HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:58 PM
Beefeater

I agree with bolognium that as far as a retail destination Richmond Row is the place in DT London and will likely continue to be that way for years to come due to factors like its already established as the spot and amenities like Victoria Park.

However where I think King and Talbot have taken over is in the non-university/college night scene. When I was going to school Richmond Row was the place to be and for current students it still very much is. Now that I'm in my late 20's I feel kind of out of place cruising Richmond Row bars. However heading down to King and Talbot I find a lot of place to go with people more in my demographic.

Much nicer than the old Ridout Tavern haha

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthesky View Post
I agree with bolognium that as far as a retail destination Richmond Row is the place in DT London and will likely continue to be that way for years to come due to factors like its already established as the spot and amenities like Victoria Park.

However where I think King and Talbot have taken over is in the non-university/college night scene. When I was going to school Richmond Row was the place to be and for current students it still very much is. Now that I'm in my late 20's I feel kind of out of place cruising Richmond Row bars. However heading down to King and Talbot I find a lot of place to go with people more in my demographic.

Much nicer than the old Ridout Tavern haha
You mean places like 29 Park?

No thank you...I'd rather get drunk by myself in my basement watching the Leafs lose than go to a pretentious bar like that.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:56 AM

Those are just some amazing photos. London has made some progress downtown, even during the years I lived there (2004-2008), but those pictures rock.

Another idea might be to bury the rail lines, at least from Colborne to Ridout, to create a more connected feel between downtown and the "other side of the tracks." That way, the city could encourage high density development right up to the Thames, sort of what they've doing with "SoHo." You need will to do that from CN though - perhaps if the city foots the cost?

Re Expanding Wellington - would be really tough past Baseline towards downtown. You'd have to buy up quite a bit of property there, and the benefits might not be worth it. London really needs to introduce express buses, and limit/ban road parking on the major arteries. There should be NO road parking on Oxford, Dundas and Richmond, for starters. That would do a lot (especially on Richmond and Oxford) to alleviate traffic problems.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:12 PM
User Registered

New ideas have emerged to aid in London's downtown vision. They include an expanded Grand Theatre and a expanded Museum London.

The Grand Theatre may be able to integrate the proposed performing arts centre into it, and Museum London could absorb other facilities like the Children's museum and bring it downtown.

Gallery here: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../19849136.html

Cost: about $200 million, bringing the grand total for the vision to about $700 million in 2012 dollars.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post

Cost: about $200 million, bringing the grand total for the vision to about $700 million in 2012 dollars.
That's a big chunk of change! What's the expected timeline for this $700 million budget plan?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues