HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:54 AM

Went through US transborder Thursday at 6 am – it was packed to the gills security with the line backed up onto the bridge. Luckily I have Nexus – but this planned expansion needs to happen soon. It was ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 12:43 PM

^ I was always a little surprised by how small the transborder area is. It's fine if there are no more than 1 narrowbody or 2 regional jets at once.... But any more than that, and look out. It's like they didn't contemplate additional flights at all.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:44 PM

Yeah they had the secure area open all the way to gate 4 but the lines at security were nuts, and the 1 restaurant was full and slammed. Also that restaurant "Urban Crave" is revolting.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:57 PM

^ Better than the previous TGI Friday's

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Better than the previous TGI Friday's
TGIF was in the main part of the terminal where there's tons of other options. And honestly, I don't think it's any better – maybe even worse.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:08 AM

Quote:
^ I was always a little surprised by how small the transborder area is. It's fine if there are no more than 1 narrowbody or 2 regional jets at once.... But any more than that, and look out. It's like they didn't contemplate additional flights at all.
Have to remember the original plans of the building was so have one central security and where Starbucks is where US Customs was suppose to be... but when Transport Canada was like nope they made that closet for Transborder security and kicked the airline offices out.
The expansion of the building has been for the gates not once have they said anything for security sadly... the only thing they might add to security is a US Quick Connect Bridge by Starbucks to enter security for connecting pasenegrs to the US.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:13 PM

The staff of the US preclearance really need better training. I have a Nexus card and on a recent flight the boarding pass clearly said "TSA PRE" in huge letters on the top yet the staff directing people completely missed that and it was only my asking that got us directed to the correct line.

That said the screening procedures for TSA Pre/Nexus would do wonders for speeding up the general US preclearance queue if they could be expanded over there. Heck even if they pushed everyone through and did more secondary in the general queue it could help.

One of the other things that could help is if there was more staggering of US bound flights so there wasn't a large wave all at once in the early morning. If travellers were more spread out throughout the day it would be easier to handle the current workload.

--

In terms of airport expansion, the plans I have heard are more focused on improvements on aircraft that currently cannot use the gates. Either the larger planes that use ground level gates and the hallway off the west side of the arrivals terminal or those that still use the Ferry Rd terminal bringing them to arrive/depart from the main terminal area. The goal there is improving service/connection for rural/remote flights.

The other change that has been mentioned is a quick connect for arrivals connecting to US flights. That would of course benefit some of those rural/remote flights.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
One of the other things that could help is if there was more staggering of US bound flights so there wasn't a large wave all at once in the early morning. If travellers were more spread out throughout the day it would be easier to handle the current workload.
I know I've mentioned it before, but I nearly missed a flight last winter on a Saturday morning when there were 3 US-bound flights leaving within 10 or 15 minutes of each other and another regional jet (UA, maybe)shortly before that too. IIRC it was 2 WestJet 737s and a Delta regional jet. There was a line right out to the door and it was moving at an excruciatingly slow pace. Then on the airside the modest seating area was jam packed.

Then after that I don't think there was another US bound flight for another hour and a half or so.

On a subsequent flight, the security staff acknowledged that Saturday mornings were a gong show at transborder with people missing flights, etc. I have since learned to avoid Saturday morning transborder departures.

I realize that WAA has to accommodate airline schedules but it's crazy to overwhelm your small transborder area with passengers in such a tight timeframe.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:53 PM
jammon member

Quote:
I know I've mentioned it before, but I nearly missed a flight last winter on a Saturday morning when there were 3 US-bound flights leaving within 10 or 15 minutes of each other and another regional jet (UA, maybe)shortly before that too. IIRC it was 2 WestJet 737s and a Delta regional jet. There was a line right out to the door and it was moving at an excruciatingly slow pace. Then on the airside the modest seating area was jam packed.

Then after that I don't think there was another US bound flight for another hour and a half or so.

On a subsequent flight, the security staff acknowledged that Saturday mornings were a gong show at transborder with people missing flights, etc. I have since learned to avoid Saturday morning transborder departures.

I realize that WAA has to accommodate airline schedules but it's crazy to overwhelm your small transborder area with passengers in such a tight timeframe.
I agree. I'm not sure what the solution is for that problem because it is a sporadic problem. I travel through the transborder area a fair bit and the only times it really is a problem is during peak winter travel times and early mornings. If you look at the transborder statistics, I'm not sure the numbers justify expansion...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:56 PM

It isn't really a "solution" but perhaps tweaking the pre-clearance area to have a snake line for the non TSA PRE travellers could help some. YWG could also see if they are allowed to undertake a bit of a public awareness campaign in the community on the Nexus program. Honestly the $50/5 year pass is really worth it even if you only travel a couple of times a year.

For those that don't know Nexus gets you streamed into a different screening line for both US Pre-Clearance and the general departures side at YWG.

On the US side anyway you leave all your electronics in your bag, including your laptop, and you don't need a special laptop bag either. You keep your shoes on and your carry-on approved liquids can stay in your bag. Most of the time you walk up to the security screen, place your carry-on items on the belt and just walk through the metal detector. It really is that simple. It is also common that the people in those lines have taken time to make themselves aware of the screening process and come prepared to make it go quickly.

I know us Nexus people like the be all "fight club rules" and not really talk about it to keep out lines short but we will consider you friends and let you in the know.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

In case anyone missed it, Flair is adding flights to Vancouver and Calgary.

http://winnipegsun.com/news/provinci...-route-network

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 10:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

AC267 is on a 763 today - is that storm recovery related or a new thing?

Last edited by jmt18325; Apr 18, 2018 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:46 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
AC267 is on a 763 today - is that story recovery related or a new thing?
Looks like it was a one-time deal. They are back to the A319/A320's again.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 12:39 AM

^ I noticed some tweets about the Dreams Take Flight trip to Orlando... That was the reason for the 767.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:30 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
^ I noticed some tweets about the Dreams Take Flight trip to Orlando... That was the reason for the 767.
I was surprised to see it rolling by while I was waiting at gate 8. Checked where it came from but didn’t bother to look at what it was doing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:59 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4166707/w...r-record-year/

Interesting article by Global News today.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:47 PM

^^ Trying to pitch a direct flight from YWG to New York City might have the numbers to back it up but the risk of AC or WS leaking travellers connecting on the Europe is likely too big to make it a viable business choice for either one. Most of the American carriers are being pushed hard to service their own domestic market. If WS hadn't started their trans-ocean flights there might have been a chance.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:28 AM

Maybe Westjet can squeeze one in at LaGuardia. There is no overseas connections there. Or United at Newark. Or even Flair; they could fill a 737 and charge $800 return. I would pay.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:21 AM

Perimeter restrictions at LGA. Best bet is EWR; still a long shot. More flights to ORD and 2nd to DEN probably a better fit. Would be nice to see AA from ORD or DFW.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Perimeter restrictions at LGA. Best bet is EWR; still a long shot. More flights to ORD and 2nd to DEN probably a better fit. Would be nice to see AA from ORD or DFW.
DFW? It's funny because I was just talking to someone today about how Dallas is big, and not too far, but so far off of our mental maps in Winnipeg. It would be great for South American connections or just AA connections, but I have only heard of a handful of people ever going there for work or pleasure. I would think a direct to Atlanta or even Nashville (not just because of hockey) would do better. This is just opinion based on anecdotes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan