HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 8:16 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

YVR And Sea Island Developments Discussion II

This thread is a continuation of the previous thread. Please proceed.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:36 PM

-snip-

Last edited by madog222; Oct 23, 2023 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 11:22 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 12:32 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
According to this article, ZipAir is considering adding new destinations in North America and Vancouver is one of the listed cities. The other North American destination is Seattle, Portland, and Las Vegas.

The article is in Japanese.
https://sky-budget.com/2023/10/19/zipair-expand-routes/
Awesome, this would be a game changer!

The article sources from Nikkei Shimbun and I tracked down the original article at https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQ...01C23A0000000/. It is paywalled but if you hold an account you can read the full article, even with a free account (1 article per month). Note that sign-up is in Japanese.

However from my reading of it, it seems that priority is being given to the three American cities (Seattle, Portland and Las Vegas) over Vancouver, meaning we are the fourth option and potentially less important to Zipair than Portland and Las Vegas. Furthermore, only one of these cities is supposed to get a route in 2024, in line with the delivery of one new 787 aircraft (in general, one aircraft can make one round-trip per day to the West Coast).

They will get 2 more 787s (to expand the fleet from 8 to 10) by fiscal 2025, but they may be used to increase frequencies on existing routes instead of launching more new west coast routes.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 3:52 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I can see why this is popular…

Many of the passengers from Vancouver connect in Fiji to flights to New Zealand and Australia. One advantage of flying Fiji Airways, Stroebel said, is that passengers can book free stopovers for up to 72 hours in Fiji in each of their flights' directions, before they continue to their final destinations.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 6:55 PM

^ They’re basically emulating what Icelandair pioneered between NA and Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Awesome, this would be a game changer!

The article sources from Nikkei Shimbun and I tracked down the original article at https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQ...01C23A0000000/. It is paywalled but if you hold an account you can read the full article, even with a free account (1 article per month). Note that sign-up is in Japanese.
Or you just translate the originally linked article to English. All the web browsers have the built-in option. Safari, Chrome, etc.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:09 AM

Why on Earth would ZipAir consider flying to Portland? It's not a nice city and connections from there are lacking. I can understand the other three but not Portland, unless their landing fees are substantially lower to entice ultra-low cost airlines.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Why on Earth would ZipAir consider flying to Portland? It's not a nice city and connections from there are lacking. I can understand the other three but not Portland, unless their landing fees are substantially lower to entice ultra-low cost airlines.
In answer to that, I have a suggestion. First, on a business or financial metric, the GDP of Portland is higher that that of Vancouver, by several billion$ US, with Seattle almost doubling it, naturally.
This would mean that economy-wise, PDX is as significant a draw as YVR. / Additionally, when you say Portland is not a nice city, I agree it has its problems, but also like to point out its charms: a vibrant and notable music scene, traditional architecture, good transit, views of Mount Hood, and a sunnier climate than Vancouver's.

These are only suggestions; I'm not contradicting you, but suggest suggesting why Portland is on the airline's roster too. Vancouver might be the most glamorous looking of the three PNW metros, but Seattle and Portland have a lot of cultural and economic substance, too, much of it that we don't have, on every metric.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:32 AM

Quote:
I have been on the Air Canada flight from Portland to Vancouver a few times. There is usually a good number of passengers connecting onto Air Canada flights to Asia.

As for Portland not being a nice city, my last trip there I stayed at a Marriot property downtown. On the first day for breakfast I had a window table. Some one came up sat down with his back on the other side of the window right against my table. He consumed a caned energy drink, folded the can into a pipe and smoked something. Then stood up and wondered away in a zombie. The hotel staff were indifferent to it all.

The next day I asked for a table away from the window.

Yes, Portland has its problems.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
As for Portland not being a nice city, my last trip there I stayed at a Marriot property downtown. On the first day for breakfast I had a window table. Some one came up sat down with his back on the other side of the window right against my table. He consumed a caned energy drink, folded the can into a pipe and smoked something. Then stood up and wondered away in a zombie. The hotel staff were indifferent to it all.
Ah, the Portland Special. At least the weary traveler didn't take a dump there and then, but saved that show for other patrons probably down the street.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:24 PM

Sounds like Portland isn’t as bad as Vancouver then

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:58 AM

Any word on when YVR will start flying more planes to/from China, including HK? Average is $2k for non direct and $2.5k+ for direct, which seems crazy! I know the economic conditions in China and geopolitical tensions aren't helping, but still.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Sounds like Portland isn’t as bad as Vancouver then

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 11:48 AM
G'day

AC launches YVR - DXB today!

AC78 departs at 2100 C-FVNF B789

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 8:53 PM

Here’s an interesting route that’s now live on Flair….

Vancouver - Guadalajara (GDL)
Starting next summer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Here’s an interesting route that’s now live on Flair….

Vancouver - Guadalajara (GDL)
Starting next summer.
I have a friend from there and we went to Honey's Doughnuts in Deep Cove and they were speaking and she said she was also from Guadalajara and that every Mexican she meets in Vancouver seems to be from there too, so it should serve them well.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:14 AM

It looks like YVR-BKK will be going daily during January and February.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
It looks like YVR-BKK will be going daily during January and February.
And at the same time, they increase YVR-HKG to 11x weekly until end of Feb, then 10x weekly until end of March.

So AC really meant it when they said they are reallocating resources from Europe to Asia for this winter. They move 2x 789 to YVR for the increase in BKK and HKG, as well as upgauge NRT and PVG to 77W through most of the winter.

Also note from the AC press release of YVR-DXB, they finally stated that it's a seasonal route. So now the question is what will rotate with SIN and fly on the other 3 days? Looks like now the top contender is the additional frequency to HKG, which had just been extended all the way to the start of S24 season, 3x weekly, and departs at the same time as SIN at 12:15am.

Last edited by nname; Nov 2, 2023 at 9:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 1:35 AM

Hyatt Place Vancouver International Airport (2026)
Hyatt House Vancouver International Airport (2026)

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/canadagrowth

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Hyatt Place Vancouver International Airport (2026)
Hyatt House Vancouver International Airport (2026)

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/canadagrowth
Hyatt Place from a 2018 rezoning for the Bridgeport Station area.

Don't know about Hyatt House.

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2018/01/1...-for-richmond/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure