HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:22 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Thanks for the clear explanation dchan. I appreciate it.

So are beams equivalent to joists in home construction?
I believe so. Zensteeldude or others more familiar with home construction might know more about this than I do.

Interestingly enough, I think the truss structures in the original WTC buildings (which supported the floors and connected the outer structure and the core) were called joists.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Does anybody know if there's gonna be a sculpture like "The Sphere" around 1WTC plaza?
The original sculpture survived the collapse of the twin towers. It's currently located in Battery Park and will be returned to where it originally was once the Memorial is finished.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumeh View Post
The original sculpture survived the collapse of the twin towers. It's currently located in Battery Park and will be returned to where it originally was once the Memorial is finished.
Do you mean exactly where it once stood, somewhere north of the museum, or near the freedom tower?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I believe so. Zensteeldude or others more familiar with home construction might know more about this than I do.

Interestingly enough, I think the truss structures in the original WTC buildings (which supported the floors and connected the outer structure and the core) were called joists.
Funny, I'm reading a book about the history of Chicago skyscraper construction and they use all three terms, too. That's why I posed this question.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

I waiting of the year 2013. i must go to newyork.i must see the one world trade center and all other skyscraper.i think thats so cool to see the skyscrapers in N.Y

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:17 PM
JoeCooper

The new view from the obsevatory will be nothing like anyone could ever imagine!!! I am talking just in the year 2013 alone when it opens, I mean one will be looking down at not only what was other buildings there were to look at before including the WFC, The Woolsworth Building and others, but at the numerious spactacular additions that have gone up since 9/11/01 including the new 7WTC, 4WTC, Goldman Sachs, Beekman Place, W Hotel, and Barkely Street Condos!!! It will be a very romantic scene when one will dine at night in the new restaurant!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Do you mean exactly where it once stood, somewhere north of the museum, or near the freedom tower?
The sphere in its original location would just about sit in the middle of the new greenwich street. While it will almost definitely will return to the site somewhere, it won't be exactly the original location. While it did survive the collapse, it did come out damaged, and so it is much more likely they'll place it near the memorial as opposed to tower 1.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Zensteeldude, I couldn't think of a better person on this board to ask this question...

What's the difference between a girder and a beam?

Always bugged me...

Thx
dchan covered it rather well.

But if you really want to get technical,(I always do ) in steel construction, a beam is any rolled shape used in a horizontal position. A girder is any horizontal fabricated shape used in a horizontal position.

For example a Wide flange 44"x244 lb. rolled shape is a beam, a 24 inch I section made up from 3 plates welded together is a grider.

Quote:
So are beams equivalent to joists in home construction?
Yes, the big difference is wood joists are spaced 16" on center and steel beams are usually placed 5 feet on center. (Steel decking is MUCH stiffer than 3/4 inch plywood.)

In everyday use there are 3 kinds of beams that makeup the floor structure of a building, spandrel beams are on the outside perimeter of the building, floor beams run between columns on the interior and filler beams run between the floor beams.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
The sphere in its original location would just about sit in the middle of the new greenwich street. While it will almost definitely will return to the site somewhere, it won't be exactly the original location. While it did survive the collapse, it did come out damaged, and so it is much more likely they'll place it near the memorial as opposed to tower 1.
And it's currently serving its days at Battery Park for anyone who wants to see it. It may or may not be returned to the museum.

joe3292

firebird23

nandokanarski

calrog

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 2:05 AM
Honored Member

Nice pics !

Before you know it Tower One well be the tallest building in lower Manhattan !!!!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Before you know it Tower One well be the tallest building in lower Manhattan !!!!
It's already sneaking its way up the food chain. Come spring, people who never go Downtown will be shocked that its as far along as it will be. For so long this tower has been just a concept, but the reality is taking shape before our eyes.

And by the way, all of the photos of this tower under construction will become classics. Every day is unique. Never again will we see this tower in this form. Once built, it's built. But we were around to see it rise, and will keep that memory (along with the thousands of photos... )

matt-r

EarlTPpics

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 3:21 AM

when will it become the tallest in lower manhattan? around 7/2011?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
when will it become the tallest in lower manhattan? around 5/11?
i was think February or March

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 3:30 AM

Now its about 54 feet per month. 4 floors.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:55 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

even out here in southern california, everyone has no idea whats going on..i take pics and show them and they are amazed...i am on here about 10x a day... will be there in december and will take alot of pics with my d-300...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Now its about 54 feet per month. 4 floors.
Excuse my stupidity on this subject. So each floor/story is 13 1/2 feet?? Is that the "norm" for all buildings?? Also, 4 floors a month equals 1 floor per week...is that the right speed??? (it seems slow, but I have noooo concept of the amount of work going into this). I'm assuming the work going into this building is above and beyond any building codes because of what happened on 9/11.

Anyway.....thanks again to all those who contribute photos here. It's a great site that I visit a few times a day.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
even out here in southern california, everyone has no idea whats going on..i take pics and show them and they are amazed...i am on here about 10x a day... will be there in december and will take alot of pics with my d-300...
in southern california, no one ever knows whats going on, it's that new law y'all passed out there i think........keep 'em up to date as best you can!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
Most people don't have a clue, and it's extremely disappointing. To them it's just a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:15 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Most people don't have a clue, and it's extremely disappointing. To them it's just a hole in the ground.
I have this problem with people in Austin. I go to NYC a few times a year for work and try and swing by to see the construction and all of my friends think it is just a giant hole in the ground still.

I show them photos and explain it would already dominate our skyline were it being built here.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:24 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

everyone is amazed to see the progress when i show them the updates....and the completed look as well.......when i'm there 1 wtc should be around 52-54 give or take i will send all my photos to NY GUY or ZEN so they can post them for me.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive