HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 8:58 PM

One thing different:

30 years ago, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING - without exception pretty much - was closed on Christmas. The only things operating were emergency services.

Today, at least a few stores, many restaurants, some pharmacies, many gas stations are open, and some companies even operate.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 5:02 AM
I am a typical

That's because today, people's expectations have changed. We want stores to be open 24/7/365. We want Sunday shopping. We want cheap everything.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 5:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

happy unboxing eve.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
One thing different:

30 years ago, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING - without exception pretty much - was closed on Christmas. The only things operating were emergency services.

Today, at least a few stores, many restaurants, some pharmacies, many gas stations are open, and some companies even operate.
Doesn't this all relate to the accelerating pace of life? Retailers have been at the forefront for decades and I wonder if this is really healthy for individuals or society in general that less and less there is time for a pause, some rest and time to focus on our friends and family. Yes, we all have choices but the relentless commercialization of everything makes it more and more difficult to make the best choices.

On Christmas eve, it was sad to watch the rush of traffic going to stores at 10 minutes before closing time. And then a commercial on tv of Boxing Day sales opening on-line at 8 p.m. Christmas eve. This is all about getting the competitive edge and greed.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 9:32 PM
video et taceo

once, we mitigated the excesses of the merchant class using religious observances and festivals. we mandated sabbaths and holidays, days of closure.

now, as this thread illustrates, both the decline of public faith and its impossibility in pluralist nations have turned these events into inconvenient anachronisms.

whether or not it is good for us, the non-denominational nature (in theory; in practice, it discriminates according to wealth) of consumer capitalism means that it is perfectly poised to expand its own traditions into those areas once occupied by others.

pluralism makes for good shopping. this has not gone unnoticed by those who try to steer such things.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 11:02 PM
Mooderator

Merry President Choice Christmas.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/opinions/carrefour/201005/21/01-4282764-le-choix-du-president.php

Just for MolsonExport -

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 3:45 AM

On Christmas Day I stopped at 7 Eleven for some gas on my way to my relatives' house and spoke with the guy behind the counter for a minute. He told me he loves working on Christmas - his family doesn't celebrate it (they are Sikh), so he's happy to work for double time pay and serve very few customers.

I think it's kind of silly that anyone expects (demands?) that everything stay closed on Christmas, just because they celebrate it. Not everyone celebrates Christmas like you do.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Merry President Choice Christmas.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/opinions/carrefour/201005/21/01-4282764-le-choix-du-president.php

Just for MolsonExport -

Video Link

memegenerator

I fucking hate Galen Weston. A shameless self-promoter and 100% dweeb.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

drdawgs

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:18 PM
Registered Drug User

This was a pretty good thread. Some good discussion last year.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
This was a pretty good thread. Some good discussion last year.
I just reread it too. That's pretty freaky!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 9:04 PM
ハルウララ

Back out East for Christmas. Compared to Ottawa everyone in New Brunswick says Christmas. No hesitation at all. Ottawa you PC bro?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 9:11 PM

I think we've passed peak PC-Christmas. It seems like people are more comfortable with wishing each other a Merry Christmas now than they were 5 or 10 years ago. At least, that's been my experience.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 3:51 AM
I am a typical

The lack of Merry Christmasses is a violence against my person. It makes me feel unloved and petite. I demand the world change itself to accommodate my sensitivities.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 4:21 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Christmas according to CBC.

Video Link

What does this even mean?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Merry Christmas Canada! May you all have a blessed and prosperous New Year!!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:12 AM

I feel like it has gotten less PC, especially this year. I noticed some of the Christmas cards I got from politicians actually say "Merry Christmas" this year, instead.
Some still do the "Happy Holidays".

A question to ponder. If you don't celebrate and follow the whole Jesus thing, then why celebrate Christmas? If you don't have the religious background to it, then it just becomes an excuse to buy gifts?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:30 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
A question to ponder. If you don't celebrate and follow the whole Jesus thing, then why celebrate Christmas? If you don't have the religious background to it, then it just becomes an excuse to buy gifts?
It's a social obligation regardless of your beliefs. You have to buy and give gifts, because it's Christmas, regardless of whether or not you are Christian. It's easier for obvious religious minorities to avoid that than white atheists, as we're assumed to be Christians since most white people "are Christians".

If I didn't get presents for certain family members at this time of year, they'd be disappointed, even though that's literally the only Christmas-related thing we do anymore.

Also, for kids, they'll feel left out if the other kids around them get presents and they don't, so parents are obligated to do it even if they don't celebrate Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 1:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Christmas according to CBC.

Video Link

What does this even mean?
What's wrong with it?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
I feel like it has gotten less PC, especially this year. I noticed some of the Christmas cards I got from politicians actually say "Merry Christmas" this year, instead.
Some still do the "Happy Holidays".

I've gone full pagan this year. Really celebrated the solstice and the 25th is the day to give gifts for the celebration of shorter nights and thoughts of spring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada