at special evening at Waldo's on King this week.

Mark Kitching recruited guest chef Steve James to create and prepare the menu items.

A growing number of restaurants and food retailers are promoting local, organic products because of their freshness and quality, and to support local producers.

"It's not so much a new trend as more people are jumping on the bandwagon. Steve James has been using local organic ingredients for 20 years," says Kitching.

The five-course meal, priced at $75 per person was served in three seatings at 7 p.m, 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Kitching plans to invite James back and make the special menu into a monthly event.
---

The Duke on Wellington is marching into space next door as part of a major expansion.

The Wellington Road eatery became independent this spring after ending its association with the Toronto-based St. Louis Bar and Grill chain.

The owners renamed the restaurant and the menu was expanded well beyond wings and ribs into seafood, steaks and pastas.

"As a franchisee, our menu was very narrow. We wanted to expand and improve," says manager Armoon Dehdezi.

The next step is expanding and renovating into the space next door in the building at 222 Wellington St.

The new space will feature an entertainment concept including a dance floor with live entertainment, pool tables, large-screen TVs and a VIP lounge.
Dehdezi says the new space should open sometime next month.

A new London web-based business is targeted at folks who like to order meals online.

Emealstogo.com works like an online food court allowing diners to choose from the menus of 15 London restaurants including downtown establishments such as Bankgok Pad Thai, The Jewel of India, Under the Volcano and the Symposium Cafe.

The customers can load up on items from one or more restaurants and arrange pickup or delivery.

The business was started up in June by Tarique Al-Ansari and Abdullah Saab, who met when they were engineering students at the University of Western Ontario.

Al-Ansari says the online service offers speed and accuracy in relaying the order to participating restaurants and fast food outlets.

There is no additional charge for the order or for pickup, but there is a delivery fee, usually $3.99. Al-Ansari says the delivery goes to the driver and the website makes money through a commission from the restaurant.

Al-Ansari says the business is now expanding into the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

Lovers of authentic British pubs suffered a setback with the recent closure of the Oxford Arms.

Robert and Claire Dunn opened the pub three years ago in a Victorian House on Dundas Street near Waterloo Street.
The pub offered 14 kinds of beer on tap and traditional pub fare.
Pamela Osobka, a server at the Symposium Cafe, stands by a banner advertising emealstogo.com.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:38 AM
Londoner

404 Feet from Downtown View From Crane

Update!!! Of Renaissance tower at King and Ridout
Watch this video it is one of the neatest of downtown London I've seen in a long time!!!!!!

http://www.lfpress.com/newsstand/Vid...d&rf=bmtarget= This one is from lfp!!

http://www.torontosun.com/video/home...f30c65b9e97e51 This one the from Sun!!!

Al Weiche steps into his office, 404 feet above the ground, after working momentarily on the rear of the construction crane. Weiche loves his job, mainly lifting huge hoppers full of concrete to pour walls and floors for the Renaissance tower at King and Ridout streets.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 3:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

ldoto, thanks for sharing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates