HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:27 PM

Goodness, more super cheap drinks?

Trying to lower thecommon denominator further looks like something a Guy that looks like that would do haha

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:51 AM

Black Market Provisions opening "soon" in South Osborne. They make small batch ice cream and are also the owners of Pop Cart (the handmade popsicle company). From what I hear they will be expanding their offerings and it may be somewhat of a boutique food store as well.

https://www.instagram.com/blackmarketprovisions/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:59 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^ I know those two, they are very hard workers.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well, much better than before. I like what they did with the decorative steel.

In other news the L shaped strip mall at Stradbrook is looking really nice. Unfortunate there's still a big parking lot out front, but the building is looking good. I like that they kept all the main signage uniform, then the tenants get to have nice branded pendant signs.
The fact that they've ripped out the fence that kept people from walking from the sidewalk to the stores is a huge step forward.

I've also heard that they're planning (or perhaps already have?) turned that lot into a pay lot, instead of having it reserved for the stores. So, it's still street facing parking, but at least it's not free street facing parking. And people can park there and wander beyond those three stores.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Black Market Provisions opening "soon" in South Osborne. They make small batch ice cream and are also the owners of Pop Cart (the handmade popsicle company). From what I hear they will be expanding their offerings and it may be somewhat of a boutique food store as well.

https://www.instagram.com/blackmarketprovisions/
It seems surprising to me that they'd open another fancy small-batch ice cream joint a couple blocks from Chaeban, but what do I know.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
The fact that they've ripped out the fence that kept people from walking from the sidewalk to the stores is a huge step forward.

I've also heard that they're planning (or perhaps already have?) turned that lot into a pay lot, instead of having it reserved for the stores. So, it's still street facing parking, but at least it's not free street facing parking. And people can park there and wander beyond those three stores.
I think that it could become a little public-ish square to make up for the fact that it isn't built up to the sidewalk. That would be better than allowing cars to park there.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:35 PM

La Luna, massage therapy in Osborne for ten years has moved to Roblin (apparently a "wrongful eviction"). Opens up some space.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
La Luna, massage therapy in Osborne for ten years has moved to Roblin (apparently a "wrongful eviction"). Opens up some space.
The La Luna space has already been turned into a Gong Cha (Taiwanese milk tea chain).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
It seems surprising to me that they'd open another fancy small-batch ice cream joint a couple blocks from Chaeban, but what do I know.
the fact that even on crappy weather nights, you can see a line up almost out the door at chaeban at 8pm shows there's appetite for more ice cream joints in the area IMO.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the fact that even on crappy weather nights, you can see a line up almost out the door at chaeban at 8pm shows there's appetite for more ice cream joints in the area IMO.
Chaeban is a heartwarming story, it's nice to see how it's taken off. I haven't been there yet myself but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Chaeban is a heartwarming story, it's nice to see how it's taken off. I haven't been there yet myself but I'm looking forward to trying it out.
it's a great alternative to dairy queen let me tell you and a great Winnipeg success story

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:34 PM

I keep forgetting to try Chaeban... gotta make my way down there...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Chaeban ice cream is amazingly good, it is just so rich you have trouble finishing it....they give you fairly large portions.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Chaeban ice cream is amazingly good, it is just so rich you have trouble finishing it....they give you fairly large portions.
Go with a friend or two and get a 'flight' to share.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 4:14 PM

Gong Cha is open and seems to be constantly busy.

Poutine King just opened this week.

109 Osborne now has a sign in the window -- "Small Mercies". Their instagram says 'jewelry. coffee. flora.':
https://www.instagram.com/smallmerciesco/

Pizza Heaven is now open in its giant new space. Very modern and clean. Quite a change.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 11:06 PM

180 Roslyn

(@ar_wmb) on Instagram

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
The La Luna space has already been turned into a Gong Cha (Taiwanese milk tea chain).
That was quick. The previous tenant says she was illegally evicted. I believe she retained counsel.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:16 AM

Looks like on the third floor of the Little Sister building, they're opening something called "Petopia". Lots of dog-related pictures on the windows. Another pet store? There has to be some sort of saturation -- Village Pet and PetSmart already there...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Coming attraction: Park Theatre getting facelift
By: Caitlyn Gowriluk | Posted: 11/26/2018 7:00 PM

A popular south Osborne music venue will soon have a new look.

In about three weeks, the newly bare-bones exterior of the Park Theatre at 698 Osborne St. will be replaced with a more contemporary wooden facade, digital signs and a brand-new rendering of its iconic flashbulb namesake sign.

"It’s something I’ve been working on for about five years," said Park Theatre owner Erick Casselman. "It’s what I’ve always wanted the Park to look and feel like."

Casselman said the old sign’s lights, first put up in the 1940s, had started to rust and became unsafe. While the new sign won’t twinkle like the old one did – so it doesn’t distract people or waste energy, he said – the replacement will have the same feel as the old one.

"You’re always going to try to play with it, or use the iconicness or the history of the building," said Casselman. "I’ve gone with a little bit of a different look and feel – something that will look more like what my vision is."

Casselman said the new digital signs he has lined up, for example, will allow the theatre more freedom in representing the acts it hosts.

"There’ll be screens instead of the marquee signs, but in a way that we can still make it look like an old-school marquee, or whatever kind of look and feel that we want for the particular act that’s coming in that night," he said.

The $250,000 in upgrades are just another set of changes in the 103-year-old building’s history.

The original theatre first opened in a much smaller building in 1915. The business changed hands several times before being expanded and rebuilt from the inside out in 1936.

The theatre closed in 1988, reopening for two brief stints in the late 1990s before the vacant building was seized by the city in 1999 after three years of unpaid property taxes.

In 2005, Casselman and a partner bought the property and spent about $400,000 on interior renovations. Casselman bought out full ownership of the theatre in 2011. Now, the Park Theatre hosts over 300 events annually, including live music, comedy and movie screenings.

Casselman said the upgrades were long overdue, and will help bring the theatre into the future with a more modern design.

"It hadn’t had anything besides a coat of paint in 30, 40 years – maybe even longer," said Casselman. "[People] don’t expect the inside of the building to look the way it does, or even appear as nice as it does, just because the outside was pretty run-down."

Casselman said he hopes the upgrades to his theatre will help revitalize the area.

"It’s not necessarily an investment that I think I’ll make money off of," said Casselman. "More importantly, it’s an investment in the neighbourhood... I’m trying to continue that progress of making south Osborne into a more viable place for businesses to come into."

Once the dust settles and the old lights, metal and stucco are cleared away, Casselman said he hopes the renovations will be finished by Dec. 15.

caitlyn.gowriluk@freepress.mb.ca

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...501284661.html

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
That all looks pretty garbage-y.

Anyone who wants to see what terrible garishness a "marquee-style" digital sign looks like, take a walk by the Walker/Burton Cummings Theatre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan