HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:13 AM

London traffic light system

Finally London is upgrading the Traffic Light system.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/24/lo...mmittee-briefs

If they do this right; we can finally have a system that encourages the smooth flow of traffic so your not stopping at every red light.

Now it seems the lights are deliberately programmed to be sync'd to go red.

A smart traffic light system can dramatically improve traffic flow and transit times during rush hours and in wee hours of the night.

Please get it right.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post

If they do this right; we can finally have a system that encourages the smooth flow of traffic so your not stopping at every red light.

A smart traffic light system can dramatically improve traffic flow and transit times during rush hours and in wee hours of the night.

Please get it right.
Cool, maybe we will not need Red Light Cameras after all.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:31 PM
Sanity merchant

lol, yea right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
Cool, maybe we will not need Red Light Cameras after all.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post

Please get it right.
I hope so. I was driving down Southdale (easterly from Wonderbread), and I managed to hit every single goddamned fucking traffic light (there are about a million) past Wellington. Cursing, I was.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:34 AM

Good, about time! & I hope the fix the sensors, they are terrible. Half the time you're sitting there forever waiting for the light to change. But another cool idea, I got it from driving in Tillsonburg at night. I'd say from 12am to 6am, have the traffic lights on the main streets flashing yellow, and red for the side streets. I would exclude downtown though on the weekends till about 3am or so.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:24 PM

The city will be piloting a new traffic-signal system that will give pedestrians a 5 second head-start before the light turns green for vehicles. This is called a leading pedestrian interval, and it will be piloted at Dundas and Wellington.

Other cities such as Toronto have this set-up at some intersections and it has been successful over there.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...A1U1GimRl8aVL4

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:59 PM
User Registered

I hope right turns on red aren't allowed with that kind of setup.

You could also do a pedestrian scramble- where pedestrians can use the whole intersection for like 30 seconds. You can cross diagonally here while all road traffic is stopped. Maybe too ambitious for London however... you need a lot of pedestrians to make that work best.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
You could also do a pedestrian scramble- where pedestrians can use the whole intersection for like 30 seconds. You can cross diagonally here while all road traffic is stopped. Maybe too ambitious for London however... you need a lot of pedestrians to make that work best.
I could be mistaken but I thought that London used to have an intersection like that. Possibly at King and Clarence?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 10:04 PM

How old are you people? lol. I don't remember when it was taken out, but I remember very clearly the scramble crosswalk at King and Clarence. Used to use it to go from Wellington Square to the London Centre Arcade, and then over to Novacks and Dr Disc. I know it was in operation back in the 60's, which is even before my time.

Dundas and Wellington is a terrible intersection to pilot this at. What info are they going to get when you have one direction completely closed to traffic (westbound) and both directions of Wellington restricted due to construction at King?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 11:24 AM

Hopefully this is part of the computerized light sync system to fix the non stop red lights and needless idling.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I hope right turns on red aren't allowed with that kind of setup.
It's a pipe dream. I still see many people making right hand turns off of King Street, even though you aren't supposed to anymore.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
It's a pipe dream. I still see many people making right hand turns off of King Street, even though you aren't supposed to anymore.
Well at the one intersection that they have put this in they also made it so you can't turn right on a red.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure