HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
An update on the Pavilions:

That "Art Deco" cladding really isn't doing anything for me...
Maybe I am one of the few who loves the facade of the Pavillions. Not necessarily the gray metal part, but the overall look and feel is very nice. I think that once more lights and signage are added, more texture will be given to the street scene to create an improved sense of place. If not, then yah, maybe it'll stay a little bland.

I think the Pavillions are/will be a great asset to downtown...I just think Houston could have come up with a better name than a cookie-cutter of what Denver calls theirs.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
That "Art Deco" cladding really isn't doing anything for me...
Looks like a freakin' barcode...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
When I last went to Houston about 1 month ago I was appalled by the cladding on the outside of the pavilions. The eastern end of that cladding on the building is just god awful. It may even be worse looking then the parking lot that was there previously. It just doesnt look inviting to people looking to shop there. Is that section of the terrible cladding a parking garage or something? But as for the rest of the project I like it.
I believe what you are referring to is where the music venue House of Blues will be.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:36 AM

I must be a minority, because I do not think the office "tower" portion of the pavilions does not look too bad. The skin of it sort of reminds me of the Collaboratibe Research building going up in the Med Center.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Maybe I am one of the few who loves the facade of the Pavillions. Not necessarily the gray metal part, but the overall look and feel is very nice. I think that once more lights and signage are added, more texture will be given to the street scene to create an improved sense of place. If not, then yah, maybe it'll stay a little bland.

I think the Pavillions are/will be a great asset to downtown...I just think Houston could have come up with a better name than a cookie-cutter of what Denver calls theirs.
I really do hope that we'll see some texture shaping up as things progress. I do think the Pavilions are a good asset, and though I just wish the design was much more exceptional than it seems to be now, I don't quite think it completely ugly.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:31 PM

Reviewing the renders of the Pavilions, I think they will turn out a lot better than I had been pessimistically expecting (I know these have been posted before but maybe another glance will change some others' minds):

Here is the house of Blues (it does look like a garage or mechanic shop):

What do you guys think?

Also, I must have missed this back in May and I don't think it was mentioned here:
"Lawry's cools off on Houston Pavilions project

A major tenant that had signed on for the $170 million Houston Pavilions project has pulled out of the downtown deal, while a handful of other retailers are delaying their openings until next spring.

Upscale steakhouse Lawry's The Prime Rib will no longer be a tenant in the Pavilions, a 700,000-square-foot, multilevel mixed-use project that is scheduled to open in October. The remaining anchor tenants in the project -- which will take up four city blocks and be bounded by Dallas Street, Polk Street, Main Street and Caroline Street -- include Pete's Dueling Piano Bar, House of Blues and Lucky Strike Lanes.

Lawry's officials could not be reached for comment, but the company told local restaurant trade publication My Table that the Pavilions location has been scrapped..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...05/story4.html

Last edited by rdavis4559; Jul 16, 2008 at 1:32 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:03 PM

NATCO to build R&D facility in Houston

Oil and gas equipment company NATCO Group Inc. building a new research and development facility across from its corporate headquarters in Houston.

Houston-based NATCO (NYSE: NTG) is relocating its research and development center from Tulsa, Okla., to Houston.

The firm plans to build the new 30,000 square-foot facility at 4901 North Sam Houston Parkway, directly across from its corporate headquarters.

The center will triple the size of NATCO’s current R&D operations, the company said, allowing additional space for large-scale pilot plants, technology developments, computer and scale modeling, and laboratory services.

The new center also will include space to display working demonstration models and computer animations, as well as state-of-the-art training and presentation facilities.

NATCO Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Clarke called the project an investment in his company’s future.

“To bring our research and development efforts right into the heart of our customer base presents a tremendous opportunity to continue to grow the business,” said Clarke.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:37 AM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
NATCO to build R&D facility in Houston

Oil and gas equipment company NATCO Group Inc. building a new research and development facility across from its corporate headquarters in Houston.

Houston-based NATCO (NYSE: NTG) is relocating its research and development center from Tulsa, Okla., to Houston.

The firm plans to build the new 30,000 square-foot facility at 4901 North Sam Houston Parkway, directly across from its corporate headquarters.

The center will triple the size of NATCO’s current R&D operations, the company said, allowing additional space for large-scale pilot plants, technology developments, computer and scale modeling, and laboratory services.

The new center also will include space to display working demonstration models and computer animations, as well as state-of-the-art training and presentation facilities.

NATCO Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Clarke called the project an investment in his company’s future.

“To bring our research and development efforts right into the heart of our customer base presents a tremendous opportunity to continue to grow the business,” said Clarke.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

AWESOME!

This is good news.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 1:28 PM

"Swami Ramdev to set up centre in Houston"

60 Acres of Yoga?
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3248125.cms

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 6:06 PM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
AWESOME!

This is good news.
30,000sf means 2 or three floors. Still more jobs so a good deal for the metro.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 4:16 AM

Speaking of awesome...

Houston: The U.S. Boomtown

It's the sound some cities haven't heard for months — the sounds of construction and growth ring out throughout Houston.

In 2008, new construction permits for the city are up 30 percent. At least 100,000 new jobs have been created, and Mayor Bill White just proposed a $4 billion dream budget, calling for more police and firefighters while lowering property taxes.

Houston's boom was set off, in part, by the skyrocketing prices for oil and gas, which are the city's central commodities. Here, million-dollar homes are in high demand.

"They're selling faster than they come on the market," said Martha Turner, local real estate agent in Houston.

Government figures show that existing home sales have fallen 4.7 percent in the United States since April. It's a trend that has completely passed over Houston...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 6:06 AM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Speaking of awesome...

Houston: The U.S. Boomtown

It's the sound some cities haven't heard for months — the sounds of construction and growth ring out throughout Houston.

In 2008, new construction permits for the city are up 30 percent. At least 100,000 new jobs have been created, and Mayor Bill White just proposed a $4 billion dream budget, calling for more police and firefighters while lowering property taxes.

Houston's boom was set off, in part, by the skyrocketing prices for oil and gas, which are the city's central commodities. Here, million-dollar homes are in high demand.

"They're selling faster than they come on the market," said Martha Turner, local real estate agent in Houston.

Government figures show that existing home sales have fallen 4.7 percent in the United States since April. It's a trend that has completely passed over Houston...
This is just the tip of the iceberg why Houston > *

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
FYHA

On the topic of residential real-estate, there was a pretty good report I saw on 11 last night with regard to the number of foreign buyers who are choosing to snap up properties in the area.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stori....5ad14ad7.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 3:58 PM
H-town Baller

I still worry some about foreign investment driving up real estate costs and pricing out longterm buyers (that is, some of the factors that took place in markets like Miami and San Diego).

Then again, maybe I'm overly sensitive because everbody's freely throwing the "B" word around again.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 1:27 AM

Uptown: River Oaks District

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:06 AM

Looks very sleek and fancy. Definitely will be a great project if it all comes to together. I wish it was on the otherside of 610 to add some density to Uptown, but that's only wishful thinking. Are there any office towers by this project or is it removed a little bit from them? I wonder where the urban park is (the PDF mentions one); perhaps it will be on top of one of the low rise structures where the green is.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:52 AM

OMG I love it ! what's the hold up on this project?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post

Looks very sleek and fancy. Definitely will be a great project if it all comes to together. I wish it was on the otherside of 610 to add some density to Uptown, but that's only wishful thinking. Are there any office towers by this project or is it removed a little bit from them? I wonder where the urban park is (the PDF mentions one); perhaps it will be on top of one of the low rise structures where the green is.
Technically, the view is on top of a 16 story, 250k sf office building, so it's blocked out by the crop.

The talk recently has been for an early 2009 start for construction, so we shall see.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:42 AM
Endless Moments...

That looks good. It looks really tall from that angle. Very Kewl...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations