HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 6:46 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Sarko's €35bn rail plan for a 'Greater Paris'
By John Lichfield, Wednesday, 29 April 2009
The Independent

A driverless, 24-hour, regional metro system, in the shape of a giant figure eight, will connect Paris to its troubled suburbs by the year 2020, President Nicolas Sarkozy announced today.

M. Sarkozy promised a recession-busting, €35bn investment in new and existing rapid transit systems to help to create a single "Greater Paris" from a jumbled conurbation of 12,000,000 people in the space of 10 years.

"The economic crisis can only be beaten by grand projects," M. Sarkozy said. "There could be no grander project than to create a Greater Paris."

In a speech inaugurating an exhibition of ten architects' visions for a "Grand Paris", President Sarkozy also promised a drive to create a million jobs in the Paris area over 20 years and to build 70,000 homes a year in the capital and its suburbs. He called for a brand new underground station for high-speed, long distance trains at La Défense, just west of the city proper, and the plantation of a new forest near Charles de Gaulle airport to absorb carbon emissions.

There would also be a need, he said, for new "monuments" to rival the Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe. These would be constructed outside the present city boundary to create the image of a single, dynamic, greener and larger "Paris for the 21st century".

To the disappointment of some, and delight of others, M. Sarkozy side-stepped the anguished question of whether to establish a new political entity for a "Greater Paris", to match Greater London. He said that he wanted to create a "project" for the whole of the Paris area without becoming bogged down in political arguments.

Critics doubt whether a de facto Greater Paris can be achieved without an agreement on eroding the administrative boundaries between the city of Paris (pop 2,000,000) and its surrounding suburbs. President Sarkozy's suggestion yesterday that planning laws should be relaxed to allow the rapid building of new railways, homes and tower blocks also aroused deep suspicions.

The political and economic barriers and poor transport links between Paris and its "banlieues" contributed to the alienation and deprivation which fuelled the suburban riots of November 2005. The British architect Richard Rogers says that he knows "of no other large city in which the heart is so detached from the limbs".

Lord Rogers' team was one of ten invited by M. Sarkozy to put forward suggestions for the development of a "Grand Paris" for the 21st century. The ideas will be on display at the Grand Palais, off the Champs Elysées, from tomorrow.

In his speech opening the exhibition, President Sarkozy promised a ten year programme, starting in 2010 or 2011, to improve rail links between Paris and its two airports and hundreds of satellite towns. He offered Euros 21bn for the "Big Eight": a 130 kilometres (80 miles), driverless, 24-hour metro system in the form of two large loops, joining across the centre of the city.

The northern loop would have a branch to Charles de Gaulle airport and would also – with heavy symbolism - pass through the troubled towns of Montfermeil and Clichy-sous-Bois, where the 2005 riots began. The southern loop would link the centre of the city to, amongst other places, Orly Airport and Versailles. President Sarkozy also promised another Euros 14bn for the extension and re-equipment of existing Metro, regional metro (RER) and suburban railway lines.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-1676196.html

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 6:51 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

A other picture of our newest rolling stock the MF01

One of these has LCD screens.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:32 AM
Content provider

^nice

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:58 AM
@x@ ~ xW

I was just on one of the new ligne 2 trains and they are quite nice.

Minato Ku - I was just on a new train on ligne 13 that was only slightly different on the inside than those of ligne 3. That is to say, the triple-pole in the centers of the train with the LEDs at the top along with a softer lighting and practically the same seating layout. Are they set to replace the entire rolling stock of ligne 13 with these trains / are they the same model as those of ligne 3?

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Now if they could just get a rail line out to Beauvais, I could fly ryanair without having to travel into Paris on a filthy bus and dropped off at a parking lot at midnight, and having to return to that very same parking lot at 5 am two days later. No good.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 12:12 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford View Post
Minato Ku - I was just on a new train on ligne 13 that was only slightly different on the inside than those of ligne 3. That is to say, the triple-pole in the centers of the train with the LEDs at the top along with a softer lighting and practically the same seating layout. Are they set to replace the entire rolling stock of ligne 13 with these trains
The "new" trains of the line 3 and 13 aren't new, these are refurbished trains.
Yes the whole rolling stock of the line 13 should be refurbished as the whole rolling stock of the line 7 and 8 that use the same rolling stock.
Yet there is a long delay, the whole line 13 rolling stock should be refurbished by 2008.
Actually only 23 trains out 68 are.

We have the same probleme for the MF01 of the line 2.
The whole rolling stock line 2 of the line 2 should be MF01 for 2010, yet in mid 2009 only 16 out 45 are in the line.

Quote:
are they the same model as those of ligne 3?
The rolling stock that serve the line 3 and 13 are different.
The line 3 is served by the MF67 build in the end 60's early 70's
The line 13 is served by MF77 build in the end 70's early 80's

MF67 refurbished

MF77 refurbished

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 12:42 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

MF88

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 3:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Woah, that's one of the shabbiest Metro stations I've seen—reminds me of 190th/Overlook in NY.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:10 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Porte des Lilas in the line 11 is worse, at least this on has proper lighting.
I will post a picture later.

Good news for those who find Chatelet les halles confusing (so everybody), the station should be heavily refurbished by 2015.
New entrances, new hall, reorganized main RER hub...
Work will begin in 2011.

http://www.stif.info/IMG/pdf/Reamena...des_Halles.pdf

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:19 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Porte des Lilas

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Porte des Lilas connect the line 11 at the smallest at least used line of Paris metro

The 3bis was the eastern side of the line 3. (opened in 1921)
In 1969 the line 3 was extented to an other easter route (Galleni) and this part became an independant small line.
The line 3bis is build at deep level, Pelleport, Saint Fargeau and Porte des Lilas stations have elevator.

Gambetta

Pelleport

Saint Fargeau

Porte des Lilas

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:38 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah Chatelet is way confusing. I'm usually pretty good at finding my way around transport stations and hubs but I must say me and my girlfriend wasted about 10 minutes just making sure we were going in the right direction. We made it to Denfert-Rochereau on the B just fine though once I got my head around the place.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 2:50 AM

dude, I was just in Paris, and the metro there is GREAT.

Those trains were coming ever 3 minutes to every part of the city.

Walked and took train everywhere, no need for a car in any way.

Nice job guys!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 7:32 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

The oldest and busiest line of Paris metro, 16.6km and 722,000 passengers per day, will become driverless by 2012.

This is the first MP05 that will serve the driverless line 1.
Some will also run in the 14.
The design is the same than the MP89 CA (driverless train that run on the line 14) but the motors are different.
Trains will be air-conditioned and will have LCD screen.

The MP89 CC (with driver) that run on the line 1 will move in the line 4.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 7:33 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Here a test in Berault station of the new station signage for the line 1.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 4:36 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Extention of the

The line 10 is the last used line of Paris metro (excluding the little bis lines), it run between Boulogne Pont de Saint Cloud in western inner suburbs and Gare Austerliz in central Paris.
The first project was to extend the line 10 to Gare Austerliz at Gare de Lyon 600m further in the east.
With the residencial and commercial development of the old industrial district along Gare Austerliz tracks there is an other option : to go in the south.

This map misses the RER D with a new station planned near Porte de Bercy.

After Austerliz the line 10 could serve.
  • Chevaleret
  • Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand
  • Porte de France or Bruneseau
  • Optional station (without name)
  • Gambetta (I hope they will change the name as there is already a metro station named Gambetta)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 6:21 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Pont de Neuilly
The installation of PSD in this station started.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 11:24 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Mobiles as travel passes in Paris
June 17, 2009

PASSENGERS travelling on public transport in Paris will soon be able to use their mobile phones as a travel card.

It is hoped the technology, which will replace the current Navigo travel card (similar to that of the London Underground’s Oyster card) will be introduced by the end of 2010 for travel within Paris, on the SNCF Transilien trains and Optile buses serving the suburbs.

However, teething problems are expected as not all mobile phones will allow users to get through the metro barriers, meaning passengers will have to ensure they have compatible models fitted with what is known as an NFC chip.

This sort of technology is widespread in Japan.

Pilot tests have been carried out on transport and in shops in Caen and Strasbourg, and are planned for Nice in spring 2010 when 3,000 subscribers will be given the new phones.

In addition to equipping people with the new phones, another difficulty is putting the system into place.

President of the Ile-de-France region Jean-Paul Huchon said: “There is a very weighty set of criteria for the STIF (the Ile-de-France public transport executive), transport operators and mobile phone operators.”

Mobile phone operators will in effect have to agree to integrate applications allowing purchases or exchanges for tickets. However he assured the price of travel would not increase.

Mr Huchon said: “For the passenger, it will be the same price.”
http://www.connexionfrance.com/news_articles.php?id=881

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 9:05 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Arc Express
A metro ring line in inner suburbs, it is also called Metropherique.

The two first parts of the line (south and north) could open by 2017.

Northern part.

Southern part

Arc Express as whole

According estimation, this ring line would carry over 1 million passengers per day.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 6:24 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

More information about the renovation of Chatelet les Halles

Today

After 2015

A new big acces in Place Margerite de Navarre.

http://www.cabougedanslestransports....s-25-05-09.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation