HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 11:47 PM

WINNIPEG: THE 11,486th BEST THREAD EVER!

Greetings, y'all. I haven't been out to take photos in a while, but in the last 24 hours it went from colder than my ex girlfriend outside to a balmy - 12 degrees C., so I figured it was an ideal day for a lil' jaunt. Without further ado, I hereby thrust my shitty photography upon the world!

This should give you an idea as to the weather:

This could be in any city. Pretend it's your own!

Hadn't noticed this fella before:

I'm totally going to listen to this. See how happy they look?

Some Portage Avenue action. In the foreground we see the Buhler building, a new U of W complex. Behind is the Bay's flagship store, part of which is a Zeller's that is (I believe) converting into a Target, as the chain was bought by the larger American company. The background shows the Manitoba Hydro Building (2009):

The Budapest Institute of Technology:

Winnipeg Uber Alles!

Home of the Winnipeg Jets NHL franchise. Say what you will about the NHL, but having a team back has had a noticeable effect on local pride. It kinda feels like we're a major city again:

Some nice detail:

Snow Marble:

Winnipeg's third tallest, the recently re-branded Artis Building:

No wonder so many meth tweakers were huddled around staring up into the sky:

Some ol' Portage and Main:

I've taken a similar photo before, but give me a break. If there's a rare "density shot" to be found in this burgh, I'll damn well showcase it:

Enough said:

I think the most responsible choice for me would probably be to drop more acid. Wait, how did that get in there? Forget I said that:

"Just needs some t.l.c.," my real estate agent said. "Just needs some t.l.c.:"

Why did I include this pointless shot? I dunno. Don't judge me:

A lil' peek into the train station:

Dig the detail:

A delightfully framed shot of the Osbourne Village residential area, south of downtown across the Assiniboine River:

A pretty good reflection of where I live:

St. Boniface, our historic French Quarter across the Red River east of downtown:

Locals know it as the Snow Bench. Maybe:

Each winter the city holds an international architecture competition in which various designs are chosen for our iconic warming huts for the skaters along the Red River. This might not be a warming hut, given it's exposed and doesn't look warm. Maybe it's just a glorified bench or something?

Part of our second largest mega - hospital:

A portion of the Universite de Saint-Boniface:

Damn straight:

Skatin':

Yep:

Bridges are good:

If you're into that sort of thing:

Nothin' quite like skating:

Frozen. Like my wage, apparently:

The Canadian Museum for Human Rights, which, after several delays, should be complete in time for my great great great grandchildren to visit:

The Manitoba Legislative Building peeking through in the distance:

Nifty:

A building roughly 4600 years old. It's a francophone museum now:

Louis Riel, arguably the founding father of Manitoba. In a hilarious twist, he was also hanged for treason. Good times, good times:

You heard it here first, kids:

Lookin' west across the Red:

I think we have a darn fine skyline for a metro area of around 800,000 people. Keep in mind this doesn't show the dense residential towers of Osbourne Village:

Do I have an old lamp fetish? Maybe:

Both the iconic bridge and museum faced controversy due to the costs involved, yet I must say the bridge kicks a significant amount of ass, and the yet-unopened museum sure adds a splash of life to an otherwise boxy downtown core:

There ya go. If a filthy rich, ancient foreigner cuts the ribbon, it MUST be good! I'm headed to the sewage treatment plant tomorrow to see Prince Philip open a new sanitation pool:

The ol' Saint Boniface cathedral, which essentially burned to the ground in the 60s:

There's an English half to this sign as well, but I thought I'd omit it to savour the ethnic flair:

Here's a thing:

Ye Olde Place:

Typical rental housing in St. Boniface:

This used to be St. Boniface's city hall back when it was a separate city. Now it's a tiny, underfunded museum:

The south west tower at my estate. Gotta keep the Hungarians out:

I trudged in snow above my knees to get this shot. But I'm no hero. Only a man:

Obligatory Portage and Main shot:

A study in trees:

I'm a brilliant photographer. Don't question it:

To the left is our revolving tower restaurant (every city needs one!), soon to re-open. To the right is an alien robot monster:

This hospital has roughly the same skyline as Sherbrooke, Quebec:

Neige:

I also like signs:

An emerging condo district north of the core:

Yep redux:

All right, I like new lamps too:

Thar she be:

More snow:

Flying saucer:

Bit of contrast:

Sky:

This soldier would have been poorly dressed yesterday:

Gotham in miniature:

I've got nothin':

Average downtown shot:

They officially announced plans for the extension of our pathetically tiny rapid transit line yesterday:

Can you cats dig it?

I've always been a sucker for these shots:

They don't build 'em like they used to:

I like these lil' fellas:

My favorite building in the city is probably the Electric Railway Chambers:

Here's something:

Neat glass work, I guess:

Portage Avenue:

Our newest commercial highrise:

The checkered spine of the blue building is actually a solar chimney. Now you know!

I think this is now part of a downtown Mennonite college:

I don't know why I dig this cluttered shot. But I do:

"It's so long and hard!" she gasped. I'm talkin' about the flag pole, you sick bastards:

I'll leave y'all with this bland shot, because it's the last one that popped up on my Flickr page:

Thanks for browsing my photos of dubious quality, folks! I hope you enjoyed a little tour of my snowy city. Have a swell evening filled with drugs, sex, rock'n'roll, and maybe some cheese. Definitely some cheese.

Word.

Last edited by Lenin; Jan 28, 2013 at 5:45 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos