HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 3:08 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I'm not sure why people are so optimistic about some of these projects, really. Approval takes time, and just because it's proposed, doesn't mean it'll happen just as it was presented initially. If the Hub is to happen, I'd give it until 2020 to hear much substantially in terms of marketing landmarks or what have you.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
They are not all approved and it was disengenous of you to say they were. The one thing this forum understands is the length of time it takes to get zoning approval. The Hub is from early this year. This is what drove me away from SSP. The list is already impressive. There was no need to pad it even more.

We have a very different opinion on likely to be built. The One is likely to be built now that a hole has been dug and concrete poured. The approved developments in the list remain unknowns with no sales or leases.
Negative Nancy strikes again. If your word was the gospel then half the towers in TO wouldn't be here! Im fully confident all of these proposals will see the light of day in some form.

THE ONE- u/c and moving forward

Pinnacle One Yonge- first tower already u/c , confident/reputable builder behind project. Im told they plan to build it. Its also APPROVED by the city

Mirvish Towers 1 and 2- already APPROVED by city, sold to Great Gulf which is a very reputable builder with full intention to build

YSL- pretty damn close to an approval, in pre-sales and selling very well. Reputable builder behind it. This one will go through mark my words. I can't wait to make you eat crow when it happens.

CC3- Already has part of the space leased out, and given the location it will have ZERO problems being approved.

THE HUB- still a newer proposal but it will be approved no problem. Will they lease it out? Thats the million dollar question. Oxford is behind it and we know they have lots of experience in office towers. They have a website that says "Coming 2023" and publicly said they are building it on spec. If the TO office market remains hot, I think it'll happen.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:52 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

What about Sugar Wharf? One of the towers is only 1 metre shorter than YSL...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:06 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 9:21 PM
Community Guy

...is that YYC or YVR in our shadow?

oh wait, both!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 9:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
...is that YYC or YVR in our shadow?

oh wait, both!
Lmao that's a mighty bland and poorly designed glass house you're throwing stones in

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Lmao that's a mighty bland and poorly designed glass house you're throwing stones in
Ha ha. A mighty bland and poorly designed, but still taller than Brookfield Place glass house.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 6:16 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Ha ha. A mighty bland and poorly designed, but still taller than Brookfield Place glass house.
Yeah, I don't mind at all really, considering Calgary has 7 buildings taller than their 2nd tallest, with one only 4 meters shorter than their tallest. There is literally no contest in the skyline department, if their "shadow" is just one tall stick, we have a forest No big deal at all, I prefer girth over length

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 6:26 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I think it's so awesome that Edmonton sneak up from behind and snatch the title of the West's tallest like that. It makes me wonder if we might see Edmonton actually surpass Calgary in overall skyline size and impressiveness over the next 40-50 years. It might seem far-fetched, but 50 years ago it might have seemed far fetched that Toronto could surpass Montreal's skyline size when Toronto has just completed a single taller tower (TD Tower, 1967). You just never know...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't mind at all really, considering Calgary has 7 buildings taller than their 2nd tallest, with one only 4 meters shorter than their tallest. There is literally no contest in the skyline department, if their "shadow" is just one tall stick, we have a forest No big deal at all, I prefer girth over length
Ya you don't sound insecure at all

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 9:09 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

The Well, Canada's biggest building construction site. Lots of towers coming up in this neighbourhood over the next 3 years:

by Daniel Araujo on flickr

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 1:07 PM
BANNED

I could care less about Stantec's height when you get to street level. Calgary blows Edmonton out of the water. There is too much decay around downtown Edmonton, namely the Quarters, the area north of Rogers Place, etc.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 3:15 PM

I think I like Stantec more IRL than I first did in the renderings. It looks good in an understated way, and the effect on the skyline is phenomenal.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 9:49 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
It's ok to feel defensive and insecure.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 11:29 PM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I could care less about Stantec's height when you get to street level. Calgary blows Edmonton out of the water. There is too much decay around downtown Edmonton, namely the Quarters, the area north of Rogers Place, etc.
Meanwhile Stantec does more for downtown than any single tower built in Calgary. The residents, the shops, the district itself will be a huge step forward for the chuck.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:12 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:27 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It's ok to feel defensive and insecure.
If I was defensive or insecure, I wouldn't have made a homoerotic sexual allegory in my scathing insult to your inferior tower

However, I do agree with Fortroad, that the street level is what makes the project. I look forward to seeing the plaza when it's open, and I do hope it's successful. Clean up all that blight with some eyes on the street

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:39 AM
Community Guy

See, you did it again.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:35 AM

Yes, Stantec's height is impressive, not so much is its utilitarian design, though the west aspect that faces into the plaza is okay in my books. I prefer the looks of the JW Marriott and its somewhat more articulated design. I really don't give a sh*t about the height hype, but great to see Edmonton rising up! Now, if the 80 storey Alldritt tower proceeds, I'm hoping for a decent looker of a design!

^^ Homoerotic sexual allegory, seriously dude ??

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRtower View Post
^^ Homoerotic sexual allegory, seriously dude ??
Yaaas my dude...

Some money shots by Orein2727 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/orein2727/?hl=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada