HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
do you remeber when the Dartmouth 'terminal' was on the other side of Nantucket and food could be bought inside?
The Pizza was pretty good and the pinball machine was Black Knight

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:05 PM

pizza, I remember that, it was just a hut, but it was handy to have.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:15 PM

Just reviewing this thread and another memory came to light.

I don't know exactly when the Dairy Queen on Main St opened, but it was sometime in the mid-60s. This was a big deal, because prior to that all we had here in the way of ice cream chains was a Tastee-Freeze.

Our family had a summer cottage on Porters Lake so on weekends we would pile everything and everyone into the car and head that way. If the time was right and we were well-behaved we could sometimes convince the parents to stop at DQ for a treat.

A regular soft ice cream sundae soon became old hat and I began to explore the other offerings. I was grievously disappointed in Mr. Misty which was a slushie in a cup, and if you weren't patient (I wasn't) all you were left with was a cup of ice crystals. But I discovered they had a chocolate malted ice cream novelty on a stick which was fabulous. I cannot recall the name of it now but I loved those. The other thing I liked was a chocolate-dipped soft-serve cone which I had never seen before.

I remember us going there one day and the place was a zoo. There was a pop singer/band set up in the lot and people were everywhere, with a big crowd up on the hill above the property to watch the performance. We somehow found a spot and took in a few songs. Can't remember who it was for sure but Bobby Curtola might have been it.

Big time stuff!!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:46 PM

I remember taking the #11 from Scotia Square to the dartmouth side of the bridge (it was a short loop). Once in Dartmouth it was a separate bus company and the Dartmouth drivers made change. I can't remember how many dartmouth routes there were then.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:39 PM

I had mentioned an earlier recollection of being taken to the Town & Country Restaurant on Quinpool by my parents when I was a kid. Maybe a dozen years later during the week I graduated from university I wanted to take them to dinner on my own dime. The T&C was long gone by then but in the mid to late '70s the place to eat was Pepe's, on SGR, sort of exotic for the times, so I took them there. They had never been there.

As I recall the food was great and the service wonderful - in fact I can still somewhat recall the server, blonde, young, friendly, and very good. But (though they never said anything, then or later) I had the distinct sense they didn't like it there. It wasn't the kind of place people like them - lower middle-class, growing up in the Depression era, traditional eaters - would ever go to. There were no hot chicken sandwiches on the menu, no meat-and-potatoes stuff, very few things they would have had before. I remember feeling badly afterward. In retrospect, I should have let them pick the place to go.

That aside, Pepe's was great, and I was sorry to see it close - I guess it just went out of fashion. In later years the same ownership opened Cabbagetown down in the basement, a popular dance bar for a while.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

I don't know exactly when the Dairy Queen on Main St opened, but it was sometime in the mid-60s. This was a big deal, because prior to that all we had here in the way of ice cream chains was a Tastee-Freeze.

Our family had a summer cottage on Porters Lake so on weekends we would pile everything and everyone into the car and head that way. If the time was right and we were well-behaved we could sometimes convince the parents to stop at DQ for a treat.

A regular soft ice cream sundae soon became old hat and I began to explore the other offerings. I was grievously disappointed in Mr. Misty which was a slushie in a cup, and if you weren't patient (I wasn't) all you were left with was a cup of ice crystals. But I discovered they had a chocolate malted ice cream novelty on a stick which was fabulous. I cannot recall the name of it now but I loved those. The other thing I liked was a chocolate-dipped soft-serve cone which I had never seen before.

I remember us going there one day and the place was a zoo. There was a pop singer/band set up in the lot and people were everywhere, with a big crowd up on the hill above the property to watch the performance. We somehow found a spot and took in a few songs. Can't remember who it was for sure but Bobby Curtola might have been it.

Big time stuff!!
Was the ice cream on a stick called a Dilly Bar?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 1:07 AM

My ice cream memories were of Maple Leaf dairy on Chebucto Rd. Taken there many times as a kid.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:00 AM

I can remember when the waverly road was a quiet, fun road to push your car a bit before you opened it up on the almost vacant portobello rd. My dads cutlass siera was a bit heavy but if you only had one passenger, it one of the best suspensions in its class. The rotary was the only hurdle, it was like a crappy gateway to the rest of Dartmouth.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
Was the ice cream on a stick called a Dilly Bar?
That might have been it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Sobchak View Post
I can remember when the waverly road was a quiet, fun road to push your car a bit before you opened it up on the almost vacant portobello rd. My dads cutlass siera was a bit heavy but if you only had one passenger, it one of the best suspensions in its class. The rotary was the only hurdle, it was like a crappy gateway to the rest of Dartmouth.
Back in the early '80s (and before) you could get air under the tires before they cut down some of the hills.

Stupid teenage activity back then and way too dangerous now with the increased traffic/residential, but yeah I remember that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:09 PM

Lol I accidentally got air going over strath... One tends to have a moment of serious reflection when you have an Oldsmobile airborne.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I had mentioned an earlier recollection of being taken to the Town & Country Restaurant on Quinpool by my parents when I was a kid.
There was a second a Town and Country restuarant on Prince Albert Road in Dartmouth, roughly where the Quality Inn sits now. It was a single storey wood frame building, brown in colour, I believe, and Kentucky Fried Chicken was just one of the items on the menu, as was the norm at that time. (It was only later that Harland Sanders began to franchise stand-alone stores.) Going there and ordering "chicken and chips" was a huge treat when I was a kid in the early 60s. I still remember that the chicken was always tender, served on the restaurant's own china with the brown T&C logo, and with honey on the side.

Colonel Ernie Edwards was the first franchisee on the east coast and by the early sixties his was the top selling franchise in the chain. And yes, he was a real colonel, having been inducted in to the Honorary Order of Kentucky Colonels by Sanders himself. He died in 2008 and I expect would flip in his grave if he knew the state of the chain under corporate parent Yum Brands today. Not So Good.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 5:17 PM

http://can-restaurantnews.com/conten...a_legacy.shtml
interesting to read own to the comments section. The Edwards Family Charitable Foundation did a lot of good over the years.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Sobchak View Post
Lol I accidentally got air going over strath... One tends to have a moment of serious reflection when you have an Oldsmobile airborne.
Yes... when those seconds seem to stretch into hours...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
That was the first summer I worked for the federal government and I got to work on the computer network for the summit. It was awesome. I got to meet Clinton by chance. Very firm handshake as I recall.
Good old Richard Crowe was project manager IIRC.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:

Big time stuff!!
Was this the day?

Source

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I believe there was a Dominion grocery store where Park Lane is now. I vaguely remember going there when I was a kid. I think the Garden View is where Hakim Optical was.
Here's a pic:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...es.asp?ID=2153

There are a few more pics of the store on NS archives. Just search for "spring garden".

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I remember taking the #11 from Scotia Square to the dartmouth side of the bridge (it was a short loop). Once in Dartmouth it was a separate bus company and the Dartmouth drivers made change. I can't remember how many dartmouth routes there were then.
A yes, I remember the old Dartmouth buses...

From Halifax Municipal Archives
Source

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:22 AM

When I was a kid we lived on Tremont Dr in Rockingham and in those days I would go to the bus terminal on Dresden Row and get an Acadian Lines bus out the Bedford Hwy

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Here's a pic:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...es.asp?ID=2153

There are a few more pics of the store on NS archives. Just search for "spring garden".
When I was at Dal in the early 80's I had a room at the Lord Nelson ($275/month) and there was a connection between the Lord Nelson and the Dominion Store, I was in line buying a few things and Ravi Shakar and his wife were in front of me buying fruit; he was playing at the Cohn.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues