HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:33 AM
Fourth and Main

A new high-rise for downtown's IQ District?

351 North Patterson:
Wexford Science & Technology will be the developer for this 200,000 square-foot office building for creative and tech companies. The main entrance will be at Third Street and Patterson Avenue. Graydon Pleasants, leader of the IQ District's Real Estate Development, said "We have a couple of ideas and a couple of potential users." The building will be mixed-use, with retail and 200,000 square-feet of office space for creative and tech companies. They want to build something urban and modern that will create the mass needed for additional development on other neighboring sites they want to develop. It's across the street from Bailey Park and is at an entrance to The High Line bike and walking trail. This part of the High Line (Third Street) is proposed as a light rail stop, with a proposed rail transit line currently being studied for the rail next to the trail. The site is shovel-ready, but they don't have a construction start date at this time. Pleasants said they "will have a building as soon as we can get one up." Since they are in talks with two potential office tenants for this building, it's likely very close to breaking ground. The tenants will have a major role in the final design of the building.

Credit: Wexford Science & Technology

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:26 AM

Interesting to see a large office building proposed with One West Fourth having so much space available. This will be a true test to see if downtown can absorb more office space.

Really nice to watch the IQ mature.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:25 AM
Fourth and Main

It doesn't matter what other buildings are doing. It's about pre-leasing "your" space. 351 North Patterson is in the process of pre-leasing half of their proposed space and maybe more. Yes, they are in talks with two tenants. Everything in the IQ District seems to lease quickly. It's the most popular neighborhood, for employers looking for space, in the metro area. It's also expensive. I've read the office space is restricted to creative/research/tech companies.

Downtown's IQ District (Innovation Quarter) is 99% leased! Only 38,000 square feet of office and retail space is available. Just in 2018 alone, three buildings with around 300,000 to 400,000 square feet were proposed in the district and they appear to be meeting their pre-leasing requirements. They are also adding floors, due to high demand for the space. One of the three proposals will break ground in two months. All three are expected to be under construction by this time next year. That should be exciting to see, since they are all within a block of each other.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Downtown's IQ District is best known for its research in Regenerative Medicine. One of the regenerative medicine research labs appeared on TV, last week. It's a chance to see some of the science happening in the district and driving growth there. Wexford Science & Technology is preparing sites in downtown's IQ District to lease to tenants interested in working with these scientists and there are two bio-manufacturing districts being prepared for mass production of tissues and organs. A building in one of those two districts is already open with a tenant using this science. All of this is being constructed as mixed-use and they want it centered around a proposed rail transit line.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:25 PM

Well, it does matter to a certain extent. Office vacancy in a sub-market is always in consideration when proposing spec space. Now this building for the IQ may be slightly different since it's being marketed to a certain group(s). And it does sound like tenants are ready to sign.

I do believe downtown W-S is the hottest market in the entire CSA so I do have faith that it will be absorbed in a decent amount of time.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:34 PM

And I count 11 floors unless the ground floor is 2 levels. . Maybe demand will push it even higher?!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:10 AM
Fourth and Main

I think that building's problem is charging as much or more per-square-foot as the new buildings? It's among the most expensive buildings in the Triad and it's over 16 years old. Over the 23 or 24 years I've followed Winston-Salem development, every time a new office building is proposed someone makes "that post." Wexford Science & Technology has developed nearly 1.2 million square feet in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District in the past few years and now they are ready to start another project. This building is smaller than their other projects, which usually average 250,000 square feet. It's expected to be 12-storeys above Fourth Street, due to a required large filtration system to clean the air vented to the outside. These are on all of the science/tech buildings. If you're thinking it could grow in height, that is possible! Wexford Science & Technology developed a similar building in Philadelphia's University City Science Center District and it started as an 11-storey building, exactly like this Winston-Salem proposal, and grew to 13 floors with strong leasing.

Similar building in Philadelphia by the same developer that added two floors: https://technical.ly/philly/2014/09/...market-street/

351 North Patterson has doubled in size, due to strong demand, and I could see it adding another floor or two if demand remains strong. I think they also want a large concentration of tech offices on this block to help develop the other sites they have planned for residential and retail. One thing I will add, that I'm sure you'll find exciting: We have known about this project since November of last year. For them to announce this and share that stacking plan, along with the square footage and other details, I think they are close to completing pre-leasing and starting on the permitting phase. I'm guessing there is a rough design already completed and they will need a little time to refine the design with input from the tenants? They usually start construction 5-6 months after these announcements.

I have a massive backlog of posts. I need to start posting them!

Last edited by Matthew; Jun 10, 2018 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:27 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Video Link

Morris Building:
Front Street Capital is the buyer for this building in downtown's IQ District and is looking into expanding the building. The expanded building will have a large amount of retail space and some office space for creative and tech companies. Robin Team said "It lays out well for retail. We'll leave the shell, and maybe, expand it. It's likely to have retail, and maybe some office space." STITCH Design Shop is expected to be the architect and Landmark Builders will likely be the general contractor. More details will be released at the end of this year.

The Morris Building is the building with white boards over the windows. The Cardinal Hotel is in Gay Pride Month colors:

Credit: chasing_fotoz

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
Taking their time with the brick facade.

Credit: carlygeisphotography

Credit: b_rowell87

WSSU Residence Hall: Built!
This project is now completed! Sadly, we didn't have many updates on the construction. If you're thinking of applying to WSSU, this is a great look at the newest residence hall. It's a beautiful campus near the southeastern edge of downtown and worth touring.

Credit: WSSU

Winston Junction:
We can now add this to our construction list on the first page. This adaptive-reuse entertainment project (conversion of an old produce warehouse in downtown's Produce District) has construction permits. There is an effort, by the developers and businesses, to re-brand this area of downtown as Industry Hill.

Hotel Indigo:
Workers have finished enlarging the window openings for taller windows. I think they are making final brickwork repairs?

Credit: vincerabil

You can see window enlargements are completed in this photograph:

Dave & Buster's:
This 32,000 square-foot project is about to start construction. It's described as an arcade & sports bar. Look for an official announcement in a few weeks. Completion is set for Spring 2019. Winston-Salem has three existing barcades. I'm guessing this will compete with them? The concept seems to be very popular in Winston-Salem. I may add this to our first page list of projects, due to the size of this project.

500 West Fifth:
Salem College has selected the 21-storey 500 West Fifth as the new expanded location for their Center for Women in Business and Entrepreneurship Program. It will offer mentoring, collaboration space, unique programing, and co-working spaces for students/women starting their own business. Salem College's expanded center will open in August.

Wallpaper in the offices:

Credit: bryanlovessharon

Drywall & insulation delivery:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Plaza Building & Galleria:

Credit: warco.construction

Incendiary Brewing Company:

Fire eye for Incendiary Brewing Co., in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. It will be moved inside when they put the patio in:

Credit: jeks_nc

Credit: jeks_nc

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
This project has officially topped-out. As you will see, below, they started on the southern half and topped-it-out, but haven't started on the northern half! It's like half a building!

Look for the cranes (The beautiful tree-filled green area, with a bridge, is the High Line Park):

Credit: brittanybutterworthphoto

Credit: bolinsky_

Tuesday (6/5) - You can see it is now topped-out:

Credit: x1communications

Though the southern half has topped-out, the northern half of the building hasn't started!

Credit: lostvestige

Alternative Transportation:

Low Line:
This project is now officially announced and they are calling it "The Low Line." It is the conversion of an elevated rail line into a pedestrian walkway, connecting to restaurants and retail in the Bailey South Building and possibly in the Morris Building. Both Front Street Capital and Wexford Science and Technology will work on this project. It also includes a glass-art installation in the steel framework at Bailey Power Plant's Building 23-2. They are already entering the permitting process for this project. It will start construction when they have all of the necessary construction permits.

The Low Line as it currently appears, with the Morris Building next to it:

Credit: king_vander.willigen

As you can see, it's labeled "Low Line" on their site plan and you can see the glass-art installation:

Credit: Front Street Capital

Rail Streetcar System:
The city's proposed streetcar system has appeared in the city's 2018 Transportation Needs. The city's match is shown as $44,882,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Winston-Salem
This project would consist of rails in the streets along the route, small stations along the route that allow for level boarding of vehicles and real time information to passengers concerning the next vehicle arrival, an electric power delivery system, modern electric streetcar vehicles that are fully accessible, and a vehicle maintenance and storage facility. The project could be built in smaller phases as funding becomes available. This initiative was recommended as a key public investment

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:38 AM
Fourth and Main

Zachary Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
In roughly two or three years, construction will begin on a major restoration and renovation of the historic, Streamline Moderne, Zachary Smith Reynolds Airport. The terminal will be restored to how it looked when it was North Carolina's busiest airport and the headquarters for Piedmont Airlines. This was the busiest airport in the Carolinas from its opening until the 1970s. It was designed by architect Howard Cheney. He was the leading airport architect in the late 1930s, when he was hired as the architect. Fun Fact: Howard Cheney designed both Washington National (now Reagan National / DCA) and Zachary Smith Reynolds (INT) airports at the same time, in the same architectural style, and you can see a few design similarities. It's great to see this building will be restored. I've wanted to see it restored to its original appearance for a long time.

Credit: Mark Saunders

A look at the airport in the 1940s:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

Sky Club in 1944:

Dining Room in 1944 (notice the large mural):

1942 (Notice the sculptural bust, one of two in the airport):

Eastern Airlines Reservation Desk in 1947:

Reservationists at Capitol Airlines in 1947

Construction photograph:

New Hanger:
The airport will also construct a new hanger. Other projects, currently under construction, will open several new parcels for development.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:16 AM
Fourth and Main

Are you ready for another new office building for tech companies in downtown's IQ District?

Bailey South:
Bailey Power Plant Building 23-1 is now called Bailey South. This project is now officially announced! Front Street Capital will be the developer and Landmark Builders will be the general contractor for this project, which is expected to add 75,000 square-feet of mixed-use space to downtown's IQ District. Expect to see rooftop terraces and an outdoor entertainment venue in The Coal Pit. As previously reported here, the first two floors will be retail (some of these retail spaces will open to three rooftop spaces on the second floor, including a 2,000 square-foot rooftop patio along Patterson Avenue) and they have already applied for permits to convert the elevated rail lines into an elevated boardwalk (called The Low Line) leading to the restaurants and retail on the second floor of this building and possibly two other buildings. The office space will be for creative and tech companies and will have a 2,000 square-foot private rooftop. They will acquire the property (close) in August and groundbreaking is scheduled for September 2018, with completion set for December 2019. They are not seeking historic tax credits and this will allow them to make major renovations and an expansion tax credits may not allow. They will incorporate the original 1926 power plant building, with its 16-21 foot ceilings, at the site into their new building to keep that industrial power plant feel in the new building. The building will be clad in brick, terracotta, glass, and metal panels. They have already pre-leased 25,000 square-feet of office space in the project and interest in the building is so strong they are adding a sixth floor to the project for more office space. They are also in talks with restaurants for the lower two floors. Robin Team said "Once we get the office space filled, we can hand-pick the restaurants. We can be very selective with the retailers we put in this building. This will be the most dramatic restaurant venue in the Triad."

Proposed Building:

Currently:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Original 1926 power plant building on the skyline:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Credit: winston_360

A look inside the 1926 power plant building:

Credit: dirtvixen

Credit: TBJ

These vent hoods in the 1926 building can be incorporated into a restaurant's design:

Credit: cheyannemurdock

Credit: cheyannemurdock

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 6:16 PM

Pepper Building on June 16:

Hampton Inn & Suites on June 16:

View of Hampton Brickwork:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:33 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the update, kdwinston! I can only see the photograph of Hotel Indigo, though.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: jake_tennyson

A look at the inside with visitors from D.C.,:

Credit: Omega Construction

A look at the floor plan from 2016:

Credit: CJMW

I think this is the front desk? This design is from 2016, so it may have changed since then?

Credit: CJMW

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: kyleduncanphoto

500 West Fifth:

Big cranes:

Credit: bigdentong

The opening on the seventh floor where they are lifting the HVAC equipment into the building:

Credit: owens_daniels_photography

First Baptist Church Restoration:

A look inside the tall tower:

Credit: Walter Robbs

Morris Building:

As of Friday (6/15):

Credit: cyclerstyle

Bailey Power Plant - Cugino Forno:
I usually don't follow projects like these on this thread, but since this is inside the power plant, I thought it could be interesting to follow... if photographs are available? We will softly follow it, which means it won't appear on our project list, but I may post updates If I find them.

Credit: cugino_forno_ws

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
An Indiana-based medical device company will buy an 850,000 square-foot building in Whitaker Park for their engineering, production, researching & development, and marketing operations. This is expected to be a major investment. They will spend tens of millions of dollars to renovate the building. This is half of the available work space in the Whitaker Park mixed-use development and could bring thousands of employees to the development by 2021.

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

Store shelves in the upscale grocery market and bistro:

Credit: canteen411

A rendering of the storefronts (If you would like to lease one of these spaces, call 336-926-1411):

Credit: CRA

Passageway Park:
They have completed around 90% of the landscaping work and will soon start on wayfinding/signage.

Credit: sarah_in_carolina

East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
An update on this 255 foot / 78 metre pedestrian and bike tunnel. They are currently working on half of the tunnel. It will have lighting. We need to add this project to our construction list! It's a project the city's cycling community has worked hard to make happen.

Credit: WXII 12

Random Photographs:

Credit: a_mazzocchi

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We have our first photography updates on two new projects, including the possibility of an exciting neon-themed downtown brewery!

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: reyes_celvin

Still waiting on the ground floor windows and doors:

Credit: kellydunnphoto

Efird Block Restoration:
GBX Group has started work on their first Winston-Salem project. A dumpster is now at the site and a leasing banner (Meridian Realty) is now on the building. I think they are using tax credits, so expect a nice restoration!

Credit: dumpstersofwinston

Credit: nolander

Brasstown Chocolate:
Another tourable chocolate factory (artisanal bean-to-bar chocolate maker) will open in downtown's Arts District neighborhood, allowing customers to see how chocolate and coffee are made and purchase products made in the store. Brasstown Chocolate has won several awards, including 12 international awards, and is looking for better visibility and more foot traffic, which they have found at 619 North Trade Street in downtown Winston-Salem. A coffee roaster, called Fourteen Degrees Coffee Roasters, will also open in the chocolate factory. Construction will begin in early-July and completion is set for late-August. In addition to tours of the chocolate factory and coffee roasting operation, you can also buy tea, coffee, chocolate drinks, chocolate bars, and baked goods. This artisanal chocolate factory is just a block away from another artisanal chocolate factory. They are planning to work together and don't see each other as competitors.

It has become very difficult to find photographs of this project.

Wednesday (6/20):

Credit: carmona_digital

North Carolina History Teachers Training Center:

Credit: kilo.delta.romeo

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:
Work is starting on this project! Pilot Environmental was hired to begin interior demolition. They may have to seek some type of brownfield designation with this project, if they haven't already?

Winston Junction:
Our first photography construction update on this project! We know this project will include a live music venue built by someone who designed and built several celebrity homes and popular entertainment venues in Los Angeles and their projects have won many awards. It will also include a restaurant called Earl's. I'm not sure what other tenants have signed leases for space here?

Credit: industryhillwsnc

216 East Brewery:
This future brewery was once the Coe and Hartman neon sign company. AWESOME! They designed and installed some of the biggest and best known neon signs in the Winston-Salem area and the building still has several old neon signs inside! They may become part of the brewery? It would be awesome to see a brewery designed around these pieces of downtown Winston-Salem's neon history! It would also be a very unique brewery in North Carolina. They are currently in permitting and are looking through the old neon signs still inside the vacant building. Wow, this could become the city's best brewery! I really want to see these signs in that space! Will they repair and light them in the taproom or keep them as they are? I guess we shall find out.

Photograph of the building as a neon sign factory:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library

Notice the Coe and Hartman sign in the back corner (Look at the Winston-Salem neon history in this room!):

You can find many interesting items in old buildings around downtown!

If they are able to restore these and light them in the taproom, that will be awesome!

Passageway Park:

Credit: just_savanna

Random Photographs:

They finally installed artwork in this breezeway to Bookmarks Bookstore and Footnote (Look for live music and artists in this breezeway on July 7!):

Credit: locallygrownws

Art in the breezeway will change each year.

Credit: debgrovephoto

Credit: kilo.delta.romeo

Random Videos:

Bailey Park:
A nice view of Bailey Park and surroundings, during a live music event.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 6:05 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: fourthandtrade

Still waiting for the windows and doors on the ground floor:

Credit: maddy__t

Science & Office Building:

Our first update on this project:

Credit: joshkneen

Hyatt Place Hotel:
New renderings provide a look inside the new downtown Hyatt Place Hotel, opening in late-May 2019, at the corner of Third and Liberty streets. Looking at the circuit board wallpaper, you can tell these hotels are for the tech companies moving into downtown.

Credit: archSTUDIO7

Detail view:

Gypsy Road Brewing Company:
Gypsy Road Brewing will open their building at the end of this month, but won't sell their own beer until Fall 2018, as they seek TTB approval. Until they have TTB approval, you can enjoy wine and beers from other breweries in the space, which they will continue to offer when they begin brewing their own beer. Adam Norman was hired as the head brewer. Look for 8-10 taps with a large number of hazy and sour IPAs and flavored stouts, along with several traditional styles. This appears to be a small brewery, but they are prepared for expansion! The brewery is designed to allow for a major expansion that could double the brewery's size. As a reminder: This is an adaptive-reuse of an old warehouse.

Yes, we are now following the construction of three new breweries in this thread!

Our first photographs of this brewery project:

Credit: Gypsy Road Brewing Co.

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:

The elevator/stair cores are rising:

Credit: Commercial Realty Advisors

The upscale bistro and grocery market held a preview reception and announced they will open in September. This storefront space has taken a year to build-out, so I think we are all expecting something amazing! It looks great in the photographs!

Credit: keepitlocalws

Credit: _nishamary

Grocery market shelves:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

PIU Downtown Dormitory:
Piedmont International University (PIU) is in talks to buy the property at 200 South Broad Street, near BB&T Ballpark, for their new dormitory. They may reuse the existing building or demolish it and build new on the site. If they build new, it could include something other than just dormitories. We shall see what happens. It's always exciting to see new dorms proposed in downtown.

While the other brewery in today's update is still waiting on their TTB approval, this brewery just received their TTB approval.

Credit: incendiarybrew

500 West Fifth:

Credit: synthetic_playground

Credit: ‎Gale Ketteler‎

Credit: x1communications

Sunday Evening of Last Week (6/24):

Credit: davidlanemusic

LGBT Pride Month Lighting at The Coal Pit / Low Line

Credit: paulseiler

Credit: hypetheengineer

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:06 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Are you ready for another brewery! Yes, we have another brewery proposed in today's update! Winston-Salem is becoming one of the southeast's beer cities

Video Link

Credit: llliilliillliilll

Hyatt Place Hotel:
This project is now appearing in our updates. They are applying for permits connected to the underground parking. We could see the walls for the underground parking, soon. The hotel will be constructed above this.

West End Station Apartments:
We have new renderings of this massive apartment development, showing the interior. Completion is set for January 2019.

Credit: West End Station

Renderings showing Streetcar Artwork at West End Station Apartments:

Credit: West End Station

Two workers? That explains why it is taking a year to clad this building in brick...

Credit: DWSP

LA Reynolds Brewery & Mixed-use:
Yes, another brewery! Mayfair Street Partners has the LA Reynolds property under contract and has proposed an adaptive-reuse project that will transform the buildings and land into a brewery & taproom, outdoor beer garden, a dog park, a beach that can be converted into an ice rink in the winter, upscale restaurant, a wine bar with deli, 229 apartments, and a 10,000 square-foot greenhouse that will be used for growing the brewery's hydroponic hops. The developer already has preliminary architectural drawings and the property is under contract. The developer expects to begin construction in late-Fall 2018.

Credit: mattcockerham

Marines on July 4th (Thank you for your service!):

Credit: rss_winstonsalem

Credit: oo_bina_oo

Credit: azlyn_03

Credit: shotbyhype

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: bvrtholomew

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:59 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Do you want an update? You can have it now!
Video Link

West End Station Apartments:
A rare update on this project! You can see the city's rough terrain, with the apartments built into a ridge-side.

Parking is under the building:

500 West Fifth:

Lobby Expansion and Skateboarding:

Credit: _phillipreid

They applied for permits to start on this project. Demolition began on Monday. Some of the items in the wings to be demolished were donated to churches from Haywood County to Detroit, MI.,.

A look at how awesome this building is:

Credit: justinchandler1988

Donated items removed and loaded on trucks:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

A car show had a Twin City Ford Model-T automobile, assembled in this building, in front of it: (Yes, this car was built in the building behind it!)

Credit: Hal McGee

Efird Block Restoration:
They have cleared the interior spaces and have "for lease" signs on both buildings. Notice the Meridian for lease signs.

Credit: Hal McGee

A look inside the brick building:

Credit: ohkay2000

Credit: dashley253

Credit: wandabrendlemoss

Late night Sunday (7/8):

Credit: tim_hutch

View from the High Line:

Credit: suitevida

Hotel Indigo:
They are currently working on the lobby woodwork, elevators, and the stair tower / back-of-house structure. The hotel will open on Halloween. This is interesting, since the building was originally completed just a few days before Halloween in 1928. A few people believe it's haunted and they believe that is a reason so many developers couldn't do anything with it, so a Halloween opening does fit with this building.

Workers have repaired the Art Deco capitals and won't restore the original marble-like panels:

Credit: outlawalice

A plumber shows the view from inside the back-of-house structure and stair tower:

Credit: jackboreham

Downtown Marriott Renovation:

Why are they removing this pool?

Credit: demobros

Sports:

Atlantic Coast Collegiate Hockey Tournament:
There is an effort to make Winston-Salem "Carolina's Hockey City" and hosting more hockey games, like this, is a big part of that effort. This tournament will be held in Winston-Salem on February 15-17 of next year and will bring Division I teams from across the Mid-Atlantic and parts of the Northeast regions to Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem would like to become the permanent location for this event or at least the most frequent host city, as part of its "Hockeytown" efforts.

New Bike Lanes:
The city is preparing to start construction on 15 miles (24 kilometres) of new bike lanes next month. The city's Active Transportation Planner, Matthew Burczyk, said “The hope is that as we add more infrastructure, it will encourage more people to use the (bike share) bikes for transportation.”

Zagster Bike Share Expansion:
Winston-Salem's bike share is so successful, they are preparing to expand the system by 20% and add more docking stations. The National Cycling Center said ridership is up. Look for new docking stations at the Central Library and East Winston, to name two of the new locations.

Last edited by Matthew; Jul 12, 2018 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

"This pack of poplar is being transformed into a TON historic window sills for Hotel Indigo."

Credit: paintmonsters

Look for the core towers on the right side of this photograph:

Credit: llliilliillliilll

Two of the three cores in the six-storey building have topped-out:

Work starting on the third core:

Hiatt Canning Building:
Part of the vacant Thomasville Furniture factory, at 1200 Ivy Avenue, will be renovated into a canning and warehouse operation for Hiatt's Canning Company. The renovation will cost $6 million. Buildings at this site date back to 1926. Yes, this is in downtown's Produce District. An area developers are trying to rename Industry Hill. The last of downtown's operating industrial and warehousing operations are in this area. It's interesting to see an old industrial building in this neighborhood, on the edge of downtown, become a canning factory. Usually, these buildings are renovated to trendy creative or tech offices, breweries/distilleries, retail/restaurants, entertainment venues, or residences.

Building to be demolished:

The bar is designed with LED-lit faux-lava in the middle:

Sunday (7/15):

Credit: northstarlgbtq

Sunday (7/15):

Credit: kiaraschuro

They are building this around a public parking deck (to hide it) and the deck is still open (arrows on the red fence tell you where to enter the deck):

Credit: twincityroses

Though it's built around a public parking deck (parkade), the apartment building only has 172 parking spaces in the deck for the 344 apartments (0.5 spaces per unit). The parking cost extra and isn't included in the rent. If you want it, you have to request it and it must be available. I think they want you to walk, bike (it has a bike repair station, bike lockers for all 344 units, and is near bike share), use the Zipcar across the street, or take transit. Most new downtown apartments are like this.

Credit: kiki_d_avis

Credit: brooke_gram

Credit: thedjeightyfour

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:01 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

A few hours late...

Elevator Classics - This is my paternal grandfather's favorite music artist:
Video Link

Hold that elevator!

More construction updates on the bistro and upscale grocery market. It's very close to opening! They are giving previews of the bistro part of the business, but still haven't stocked the grocery market shelves, as seen in the background.

A Sunday Brunch Preview (tickets required):

Look for details on a Nightcap & Disco event!

500 West Fifth:

Credit: livingwellsnc

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
Workers are now constructing the bus bays and future streetcar bays. When this opens, half of the bus traffic will move to this site. Many of us, including me, believe the city will one day sell the downtown bus station site to a developer and move everything here. This is the better building and once people use it, they will prefer this site and the city can move everything here with no objections. This will elevate riding the bus, with quality design and materials, such as marble walls. As rail transit is reintroduced, it will also allow for easy transfers between modes. It also has retail/restaurant spaces.

Bus Bays (and future Streetcar Bays) for loading and turning-around (notice it's rounded for large vehicle turns, like buses and streetcars):

Credit: ladanielneal

Notice the historical information from the developer (far left window) on this former Ford Factory & Dealership:

Credit: lili_____fru12

Efird Block Restoration:
This project will be office and retail, with the possibility of a rooftop bar (if the tenant wants it). They have already pre-leased the corner retail space. It is one of several retail spaces in this project. GBX Group will restore the original office spaces, to create an awesome 1925 retro look for any creative and tech companies interested. It should be a fun place to have an office! It looks like something you would see in an old film noir from the 1940s. I'm sure it will be a popular filming location! Maybe this is why the Cleveland-based developer is so excited about this project?

They will restore the brick building to look like this: (It has Four Floors: Two Retail Floors and Two Office Floors)

Source: GBX Group

The four-storey east facades are 45 feet (13.75 metres) tall.

Second Street Park:
Remember this project? It's now under construction and we have our first photograph of the construction!

Hotel Indigo:
This hotel is now on the main Hotel Indigo site, with a February 17, 2019 opening? I'm guessing the October 31 date is when the restaurants will open? The address has changed to 110 West Fourth. Plans now include a wine bar on the mezzanine level and a farm-to-table restaurant with bar on the ground floor. This is a "no pets" hotel.

Credit: vintage.camera.guy

Design & Cost Estimating:

An update from the WSTB Forum on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDrip @ WSTB Forum
Winston Junction:
We are now seeing more updates on this construction project! It's a multi-tenant retail/restaurant/entertainment venue, located behind The Ramkat and Wise Man Brewing. You can see they have removed the bricks blocking the original window openings. Walls are also framed-out.

"New/old openings at Winston Junction project. Multiple bays, working on central hall"

Earl's Restaurant:

Credit: earlsws

Live Music Venue: (Notice they removed the bricks from the window openings)

Credit: wadecodesign

Off-Subject:

A look inside the office space at Fourth & Trade:

Credit: jueldlane

The photographer is "re- imaging Ernie Barnes’s painting, The Maestro." I'm guessing that space is now used for photography, since I've seen a few other photo shoots in that space, by other local photographers?

Winston-Salem is awesome!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:49 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Hotel Week at the Winston-Salem Update! You can see updates on three downtown hotel construction projects in this update.

I don't think this city is welcome here? (8:21)
Video Link

Glowing LED Lava Bar:

Covering column with glowing red LED Lava panel:

Credit: pour_fill_ws

Credit: thedjeightyfour

The back-half of the structure is now topped-out at six floors:

Credit: felix_m_olaya

Plaza Building & Galleria: Built!
According to the WSTB Forum, this 555,548 square-foot office project is now completed.

Winston Junction:

An update on Earl's Restaurant:

Credit: earlsws

Link Apartments 4th Street:
240 apartments, retail space, indoor bike lockers & bike repair station for bicycle commuters, and underground parking.

A better rendering of this project. I like the description, but this design doesn't look exciting to me:

Credit: BB+M Architecture

Removing HVAC equipment from the roof in preparation for demolition to build Link 4th Street:

Cladding work has started on the back side:

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: vincenthorn

The two-storey back-of-house structure is topped-out and now the stair tower will rise above it:

Credit: wkerrymorris

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 5:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

It's University Construction Update Week!

Video Link

Fifth & Marshall Apartments:
Flow said they are interested in building a grocery store and retail on this massive downtown site. The development may offer public parking in a large deck or underground, too? This is across from the convention center and is an area of downtown with a large number of out-of-town visitors. They are looking for the right development partner to work on the project and need to secure the financing. Construction would begin when Link Apartments 4th Street is completed.

Science & Office Building:
This update could be a few weeks old? I wanted an update on this project and searched for it! The core is topped-out and steel is rising. This building is highly visible from the John Gold Expressway.

Credit: WSSUNews

All three cores are now topped-out. It's time to start the framing!

Removing the scaffolding from the finished stair core (Stair Core #2 on construction documents):

Winston Junction:

"Nice looking exhaust hood"

Hotel Indigo:

Update from the WSTB Forum: Window installation has started and they are building the stair tower:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHtoWS @ WSTB Forum
The WSTB Forum has a larger version of that image with more detail. Be sure to thank the photographer while you're there.

Credit: chiara_lotti3

Credit: annalisa_e

Window Sills:

This building will be demolished as part of the church's downsizing:

Sutton Sports Performance Center:

Credit: pdub_100

The upscale grocery market is stocking shelves, in preparation for their opening.

Credit: awkwardhero

I like rain and how cities look in the rain:

Credit: winstonhomie

View of Link Apartments Innovation Quarter from a skyscraper:

Credit: danielbutner

Credit: vieuxplace

Credit: realtalkwithtylerdease

Credit: estesellshomes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations