HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:05 PM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
A few more slides from the presentation have been put up on the site:
http://buildyourcentre.ca/public-eng.../#.UL_pzYbF3ke
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Interesting that in the slides they show Argyle as pedestrian.
... my major concern is still Grafton. Devil is in the details, but Grafton could either be a cool pedestrian mall, or epic failure as a dark unwelcoming tunnel.
Not only are Argyle and Grafton pedestrian only, but they almost look like they're wooden boardwalks (the original files are huge if you want to see more detail):

http://buildyourcentre.ca/wp-content...D-1024x791.jpg

http://buildyourcentre.ca/wp-content...E-1024x791.jpg

^^I appreciate that the design includes a band of saxophones and balloons (on both streets)... If there are any more design tweaks, I wish a bit more could be done with the ceiling in terms of features and lighting. If Argyle will be converted to pedestrian-only (and is a more appropriate street for this) and since there doesn't appear to be a lot of retail, etc., then at this point I'm wondering if Grafton would be better left open to traffic after all. It looks like there will already be a roadway for pickup/drop off. Oh well, too late for that discussion I suppose.

From what we can see at this point, I like the overall design quite a bit. Maybe not every detail is better than the previous but generally, this is my favourite yet - to me, it is night and day compared to the very first design. And ditto about the hopes for a top floor restuarant or function space - apparently with a very high ceiling.

It seems like a lot of expectation has built up around this project as it's evolved over the past couple of years, so I may be more critical of smaller details as a result. I think it's all the more exciting if I look at this as if a convention centre with three towers in the heart of downtown has just been announced and the overall plans are being revealed for the first time, and it has many nice features, and it's already under construction.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:10 PM

I don't think the second image in bluenoser's post is showing Argyle 'the street'. That looks to me to be a balcony space on top of the podium, above the street. Look at the way the area interacts with the buildings beside it - it looks like the space is elevated and that is' just an exaggerated perspective. But that's just me...

It looks like the elevated space just up from the street on the image to the right. It could also be just the way they drew in the buildings (just used general shapes) and it's the actual street. I'm not sure...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:13 PM
hi

^ Yes, it looks like the balcony maintains the same level as Grafton St. I hope there is good street activity on the Argyle side though!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As far as I know the Argyle Street stuff is all "conceptual"; they don't actually have control over it. There are plans to do some streetscaping along Argyle and now is the right time to overhaul the street but it remains to be seen whether or not council will follow through.

Last edited by someone123; Dec 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:20 PM

I can't imagine a better street in the city to convert to pedestrian-only (or at least a "naked street" model) than Argyle between Prince and Blowers. It's not a major auto thoroughfare, there's no transit, and it's got a density and mixture of uses tailor-made for pedestrians. If the Nova Centre's pedestrian realm is as good as the renderings suggest, that's all the more reason for it.

Of course, the renderings are pretty fanciful. A lot more balloons than is probably realistic...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:09 PM

They indicated last nite, they are hoping Argyle will be a shared street (sometimes cars and sometimes just people) but this would have to be worked out with HRM.
Grafton would be car access to the hotel and parking garage, but most of it would be pedestrian with a large gathering space in the middle. All along Argyle would be retail and I believe most of Grafton would be retail as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
They indicated last nite, they are hoping Argyle will be a shared street (sometimes cars and sometimes just people) but this would have to be worked out with HRM.
Grafton would be car access to the hotel and parking garage, but most of it would be pedestrian with a large gathering space in the middle. All along Argyle would be retail and I believe most of Grafton would be retail as well.
It sounds like something similar to Stephen Avenue here in Calgary. It is pedestrian only during the day time, but after 6pm it goes back to cars.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
It sounds like something similar to Stephen Avenue here in Calgary. It is pedestrian only during the day time, but after 6pm it goes back to cars.
After 6pm, is the space exclusively for cars?

The Nova Centre, from what I understand, would never exclude pedestrians; and for special events, it may be converted to pedestrian only.

I realise a number of people were hoping Grafton would always be pedestrian only, but something had to give, considering the developer has gone to great lengths to move the garage away from Argyle.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

The Nova Centre, from what I understand, would never exclude pedestrians; and for special events, it may be converted to pedestrian only.

I realise a number of people were hoping Grafton would always be pedestrian only, but something had to give, considering the developer has gone to great lengths to move the garage away from Argyle.

They did not indicate specific times but rather by event and usage. They kind of like cars and their place in a lively streetscape.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:35 AM
Honored Member

The new renderings look great.

It will be tough for the Save The View group to get much support at this point. If they try any antics then they will probably alienate a large proportion of the HRM population (in my opinion).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Actually I think car access to Grafton might be positive in terms of adding more activity and tying this development in with the blocks around it. The activity from people driving into the parking entrance doesn't really contribute much but a lot of people would use a covered drop-off area.

With Argyle I think you'd see the opposite of Stephen Ave; mixed during the day and pedestrian-only during the busiest times in the evening. It would add a lot to Argyle to have more space for patios and more space for people to gather outside. The sheltered spot next to the Nova Centre entrance could be nice too.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:43 AM
BANNED

The Argyle/Sackville curved tower is curved only on one side, as the other side more fully uses the available envelope facing Argyle, it appears. I wonder what the back of this tower looks like?

They should have produced at least one Prince Street view rendering.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:12 AM

Quote:

No no no. The pedestrians are just stuck using the sidewalks rather than the whole street.

During the day, pedestrians can use the sidewalks and walk on the 'roadway' as well. The only exception is that some delivery trucks are allowed during the day because the gate is not locked.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 6:19 AM

CTV Atlantic has a story up saying that Nova Centre the Halifax/Dartmouth Bridge Commission has booked the first convention for 2016.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 9:09 AM
we built this city

Quote:
CTV Atlantic has a story up saying that Nova Centre the Halifax/Dartmouth Bridge Commission has booked the first convention for 2016.
Let's see if its done on time.

But, "people aren't having conventions anymore, its a dying industry" - STV assholes.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Really... Well. Construction hasn't even begun and the ball is already rollin'. Hopefully naysayers take notice.

In 2017, the Nova Centre would be a very appropriate location to hold a special event to commemorate the centennial of the Halifax Explosion. It's going to be a very important news event for the entire nation -- and also recognised by Americans, particularly in Boston.

By then, I wonder how much more filled in the downtown will be? Hopefully the Barrington Street towers (Discovery and the Rowe) will be completed. I'm not sure how realistic it is to hold my breath on the site owned by United Gulf... Nevertheless, walking along Barrington Street is going to be drastically improved with the taller, modern buildings surrounding the low-rise, heritage buildings. It'll be a beautiful contrast, feel much more urbanised, and I believe will bring more appreciation for the heritage buildings we're kept, which essentially stretch from city hall all the way down to the cathedral at the beginning of Spring Garden Road.

Whenever the city gets around to streetscape renovations, perhaps the streets surrounding this stretch of heritage buildings should reflect the age of these buildings, as the streetscape throughout the rest of the downtown would be, more simply, contemporary?

For the conceptual renderings of the Nova Centre, one picture revealed how Argyle's streetscape could be renovated to display the same linear design of the Nova Centre's ballroom and that of the top floor of the curved tower. I wonder how it would look if this linear design surrounded Barrington's heritage buildings?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Let's see if its done on time.

But, "people aren't having conventions anymore, its a dying industry" - STV assholes.
The bridge commission rep was saying that they wanted to the convention here but the current centre didn't have the space. They specifically booked because Nova had more room.

There are two things I liked about his comment: First it stuck it to the STV crowd outright. Second, it was a crown corporation taking advantage and bringing a conference to the city to show it off. While I know crown corp spending $ can be touchy sometimes, I think the HDBC needs a bit of a kudos here. I read into his comment that they had wanted to show off Halifax's bridges (I can't think of what convention this would be or organization) and I'm guessing it would be a big conference. Couldn't do it with the current centre, so now we can. Great!

Now if only other publicly owned corporations would think like that!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Really... Well. Construction hasn't even begun and the ball is already rollin'. Hopefully naysayers take notice.

In 2017, the Nova Centre would be a very appropriate location to hold a special event to commemorate the centennial of the Halifax Explosion. It's going to be a very important news event for the entire nation -- and also recognised by Americans, particularly in Boston.

By then, I wonder how much more filled in the downtown will be? Hopefully the Barrington Street towers (Discovery and the Rowe) will be completed. I'm not sure how realistic it is to hold my breath on the site owned by United Gulf... Nevertheless, walking along Barrington Street is going to be drastically improved with the taller, modern buildings surrounding the low-rise, heritage buildings. It'll be a beautiful contrast, feel much more urbanised, and I believe will bring more appreciation for the heritage buildings we're kept, which essentially stretch from city hall all the way down to the cathedral at the beginning of Spring Garden Road.

Whenever the city gets around to streetscape renovations, perhaps the streets surrounding this stretch of heritage buildings should reflect the age of these buildings, as the streetscape throughout the rest of the downtown would be, more simply, contemporary?

For the conceptual renderings of the Nova Centre, one picture revealed how Argyle's streetscape could be renovated to display the same linear design of the Nova Centre's ballroom and that of the top floor of the curved tower. I wonder how it would look if this linear design surrounded Barrington's heritage buildings?
The Rowe?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Rowe?
The Roy.

Wow... I must have been excited about the final public consultation at the Kenneth C. Rowe Heritage Hall.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Here here, that's a great idea for the blue.
I've seen a few comments about the "coloured glass trend continuing", from the renderings though it looks like most of the building will be clad in uniform blue-tinted glass? Can anyone explain what the excitement is about?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth