HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
There already is overcrowding. When I went to Leboldus in the 80's, we had just over 600 students and portables in the back. Now, there are around 900 students, and the school hasn't grown since the 80's. Most kids in the east end do not want to go to Miller or Balfour. They want to go to Campbell or Leboldus. Both of my kids go/went to Leboldus.
Robag, what year did you graduate? I finished in '85. At that time, there were approximately 500 students.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I thought I had it right...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...eaping%20havoc

... I know classy source
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wreak

No worries though, we all knew what you meant. I don't know the pacific reason it's written that way.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
The solution is to enforce the catchment boundaries for all schools, so that both overcrowding and under-utilization are limited as much as possible. Parents in the southeast need to be sending their kids to F.W. Johnson (public) or Miller (separate) if those schools have the extra capacity to spare.
It would be nice, but they won't enforce catchment city-wide because they are too afraid of losing kids in the north central schools. If some kids are forced to go to the local school, they'll be in gangs or drop out. They bypass the closest school to avoid that.

My kids SE school is the biggest elementary in the city and has a ton of kids who should be going to school in Prairie Valley (Pilot Butte, White City, Vibank, Richardson, etc). Mostly it's parents who work in the city who want their kids in city schools. Then there are kids who are driven every morning bc they live in the NW and Normanview areas.

Demographics can't be predicted for school planning when you have that stuff going on.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
My kids SE school is the biggest elementary in the city and has a ton of kids who should be going to school in Prairie Valley (Pilot Butte, White City, Vibank, Richardson, etc). Mostly it's parents who work in the city who want their kids in city schools.
So do you know how that works with regards to education taxes? How do people who don't live within the city limits attend city schools? I assume the parents make a yearly payment to the Public school board to allow enrollment.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:03 PM

http://javapost.ca/news/hot-time-sum...city-of-regina
Some great pictures of the city

Hot Time, Summer in the City (of Regina).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:15 PM

http://javapost.ca/news/summer-in-wa...ere-its-coming
Summer in Wascana Park...hang in there, it's coming!

Some more amazing shots

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:19 PM

Is someone able to post these pictures I do not have a flickr account , thank you

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
So do you know how that works with regards to education taxes? How do people who don't live within the city limits attend city schools? I assume the parents make a yearly payment to the Public school board to allow enrollment.
Looks like they pay tuition, but I haven't been able to find any hard numbers.

http://www.rbe.sk.ca/sites/default/f...res/ap_315.pdf

The city removed a tree this week that had Dutch Elm. Question: do they plant elms anymore or are all trees planted now other varieties?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Question: do they plant elms anymore or are all trees planted now other varieties?
AFAIK the City has switched to planting green ash. The elms are too high maintenance and disease prone so they're never planted anymore.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
AFAIK the City has switched to planting green ash. The elms are too high maintenance and disease prone so they're never planted anymore.
City still plants elms, and local Landscape Architects still spec them. They have to be transported from disease free areas, so there is special paperwork, but they are still our fastest growing, best formed large tree, and with only two dutch elm cases this year so far, the risk of them dying before shorter lived ashes, maples, and poplars is low. The new street trees downtown on Albert between Vic and 13th are elms, Vic ave between Angus and Albert are too (not the crab apples in the median) and the trees on the 1800 block of Lorne are too. Half the trees on the plaza are elms. I believe that many of the street trees in The Creeks are also elms. Nurseries all over are working on cultivars that are dutch elm disease resistant.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 6:37 PM

Anyone know of any construction sites damaged by the storm last night?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Anyone know of any construction sites damaged by the storm last night?
FCC II had 6' of water.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 4:17 AM

Does anyone know what happened to the fountain that was in that was in the lake in front of the Leg? I sure miss it!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 4:23 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner2008 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the fountain that was in that was in the lake in front of the Leg? I sure miss it!
I think I've seen it on this year too, but maybe they turn it off/move it when there are competitions on the lake?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner2008 View Post
It's still there (and operating, as it was today - Sunday).
It is closer to the north side shore than it is to the Legislative Building.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoR East View Post
City still plants elms, and local Landscape Architects still spec them. They have to be transported from disease free areas, so there is special paperwork, but they are still our fastest growing, best formed large tree, and with only two dutch elm cases this year so far, the risk of them dying before shorter lived ashes, maples, and poplars is low. The new street trees downtown on Albert between Vic and 13th are elms, Vic ave between Angus and Albert are too (not the crab apples in the median) and the trees on the 1800 block of Lorne are too. Half the trees on the plaza are elms. I believe that many of the street trees in The Creeks are also elms. Nurseries all over are working on cultivars that are dutch elm disease resistant.
Interesting! Good to know. A friend of mine said he had a couple of elms die in front of his place (Regina Ave) and the city came by and planted green ashes in their place. He heard second hand that they were doing this all over the city to reduce the spread of dutch elm.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:55 PM

I believe the City is planting virtually no elms. There may be some test plantings for resistant strains.

One good news story is that we should be largely immune from the ash borer that is devastating cities in Ontario an Quebec. Apparently is starts to winter kill at temperatures below -30C. At least 30% of our trees are ash.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/emerald-...ario-1.1918100

Don't forget we have a thread for this:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211881

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
So far, I have heard of one business going into the old Canadian Tire on South Albert. Fionn MacCools will open sometime next year. It's an Irish pub chain from Atlantic Canada.
Fionn MacCools is one of Prime Pub's brands - they operate in Alberta & Ontario (primarily under the Fionn banner (21 locations), Ottawa has 4 locations under the D'Arcy McGee's banner; and there are 2 other locations under other names).

As far as chain pubs go, D'Arcy's feel more "authentic" than most faux Irish pubs.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
There already is overcrowding. When I went to Leboldus in the 80's, we had just over 600 students and portables in the back. Now, there are around 900 students, and the school hasn't grown since the 80's. Most kids in the east end do not want to go to Miller or Balfour. They want to go to Campbell or Leboldus. Both of my kids go/went to Leboldus.
I grew up in University Park. My grade 8 tour of Balfour actually convinced me not to go there. It was showing its wear, and seemed to have outdated/broken equipment. I toured Campbell -- seemed in better repair, had quite a bit of "modern" technology, etc... plus, all of my Univ Park friends were going to Campbell

For those students with a driver's licence, Campbell is actually quicker: high speed (Ring Road) with 1 traffic light (versus Arcola/College Ave & at least 5 traffic lights to Balfour).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:33 AM
Canadian Urbanite

The restaurant scene continues to expand downtown...

http://www.tasteofmediterranean.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan