HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Interesting, I hope they get them up and running for the summer.
Well they may have already changed it. They just turned the fountains on, and they are noticably lower then on Friday but the kids who are out there are having fun running through them.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:06 AM

And they've changed the programming for the colors as well. There was actually a guy from Parks sitting with a laptop adjusting things when I was over taking some new video earlier this evening.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 10:49 PM
The City That Moves

Mersar, you should try to hack that ground fountain's LED and water pressure SCADA system. It would make for an entertaining party trick. Thanks for sharing the videos.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 12:07 AM

Heres the video from last night with the different color pattern.

Video Link

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 8:14 PM
City of Blinding Lights

cool fountain.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 6:54 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Took this today from the 5th floor of the Sheldon Chumir, I was there for Littletime to get her 12 month shots:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 7:04 PM

You should post that in the Beltline group on Facebook.

They've been doing some concrete work by the Parks office (essentially dug up all the sidewalk) and I could see them out with the concrete cutter doing something on the north sidewalk near 4th street as well this morning.

And its being noticed by the film industry as well, there was a notice taped to the front gate of my building yesterday that they are filming scenes for a movie in the park next week.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 7:09 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

There was a film crew set up at the Kahanoff centre this morning also.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 7:32 PM

Quote:
There was a film crew set up at the Kahanoff centre this morning also.
They're still there.

The park looks pretty good from the 5th floor, I'm impressed with the renos. They are replacing a lot of the sandstone on the old school building in Haultain park right now, that looks good too.

Speaking of Haultain park, anyone know if they are planning on planting grass on that big patch of dirt in the middle? it looks pretty dumb to have that spot fenced off in a brand new park.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 7:33 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I know they are doing the Haultain/Scarth Street festival again this year, Sunday September 12th starting at 11am. Should be a good time, it was fun last year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 6:54 PM
Editor

Quote:
I know they are doing the Haultain/Scarth Street festival again this year, Sunday September 12th starting at 11am. Should be a good time, it was fun last year.
Good to hear. I'm definitely going to try to be there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 7:23 PM
Here and There

A construction crew is ripping out the some of the freshly poured concrete near the new cafe and other building today. The concrete was in bad shape from shoddy concrete work last fall. I hope it wasn't poured in near-freezing weather like half of the other projects in the city lately where the concrete has deteriorated....... 16th ave nw, crowfoot park and ride for example.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:08 PM

You can pour concrete in sub zero temperatures, it just has to be a low water mix.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:18 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
You can pour concrete in sub zero temperatures, it just has to be a low water mix.
Yeah, but it is not ideal. Half the workers dont even know what they are doing or dont care (keep that in mind). Maybe that is changing not that people have to fight for work these days.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yeah, but it is not ideal. Half the workers dont even know what they are doing or dont care (keep that in mind). Maybe that is changing not that people have to fight for work these days.
Temperatures can be below freezing when concrete is being poured nearly half the year, and a lot of time it's not feasible to wait for warmer temperatures, so that leaves 2 options. 1 use a specific mix or 2 use hoarding and heat the area. If you are doing a sidewalk, then it's not feasible to hoard and heat it so you have to use a special mix.

That being said, there is no excuse for the concrete in a high profile area like Memorial park to be cracking and spalling already, so there was something wrong with either how it was mixed or poured and whoever screwed up is probably eating the cost.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:36 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Temperatures can be below freezing when concrete is being poured nearly half the year, and a lot of time it's not feasible to wait for warmer temperatures, so that leaves 2 options. 1 use a specific mix or 2 use hoarding and heat the area. If you are doing a sidewalk, then it's not feasible to hoard and heat it so you have to use a special mix.

That being said, there is no excuse for the concrete in a high profile area like Memorial park to be cracking and spalling already, so there was something wrong with either how it was mixed or poured and whoever screwed up is probably eating the cost.
I guess I would just like to get to the bottom of all of the crap concrete poured these days...it is unnacceptable! Some of the cost does make its way back to the city in the form of change orders and supervision.... Thank you for the reply.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 6:59 PM

I've noticed that too. The last several years this city has been terrible generally speaking with concrete pours. They look terrible from an aesthetic perspective (poor quality float and finish work), and they hold up poorly over time. Not to mention how many ares get poured, only to a couple years later come back and require cutting and repouring.

They were redoing some sidewalk work in Bridgeland in the Bridges area last weekend. For the life of me I don't know why, they repoured a couple curbs that were already wheelchair accessible, and some concrete road edge sections in small little 4-5 foot sections.... Wasn't this concrete just poured a couple years back? And its not like there was anything really there anyways, just empty lots for the most part... I mean once construction is done and its all filled in I can see having to re pour some destroyed during construction but now.... ?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:29 PM

This lack of construction quality and quality-control is exactly why I'd stay away from any new construction condos from the boom times. If this is the type of shoddy work that goes on in high-visibility areas like a public park sidewalk, I can just imagine the crap work being done on areas that nobody sees. I wouldn't be surprised to hear these quality issues surface in a few years from all the various condos out there...

Shame that pride in construction is no longer the norm, but the exception. It's not just a Calgary-specific issue either...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 9:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

Considering there is original 1906 sidewalk concrete just a block or 2 south on 2nd street that's still in fine shape I would have to agree!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Considering there is original 1906 sidewalk concrete just a block or 2 south on 2nd street that's still in fine shape I would have to agree!
That's the NW corner of 2nd st and 15th avenue, right by my apartment, there are actually 104 year old dog prints in the concrete too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues