HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Much as I wish the planned new Colony Square luck with their revitalization, I remain skeptical. The area north of 14th. seems to be a kind of edge where the vitality and density of Midtown transitions into a semi-suburban quality. Colony Square did have restaurants and shops in the past, but (other than Tamarind Seed) just didn’t draw enough to sustain themselves. Just up the street the marginal success of 1280 is testimony of limited interest in dining in that area. Part of the problem is parking; the underground parking and other facilities are expensive. To go from this history to supporting 8-12 restaurants plus shopping is a real leap of faith.
Wouldn't you agree that Midtown is a very different place than it was even just a few years ago?

I think we tend to overthink things because we are seeing the city and neighborhood develop right before our eyes. I have a hard time believing that someone that lives south of 10th Street will view CS as out of reach less than a mile away. Colony Square will generate foot traffic because there is nothing else in Midtown today that is as much of destination as this will be.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Wouldn't you agree that Midtown is a very different place than it was even just a few years ago?

I think we tend to overthink things because we are seeing the city and neighborhood develop right before our eyes. I have a hard time believing that someone that lives south of 10th Street will view CS as out of reach less than a mile away. Colony Square will generate foot traffic because there is nothing else in Midtown today that is as much of destination as this will be.
Other than the movie theater, is any other retail confirmed? Midtown will have something like 4 food halls when this is complete (canteen at tech square, CODA, and caravaca market are the others). I’m not sure what else makes CS unique? The pedestrian plaza and proximity to piedmont? Genuinely trying to understand your perspective on this one. I wish it success, I’m just in the skeptical side of things in the interim.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Other than the movie theater, is any other retail confirmed? Midtown will have something like 4 food halls when this is complete (canteen at tech square, CODA, and caravaca market are the others). I’m not sure what else makes CS unique? The pedestrian plaza and proximity to piedmont? Genuinely trying to understand your perspective on this one. I wish it success, I’m just in the skeptical side of things in the interim.
Are there any restaurants confirmed besides what already exists? No because its still a long way from being complete. Yes I am assuming that it will include some retail that the neighborhood desres but that remains to be seen.

Yet regardless of the food hall count and the specific tenants, where else in Midtown can remotely rival around 200,000 sf of retail in one block? CS will easily have a greater concentration of retail than anywhere else in Midtown combined with an attractive "public realm" (not actually public) that it will be a generator of foot traffic. Like I said, I think some of us are overthinking this.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Are there any restaurants confirmed besides what already exists? No because its still a long way from being complete. Yes I am assuming that it will include some retail that the neighborhood desres but that remains to be seen.

Yet regardless of the food hall count and the specific tenants, where else in Midtown can remotely rival around 200,000 sf of retail in one block? CS will easily have a greater concentration of retail than anywhere else in Midtown combined with an attractive "public realm" (not actually public) that it will be a generator of foot traffic. Like I said, I think some of us are overthinking this.
How many square feet of retail does CS already have? The build is for 143,000, which includes the theatre (New) and gym (one had existed then shut down around last year... might be back open). What I’m trying to say is there’s a ton of retail there already and I’m not sure how much more retail they’re adding.

Edit: found a curved article saying it already has 163k sq ft of retail. Even if they are just shuffling around a bunch of the existing retail, maybe that’s a big part of their game plan to provide higher visibility to what’s already there and repurpose existing retail space (on other floors) for more office space...

Last edited by Street Advocate; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 9:19 PM

Why such skepticism???

IMHO, Colony Square (with the addition of the high-end movie theater and restuarants) will generate a lot of foot traffic and become another destination for residents and visitors to the city. People love to be the first to visit new and shiny venues, and this will be no different.

I used to work at the 1180 building across from CS, and now when I visit 14th and Peachtree streets are busy with people walking from West Peachtree to Peachtree for lunch and throughout the day.

Also, the nightlife on Cresent and Juniper streets creates a node that can only get better with the renovation of CS. Atlanta is getting that urban vibe and Midtown is leading the way. When the dual hotel opens up, there will be move millennials walking about the district.

Let's be patient and think positive about our rapidly changing urban environment.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 1:24 PM

I hope to be proved wrong on my skepticism on CS. However, it is difficult to see it as a destination sort of place (e .g. Ponce Market). Above 14th St. the “Midtown” character of Peachtree ends and it becomes less dense and is buffered by an area of high-end homes to the East and the Park. The Park brings in lots of people, but they are not shopping and if they look for places to eat they would gravitate towards PCM and the Beltline. To the West there is the whole development of W. Peachtree and Spring with the potential of Whole Foods drawing lunch crowds. In addition there is the pull of Atlantic Station with its easy and mostly free parking. We will see.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 2:49 PM

There's a broken heart for ev'ry light on Broadway
And a burned-out moth for ev'ry lamp, they say
Let us give them one more flight,
As we flick them out of sight,
As we set the tables for another day...
-Tom Vogler

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
How many square feet of retail does CS already have? The build is for 143,000, which includes the theatre (New) and gym (one had existed then shut down around last year... might be back open). What I’m trying to say is there’s a ton of retail there already and I’m not sure how much more retail they’re adding.

Edit: found a curved article saying it already has 163k sq ft of retail. Even if they are just shuffling around a bunch of the existing retail, maybe that’s a big part of their game plan to provide higher visibility to what’s already there and repurpose existing retail space (on other floors) for more office space...
The retail already there is in an enclosed mall that's hardly changed much for 50 years. If you can't figure out how the renovation will be any different then I don't honestly know what to tell you.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 1:43 PM

iPic's are one of the nicest theaters in the country. Huge win for Midtown assuming Disney keeps making Marvel and Star Wars movies.

We will see if they stick the Apple store there too. I know that has been the gossip since day 1.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:13 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-showcase.html
Quote:
North American Properties will bring Iselle Kitchen + Bar, a new Italian concept with West Coast flavors from Chef Chris Gentile, to the mixed-use development.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 10:04 PM

Building 100 lobby is now open

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:47 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:23 PM

I like how the southside steps turned out. Perfect place the other day for a little "William Whyte" rest

Here's the new corner stone celebrating 50 years

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:28 AM

Colony Square Lands $278M Loan

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/atl...nds-278m-loan/

Quote:
North American Properties and Lionstone Investments will use the financing to develop the next phases of Colony Square. The project is set to include entertainment, retail, restaurants and office space.

Phase II will include the development of additional office and retail space, the latter already 79 percent preleased to an anticipated food hall and experiential movie theater iPic. The third phase will include a 100,000-square-foot office tower—Building 500—with 18,000 square feet of ground-floor retail on the northwest corner of the site. The entire project is projected to be completed by 2020. Colony Square’s street-level component will boast a collection of unique-to-market retail and chef-driven restaurants, such as Iselle Kitchen + Bar.
Also a Brooklyn based espresso bar will apparently be a tenant.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 15, 2018 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:50 PM

300 Colony Square rendering

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 11:29 PM

Looks like they're filling in the parking drive thru with a pedestrian area! Big win for the area.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 11:48 PM

Yep. They relocated one of the webcams to show the progress on that side. https://app.truelook.com/?u=hc1507578266#tl_live

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Looks like they're filling in the parking drive thru with a pedestrian area! Big win for the area.
Nice. Every time I sat in traffic right there I hoped one day that would become a true sidewalk.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 7:56 PM

Whole Foods relocating South regional office to Colony Square

Quote:
Whole Foods will occupy the third and fourth floors of 300 Colony Square, an 87,500-square-foot building under construction as part of the well-known mixed-use property’s redevelopment.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...office-to.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta