HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 9:44 PM

Fanshawe Riots

Was anyone there? This is insane! How could it have escalated to this?

Video Link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...vandalism.html

Edit: not sure why the video won't display but there is a link below it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 10:13 PM

My Facebook news feed was flooded with comments about the riots this morning. One Fanshawe grad says she wishes the rioters burned her diploma, and another grad has stated that he will no longer donate money to the institution. I know a lot of Fanshawe grads and the general consensus among them is shame that they ever attended the institution. I personally wouldn't go that far, especially since many of the rioters (according to news reports) were not Fanshawe students. Still, there is no doubt that Fanshawe has had its image tarnished, and some parents may now think twice about letting their kids go to Fanshawe.

One of the problems Fanshawe continues to have is that it's an institution students don't want to be at when they don't have classes: when I was at Fanshawe I used to post on SSP about the "evacuation mentality" of students there. The administration has failed to put together on-campus events on weekends, something Western has no problem doing. This kind of thing could be reduced if Fanshawe had more on-campus events on weekends, that could be better controlled.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:16 AM

Saw it on TV today.

Shitty.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:18 AM

I'm curious to see how Rundle goes on these students (Fanshawe Grads). I expect a formal agreement with other Ontario colleges and universities to expell any students found with criminal charges here.

We seen the public response to how Vancouver handled the riot charges, so I think we'll see some quick implementation of fines, expulsions, and charges.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:51 AM

As an ex-Londoner I was floored. It really didn't seem possible this kind of thing could happen in nice, pleasant London.
Fanshawe always has been a bit isolated from the rest of the city but not just geographically. Fanshawe is one "the wrong side" of the tracks aka E.of A. while Western is a very old, prestigious, monied Ivey League school. Western was the school where parents from Westmount and Rosedale would send their kids to meet the "right" kind of people. Western has always been an intrical part of the city while Fanshawe has always been an also-ran. Yes, in some ways this is common in the relationships between universities and colleges but London's case is unique in the London was always a very WASP, white collar town and Western a bastion of old wealth on the city's leafy Northend.
In many ways Londoners still view Fanshawe as a place to learn how to get a job in Windsor. I know that seems very harsh but London has always had a rather stand offish sort of relationship with Fanshawe. Fanshawe and it's enviorns have never faired well in London's political, social, and economic establishment and this display will only make that situation worse.
Fanshawe has always had a pretty good reputation as a school but just not in London itself.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:32 AM

ssiguy, it seems that you are a bit out of touch with today's London. I know you used to live here and all but you clearly haven't for a very long time. London is no longer that white-collar waspy bastion with the great reputation. It is a city struggling with economic and social problems no different than Windsor, Sarnia, etc. I'm not saying this has anything to do with the riot (it was clearly just a bunch of drunken morons) but you often make London sound like a utopia that is 'better' than other cities and that's an outdated thought.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Fanshawe and it's enviorns have never faired well in London's political, social, and economic establishment and this display will only make that situation worse.
I don't know about that. Wasn't AMdeC-B a Fanshawe alumni? Isn't she back there again, as a prof?

And Blitz is correct about contemporary London.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
In many ways Londoners still view Fanshawe as a place to learn how to get a job in Windsor.
That one statement not only says something about how Londoners view Fanshawe, but how they view Windsor.

But it's nothing that I couldn't have already guessed.

Anyways, it's a crappy deal, what a way for the day to go down like that. It's probably the last thing London, or any city needs right now.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I don't know about that. Wasn't AMdeC-B a Fanshawe alumni? Isn't she back there again, as a prof?

And Blitz is correct about contemporary London.
When I was at Fanshawe a year ago, AMdeC-B was working in a PR role in the Marketing and Communications Office. I used to see her there as my then-job at Fanshawe had me in that office from time to time.

If she wanted, I'm sure she could teach in one of the broadcasting courses, given that she had a radio career before she entered politics. Just as long as her husband isn't teaching business there, I'm fine with that.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:53 PM
Torontonian Refugee

I actually heard about this on Toronto's Dean Blundell show this morning (radio talk show on 102.1). He kept making jokes about all the Fanshawe students being angry because they didn't "have any real career prospects", about how Vancouver was glad that it was no longer the "laughing stock of the country" and the like. Even though he's known for being an opinionated asshole, I would bet a lot of people share this opinion. The irony is many of these students probably weren't even permanent residents of London, they're just giving us a bad name.

And I second Blitz's comments. London hasn't had any real "old money" since Canada Trust moved out in the 1990s. The few that are left generally have most of their investments parked in Toronto. We're a struggling city with bleak economic prospects.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:07 AM

I know London has changed and it has large industries and no longer the preppy white city it use to be...........no question.
What I was saying was that London and Western have a very much shared history. Western is also reminisent of what old London use to be and much of the alumni of Western are part of the old wealth establishment that still runs the city. London's demographics and cultural/social landscape has changed greatly in the last 50 years but it still has a strong old wealth political and social structure intact.
Fanshawe came later and hence doesn't have the same historical relationship with the city and being on the "wrong side of the tracks" doesn't help.
One thing that has not changed in London in the last 50 years is the city's ability to ignore anything that happens E. of A. and this not helped Fanshawe become a more intrical part of the city.
What happened in London was shameful and I think London's neglect of that area of the city and Fanshawe's lack of sense of community and college life can be somewhat to blame.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
That one statement not only says something about how Londoners view Fanshawe, but how they view Windsor.

But it's nothing that I couldn't have already guessed.

Anyways, it's a crappy deal, what a way for the day to go down like that. It's probably the last thing London, or any city needs right now.
Yeah, I caught that too Symz. I think that many people from London have historically looked down on Windsor, which I suppose made them feel better about themselves and their city. Funny now that we're both much more similar than ever before, and that this attitude still exists today, regardless of what the reality is.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^permeates Academia. At UWO, UWindsor is often disparagingly referred to as the "University of Last Chance", whereas for Brock U, the saying is like "If you can walk, you can get into Brock". Fanshawe rates somewhere between Central secondary high school, a call-centre, and good old "Westervelt College!"

If you heard the commercial for W-C, you know what I mean.

Windsor, according to UWO faculty perceptions: Brock, according to UWO faculty perceptions:

fao, isntlifeterrible.com

Fanshawe, according to UWO faculty perceptions:

uaeclassifiedjobs.com [cute girl]
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:47 PM

So apparently some students are losing their summer work-term co-op jobs simply because they go to Fanshawe now. Some have been told that their previous hiring is gone, even though they weren't involved in the idiocy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^permeates Academia. At UWO, UWindsor is often disparagingly referred to as the "University of Last Chance", whereas for Brock U, the saying is like "If you can walk, you can get into Brock". Fanshawe rates somewhere between Central secondary high school, a call-centre, and good old "Westervelt College!"

If you heard the commercial for W-C, you know what I mean.

Windsor, according to UWO faculty perceptions: Brock, according to UWO faculty perceptions:

fao, isntlifeterrible.com

Fanshawe, according to UWO faculty perceptions:

uaeclassifiedjobs.com [cute girl]
Hilarious!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:13 AM

London, always looking' up to Toronto, and always looking' down on Windsor. Figuratively and geographically.

Back on topic, what's the arrest count at now?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
So apparently some students are losing their summer work-term co-op jobs simply because they go to Fanshawe now. Some have been told that their previous hiring is gone, even though they weren't involved in the idiocy.
My news contact at AM980 is VERY interested in this. If any of the offending companies can be identified, there may be a story. Any more information would be appreciated.

It could also spell PR disaster for these companies in London, especially if they're local companies. I know that if I were still in London, I'd be boycotting any company that refused to hire Fanshawe students - and there's a hell of a lot of other Londoners that would do the same.

Last edited by manny_santos; Mar 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
My news contact at AM980 is VERY interested in this. If any of the offending companies can be identified, there may be a story. Any more information would be appreciated.

It could also spell PR disaster for these companies in London, especially if they're local companies. I know that if I were still in London, I'd be boycotting any company that refused to hire Fanshawe students - and there's a hell of a lot of other Londoners that would do the same.
I have family members who go to Fanshawe (2 of them actually), and one of them texted me saying she heard this. Plus, there was this quote in the London free Press Article yesterday:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2...-19525386.html

Click the "We Asked" Tab.

There's the quote from this guy:

I'm actually pretty ashamed...I got a call (on Monday morning) from my co-op placement in Hamilton and they won't hire me anymore because I'm associated with Fanshawe." -- Brayden Swire (CRAIG GLOVER, The London Free Press)

Last edited by go_leafs_go02; Mar 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:21 PM

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../19530796.html

The names and charges are as follows:

Jacob Biggelar, 19, is charged with:

One (1) count of being a member of an unlawful assembly

Jordan DeRose, 18, is charged with:

Peter Donohoe, 19, is charged with:

Michael King, 19, is charged with:

Blaine Mills, 21, is charged with:

One (1) count of being a member of an unlawful assembly and two (2) counts of assault police with a weapon

Kory Puklicz, 19, is charged with:

Brian Garton, 25, is charged with:

One (1) count of obstruct police

Stephania Smieja-Henry, 20, is charged with:

One (1) count of obstruct police and one (1) count of resist arrest

Michael Moore, 20, is charged with:

One (1) count of being a member of an unlawful assembly and one (1) count of mischief under $5,000

Ryan McMahon, 24, is charged with:

One (1) count of being a member of an unlawful assembly and one (1) count of mischief under $5,000

One young offender, 15, is charged with:

One (1) count of being a member of an unlawful assembly.

One Young Offender, 15. is charged with:

One (1) count of being a member of an unlawful assembly and two (2) counts of assault police with a weapon

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Michael Moore, 20, is charged with:

Nothing like being part of a super-size-me riot.

The no-hiring of Fanshawe students has me really fired up, especially as a graduate of one of the graduate business programs there where we demonstrated our professional abilities to various real clients.

Last edited by manny_santos; Mar 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos